PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breakout Player of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick27

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We've seen the likes of Flowers and Cannon in recent years...so who do you all think (or hope) is next?

My HOPE is that Malcom Brown takes a big leap, and lives up to his 1st round selection by being a dominant player. He hasn't been bad, just would like to see him play at a high level more consistently.. especially because the Pats having a 1st round pick isn't exactly a thing that happens on a year-to-year basis.

Thuney and Roberts are two guys who come to mind as well.

Thuney had a fairly decent first year, and has received solid reviews from the coaching staff as far as potential. I don't know if he's the next Mankins like some have said, but he looks like someone who could become a dependable starter for years to come.

Roberts' play seemed to dip after having a good run earlier in the season. Outside of IOL depth, having another consistent ILB has been a concern. The second worst doomsday scenario for this 2017 team in my opinion (other than losing the GOAT) would be losing Hightower to injury for the year. Hopefully Roberts can show he's capable of handling a greater role.

Thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Given the criteria my vote goes to Elandon Roberts. He had a good rookie year and will likely be LB2 next to Hightower so plenty of reps and opportunities to step up and be a big contributer.

I will take a gamble on Cyrus Jones. He struggled at Alabama in the beginning as well before figuring it out.

(this thread will be forgotten but if he plays well I will find it at the end of the season :))

I'm not sure if he'd fit the criteria, but I have a good feeling about Mike Gilleslee. I think he's going to contribute nicely.

As far as a player who has already been on our team, I'll go with Brown.

Gotta go with Malcolm Mitchell and Cyrus Jones...

Then there is soon to be signed Jason McCourty who will flourish in this D backfield....

I will take a gamble on Cyrus Jones. He struggled at Alabama in the beginning as well before figuring it out.

(this thread will be forgotten but if he plays well I will find it at the end of the season :))

Then there is soon to be signed Jason McCourty who will flourish in this D backfield....

Came here to say the same thing. Cyrus Jones is my big candidate.

Especially after Mayo was saying something similar a few times to the QuickSlants staff according to Curran/Perry.

Jones would be my pick.

I have Van Noy as a dark horse to emerge as a 3 down LB.

My vote would be for Thuney - got so much valuable experience with those snaps last year. I expect him to drop the penalties and be one of the best G's in the NFL.

Could be a dominant O-line - pass pro AND run blocking.

Those are my picks. Mitchell and Jones. Not sure there is room for Jason any longer. Are you thinking they will try to convert him to safety?

With the addition of #17 Brandon Cook....... breakout player will be #19 Malcom Mitchell

Malcolm Mitchell would have been my pick.

Except I would argue that the addition of Brandon Cooks will prevent Malcolm Mitchell from being a true breakout player because there are only so many balls to go around.

I mean really if healthy in terms of yards you have

Cooks 1000
Gronk 1000
Edelman 800
Hogan 600
White 500

I gave all those players less yards than they had in 2016(excepting Gronk who only played 8 games) and that is already 3900 yards. And it doesn't include Allen, Dion Lewis, or Amendola.

With the addition of #17 Brandon Cook....... breakout player will be #19 Malcom Mitchell
I love Malcolm, but I just don't see it this year due to how many targets we have ahead of him in Cooks, Edelman, Gronk... As well as other targets like Hogan, Dola, Allen, Lewis, White...

There's just too many guys around him for him to break out yet... this year anyway. I don't see him eclipsing much above his stats last year.

You could say he broke out last year, but this year I think Flowers really, really breaks out. I really think he might have some Pro Bowl nods coming his way the next few years.

OG: Joe Thuney had a Breakout Rookie year Starter from Day 1. I don't think he counts here.

Malcolm Mitchell would have been my pick.

Except I would argue that the addition of Brandon Cooks will prevent Malcolm Mitchell from being a true breakout player because there are only so many balls to go around.

I mean really if healthy in terms of yards you have

Cooks 1000
Gronk 1000
Edelman 800
Hogan 600
White 500

I gave all those players less yards than they had in 2016(excepting Gronk who only played 8 games) and that is already 3900 yards. And it doesn't include Allen, Dion Lewis, or Amendola.

Edelman 800yds I don't think so I would think he would be more lethal with the additional Targets. Edelman gets open quicker than any of Brady's other targets.

Duron Harmon.

Not that we don't know he can play, but I think he trending towards stardom. The team will be sure he plays enough, even though they already have a great FS.

Defensively, my bet is on Rowe. Offensively, I would say Mitchell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes