PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BOSTON CELTICS vs. Washington Wizards (Eastern semi-finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't live in NE and do not watch the Celts a ton during the regular season, but IT better get some MVP votes. Cause right now that little man is the heart and guts of that team. I still am amazed to see someone so small take a game over night after night.

i like our chances of competing even this season

but if we get another superstart (or some of our youngs turn into that) then we might have the kind of delta between Cs and rest of league as the Pats do in their league...being a top 4 NBA team w/ this roster is insane, def the sum greater than parts kinda deal

a star C/PF would make this squad unbelievable

They just showed Butler and Mitchell sitting courtside.

See Malcolm, it's not just the Pats who are gr8 in Boston. Work it out with BB and sign.

You KNOW you want to be here.

Brady said "They can't measure heart" about the draft the other day but it fits Isaiah perfectly. He's all heart. It takes a special person to be able to do what he does while dealing with such a big personal tragedy. Seems there's nothing he can't overcome.

I'm still not completely sold on IT as an elite player (defense, passing, playmaker) but there is no denying he is a leader and has the will of a lion.

This team is a sub .500 team without him. They might even be a lottery team.

Once we encounter a team with a swing that can ball handle we're going to essentially be playing 4 on 5 and agonizingly give up easy buckets. That's basically every team that will still be in the playoffs after this round. Only way to beat those teams is to be up 10+ in the 4th so they can't slow down the game.

But **** it let's enjoy it while we can!

I don't live in NE and do not watch the Celts a ton during the regular season, but IT better get some MVP votes. Cause right now that little man is the heart and guts of that team. I still am amazed to see someone so small take a game over night after night.

The MVP is voted on before the playoffs start. This year it's going to basically be Westbrook with Harden as the runner up - ironic since OKC was knocked out by Houston in the 1st round.

Would also like to give a shout out to the crowds at these past two games. The Garden has been rocking.

Would also like to give a shout out to the crowds at these past two games. The Garden has been rocking.

Wall basically said the same thing. The crowd made it very hard on the Wizards.

John Walls problem is that he can't shoot the ball.

I'm still not completely sold on IT as an elite player (defense, passing, playmaker) but there is no denying he is a leader and has the will of a lion.

This team is a sub .500 team without him. They might even be a lottery team.
IT is a top 5 PG in the NBA, and thats labeling westbrook, harden, curry as PGs

on defense he really plays bigger than his man, not sure how...if teams start isolating him in the paint it may prove tough for him but they havent tried...

In basketball more than any other sport one man can make or break a team. You need stars to compete for a title

Well yeah, he is our star. Take away most teams' #1s and there will be a major decline in performance.

Yep! The challenge in quantifying Thomas's value is he basically gives up the same number of points he scores.

Clearly to win consistently they need him scoring a ton AND/OR the rest of the team needs to play lockdown D. Nylon Calculus: Boston Celtics are falling apart without Isaiah Thomas

However his D is brutal. Isaiah Thomas’ Defense is a Major Problem

If you want to get into the whole analytics/sabermetrics angle, IT equals +12.5 wins (LeBron is +12.9). That is ELITE.

Where it gets interesting is if you add a guy like Rudy Gobert who has a WS of +14.3, he represents an upgrade over IT and he only scores 14ppg but is a defensive and rebounding monster.

IT is a top 5 PG in the NBA, and thats labeling westbrook, harden, curry as PGs

on defense he really plays bigger than his man, not sure how...if teams start isolating him in the paint it may prove tough for him but they havent tried...
He getting up more in his man's shorts and redirecting the defender to shot outside or funnel him to help. Hes been doing that more in the last couple of months. Hes getting a lot of help which is working.

Yep! The challenge in quantifying Thomas's value is he basically gives up the same number of points he scores.

Clearly to win consistently they need him scoring a ton AND/OR the rest of the team needs to play lockdown D. Nylon Calculus: Boston Celtics are falling apart without Isaiah Thomas

However his D is brutal. Isaiah Thomas’ Defense is a Major Problem

If you want to get into the whole analytics/sabermetrics angle, IT equals +12.5 wins (LeBron is +12.9). That is ELITE.

Where it gets interesting is if you add a guy like Rudy Gobert who has a WS of +14.3, he represents an upgrade over IT and he only scores 14ppg but is a defensive and rebounding monster.
This is the paradox of IT. His defense is just horrible. He can't stop anyone. Here's the Celtics problem. They really need an elite rebounder/rim protector. The problem is that the consensus top 3 picks are all point guards. Plus with Rozier and Smart they already have 2 decent back up point guards, who don't have nearly the offensive skill of IT, but both play good defense and Smart is turning into an elite defender. A back court of Smart and Bradley would be perhaps the best defensive backcourt in the league.

So the question is, would the Celts be better off letting IT walk, draft a great point guard prospect, pick up an elite rebounder/rim protector in FA, and hope that Brown continues to develop into an impact player, and hope the great defense you get makes up for the points you lose if IT walks.

That being said, it is hard to imagine the Celts letting IT go. He has won over the city with his play all season, and cemented his legacy with this playoff run. What a big heart, and is really fun to watch. But the fact is that when he is one the court, the Celts are playing 4 on 5 all the time.

This is the paradox of IT. His defense is just horrible. He can't stop anyone. Here's the Celtics problem. They really need an elite rebounder/rim protector. The problem is that the consensus top 3 picks are all point guards. Plus with Rozier and Smart they already have 2 decent back up point guards, who don't have nearly the offensive skill of IT, but both play good defense and Smart is turning into an elite defender. A back court of Smart and Bradley would be perhaps the best defensive backcourt in the league.

So the question is, would the Celts be better off letting IT walk, draft a great point guard prospect, pick up an elite rebounder/rim protector in FA, and hope that Brown continues to develop into an impact player, and hope the great defense you get makes up for the points you lose if IT walks.

That being said, it is hard to imagine the Celts letting IT go. He has won over the city with his play all season, and cemented his legacy with this playoff run. What a big heart, and is really fun to watch. But the fact is that when he is one the court, the Celts are playing 4 on 5 all the time.

It is hard. IT has totally won me over emotionally. I love that dude. He is a tough hombre. Last thing I want to see is him walking.

But.....

A 14/14/4blks a game guy is what this team desperately needs. This allows Horford for play PF. If they can land such a player that softens the blow if they need to deal Smart, Bradley, etc. for a big.

One thing we do know....Danny will be unemotional about it.

The MVP is voted on before the playoffs start. This year it's going to basically be Westbrook with Harden as the runner up - ironic since OKC was knocked out by Houston in the 1st round.

I understand that and I did not say he should win - but I hope he gets votes. He has done it all year. My impression is that Harden will win - Westbrook is seen as a stat hound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back