PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The first 4 games the Patriots gave up an average of 32 PPG in the first 4 games (128/4) . The last 5 they gave up 13,4PPG (67/5). Stats are not everything though.

When I watched them those first 4 games I thought they weren't as bad as 32PPG. Some amazing plays were made against them and the consistently good plays on key 3rd downs the offenses made were rare. It seemed to me that while the defense was bad it wasn't playing historical as bad as those numbers would suggest.

This D the last 5 games and are only giving up 13.4 PPG but they have had a lot of things go their way. Key drops or missed throws on 3rd down. TDs called back by penalties and fumbles outside the endzone and just catching guys on a bad day. A lot of things went right vs a lot of bad offenses.

This D has turned it around a fair amount but they are not yet where they need to be in my personal opinion. I don't think the play on the field is a true indicate of the level of dominance shown on the score board. This D doesn't get enough pressure and the run D hasn't been as dominant as it needs to be considering the lack of pressure they are generating. I am not trying to be a "chicken little". I am saying improvement still needs to be made and I think it can and will be made.

Branch has not had a great year. I hope he can turn it on more in the 2nd half. Malcolm Brown hasn't played the last few games. The first 7 he was their best DT and I think he is starting to trend in the right direction. Marsh was a big reason they gave up a lot of run yards. They can fix that easily being more selective of the downs he plays and making sure when he is in to have a defender spy his way if it turns into a run play.

LB has stabilized a good deal. Van Noy has become pretty solid and Roberts isn't gambling and playing back more which is welcome. The key at LB though will be Harris whose snaps have gone up 3 games straight and has really been playing solid and sound.

Butler and Gilmore have not both been on the field and played well at the same time. That should happen more going forward. The secondary's best games are to come.

A lot of the hard work has been done already but I still to win a championship this D needs to clean up a few more things. Lots of time left though and I think they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back