PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BOSTON CELTICS vs. Washington Wizards (Eastern semi-finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as IT gets to play next to AB and Smart, his defensive liabilities are exploited less...

Bradley and Smart are a real problem for opponents.. and unfortunately there is no chance they can keep Bradley when his deal is up

I didn't notice before game #1 if Isaiah wore a mouth guard, but I noticed he had one last night.

Anyone know if he didn't have his mouth guard when he lost his tooth?

It is hard. IT has totally won me over emotionally. I love that dude. He is a tough hombre. Last thing I want to see is him walking.

But.....

A 14/14/4blks a game guy is what this team desperately needs. This allows Horford for play PF. If they can land such a player that softens the blow if they need to deal Smart, Bradley, etc. for a big.

One thing we do know....Danny will be unemotional about it.
They.. SHOULD have some room, even if they keep IT. I don't think Olynik or AJohnson will be back next year. I really don't know what's out there in FA, as I don't follow the NBA like I used to. Back in the mid 80's I played for their front office tag football team, and was friendly with their GM at the time (Jan Volk), so I knew the league well. Now....not so much.

The fact is that Danny has built a very competitive team, which now needs to take the next step. He's done an amazing job accumulating assets over the years, with some interesting European prospect that he's stashed for future inclusion, not to mention 2 more lottery picks coming from Brooklyn.

I wouldn't sleep on Jaylen Brown, btw. These kids come out so young these days that it really takes 3 years before they are really ready to play in the league. I think he's had a decent year so far. Brad Stevens has done a great job easing him into the game. His role WILL increase next year. And maybe make Crowder expendable???

I understand that and I did not say he should win - but I hope he gets votes. He has done it all year. My impression is that Harden will win - Westbrook is seen as a stat hound.

Ok, fair enough. Will be interesting to see who wins and who got votes. I'd be happy for IT to get a few votes with how stiff the competition behind Harden and Westbrook is.

I understand that and I did not say he should win - but I hope he gets votes. He has done it all year. My impression is that Harden will win - Westbrook is seen as a stat hound.

I expect Westbrook to win.

I'm still not completely sold on IT as an elite player (defense, passing, playmaker) but there is no denying he is a leader and has the will of a lion.

This team is a sub .500 team without him. They might even be a lottery team.
He has had some amazing one hand/left handed assists/lobs. They've also missed a bunch of shots that he set up perfectly. He also had 3 assists and 4 rebounds last night. IT has been SO much fun to watch all season. The biggest surprise to me has been Horford. He's not going to take over a game but he seems to be doing everything well.

They.. SHOULD have some room, even if they keep IT. I don't think Olynik or AJohnson will be back next year. I really don't know what's out there in FA, as I don't follow the NBA like I used to. Back in the mid 80's I played for their front office tag football team, and was friendly with their GM at the time (Jan Volk), so I knew the league well. Now....not so much.

The fact is that Danny has built a very competitive team, which now needs to take the next step. He's done an amazing job accumulating assets over the years, with some interesting European prospect that he's stashed for future inclusion, not to mention 2 more lottery picks coming from Brooklyn.

I wouldn't sleep on Jaylen Brown, btw. These kids come out so young these days that it really takes 3 years before they are really ready to play in the league. I think he's had a decent year so far. Brad Stevens has done a great job easing him into the game. His role WILL increase next year. And maybe make Crowder expendable???

In theory they should have room for another max deal. Johnson, Jerebko and Green are gonners. Zeller and Olynck have expiring deals and could be moved as part of a package.

IT will want a max deal. I'm inclined to give it to him even though hes a defensive liability. They need someone else to can create their own shot. Maybe Brown can be that guy but I think it will be more like 2019 when he reaches that level. Love that kid.

The question is how *****y will AB be with his deal this summer as it expires next summer. He might be part of a package to grab a top 15 player from a team w/ cap problems. Maybe if Ballmer blows up Doc and the LAC, Danny can pry away DeAndre Jordan for picks?

Last edited:
Maybe the best basketball game I've ever seen. NBA playoffs>>>>March Madness.

He has had some amazing one hand/left handed assists/lobs. They've also missed a bunch of shots that he set up perfectly. He also had 3 assists and 4 rebounds last night. IT has been SO much fun to watch all season. The biggest surprise to me has been Horford. He's not going to take over a game but he seems to be doing everything well.
Horford has stepped it up no question.

I actually think IT is a very good playmaker. He just doesn't do it enough. The counter-argument is the offense works and I don't hear any grumbling. At the end of the day we want IT taking the majority of the shots.

In theory they should have room for another max deal. Johnson, Jerebko and Green are gonners. Zeller and Olynck have expiring deals and could be moved as part of a package.

IT will want a max deal. I'm inclined to give it to him even though hes a defensive liability. They need someone else to can create their own shot. Maybe Brown can be that guy but I think it will be more like 2019 when he reaches that level. Love that kid.

The question is how *****y will AV be with his deal this summer as it expires next summer. He might be part of a package to grab a top 15 player from a team w/ cap problems. Maybe if Ballmer blows up Doc and the LAC, Danny can pry away DeAndre Jordan for picks?
DeAndre Jordan would be a great addition. Karl Anthony Towns would be even better but I don't think they could pry him away even if they traded their entire stockpile of picks.

DeAndre Jordan would be a great addition. Karl Anthony Towns would be even better but I don't think they could pry him away even if they traded their entire stockpile of picks.

There was rumbling around Andre Drummond being moved during the winter. Hes five years younger than DeAndre but can't shoot free throws for ****. Jordan's deal is up in a couple of years so not sure Danny wants to give up a top 3 pick for that.

The question is how *****y will AB be with his deal this summer as it expires next summer. He might be part of a package to grab a top 15 player from a team w/ cap problems. Maybe if Ballmer blows up Doc and the LAC, Danny can pry away DeAndre Jordan for picks?

You have to look at this team as if you're going to completely overhaul it. There are too many important players who won't be retained, because they're all going to want to get paid. The only real cog, among the key 5, that's definitely not going to be moving soon is old man Horford.

Crowder
Bradley
Smart
Thomas

This is the paradox of IT. His defense is just horrible. He can't stop anyone. Here's the Celtics problem. They really need an elite rebounder/rim protector. The problem is that the consensus top 3 picks are all point guards. Plus with Rozier and Smart they already have 2 decent back up point guards, who don't have nearly the offensive skill of IT, but both play good defense and Smart is turning into an elite defender. A back court of Smart and Bradley would be perhaps the best defensive backcourt in the league.

So the question is, would the Celts be better off letting IT walk, draft a great point guard prospect, pick up an elite rebounder/rim protector in FA, and hope that Brown continues to develop into an impact player, and hope the great defense you get makes up for the points you lose if IT walks.

That being said, it is hard to imagine the Celts letting IT go. He has won over the city with his play all season, and cemented his legacy with this playoff run. What a big heart, and is really fun to watch. But the fact is that when he is one the court, the Celts are playing 4 on 5 all the time.

Who is the 3rd PG in your consensus top 3? To me, top 4 is Fultz, Jackson, Ball and Tatum. 2 PGs and 2 forwards. Fultz is perfectly capable of playing off the ball and would help a lot. He'll be able to create his own shot. I wouldn't touch Ball with a 20 foot pole. Tatum reminds me a lot of Paul Pierce. Jackson is an elite athlete who could add a forward who plays stifling defense. Since they're guaranteed a top 4 pick and if they get 4 I'm quite confident someone will take Ball ahead of them, I'm pretty happy no matter the outcome.

You have to look at this team as if you're going to completely overhaul it. There are too many important players who won't be retained, because they're all going to want to get paid. The only real cog, among the key 5, that's definitely not going to be moving soon is old man Horford.

Crowder
Bradley
Smart
Thomas

This feels like the 2002 and 2005 Celtics. Good enough to make noise in the playoffs but too much roster flux and not enough Grade A talent to legitimately push for a title.

What blows is you have your top 3 defenders all with tenuous roster positions.

This feels like the 2002 and 2005 Celtics. Good enough to make noise in the playoffs but too much roster flux and not enough Grade A talent to legitimately push for a title.

What blows is you have your top 3 defenders all with tenuous roster positions.

Yes, and you need that defensive ability to offset the suck that is Thomas' defense.

Yes, and you need that defensive ability to offset the suck that is Thomas' defense.

Yep. Danny needs to decide if he wants to rebuild or load up for 2018 and be a lottery team in 2020.

Hopefully we get the top pick and take Fultz. Keep Fultz and Brown. Butler and George aren't worth giving up roughly 8 years of control of these young studs.

Incredible game yesterday. IT, all of 5'9", was the best player on the court. Really inspirational stuff.
Yet all we hear is how Butler and Wall were the best players in the series. People hate IT and but love the inefficient Iverson.

Yet all we hear is how Butler and Wall were the best players in the series. People hate IT and but love the inefficient Iverson.

Yea but if you are starting a team you take Wall and it's not even much of a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes