PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount wants to stay; Our RB situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like what Blount have done for us but he's just not effective against Very Good/Elite Defenses. In the last Two SB's we won he was absolutely ineffective. We need a Young RB who can carry the load if we want to see Brady play into in 40's. Brady got Hit! hard against Houston Div Round and Atlanta in the SB our Schedule in 2017 is much more daunting we are playing some really good Defensive Teams. Brady needs an Elite or Good RB not named Blount in 2017.

Yet he scored the most TDs as a RB this year. You keep discrediting the work load Blount carries...obviously you haven't watched many games.

That SB showed we need to go younger
I'm still a bit surprised they didn't address it in the draft last year, let alone this year. It would be great to start getting a new RB or two acclimated while Blount is still here to batter defenses in the fourth quarter for one more year.

Your not in the minority. Blount is an average back and I actually wanted them to upgrade him last season. But he surprised me this season, because he did the job well. I don't put much stock into these 1-2 yard TD runs. So I don't care about the 18 TD's. But its not as easy to replace a big back like Blount.. if it was Blount would have been replaced.

But he almost costed us the damn super bowl. After that Fumble it just took points away from us and Atlanta started there domination.

That Fumble ultimately led to the pick 6. So imo that Fumble seemed to cost us a -17 point swing. Maybe thats unfair and fumbles happen but not in the Super Bowl.. BB doesn't tend to hold onto players that cost us Super Bowls. Even though we won amazingly.
While you make a great point, Blount should come on the cheap and help to allow a rookie to adjust. One more year of Blount is fine, but I'd like to see another back start to get into the mix.

This year, he had some of the best runs I have seen from a Patriot over the past 15 years. He drove the pile, he hurdeled guys and for the most part he had a great ball security, and it seems like he is one of those guys that helps gel the locker room.

Not sure BB values the RB position enough to invest in a stud. LG is the kind of big back that does well in New England and has not done well outside Foxboro. I expect him to be back at a team friendly rate and to continue to get a lot of touchdowns. LG's success has more to do with match-ups and game plans than his play. He strikes me at the kind of a guy who would run through a wall for Coach.

I get that Blount was not a top 5, or even a top 10 back last season.

At the same time, it's hard for me to say we didn't get our money's worth. For 1 year, $1M, we got quite a lot for that.

I agree, we can upgrade. But people are acting like he was a massive black hole on the roster, causing sucking all around him. He's just a decent RB who we didn't pay much, and he did his job, especially early on in the season when we needed him the most. I have a hard time saying he wasn't worth the money.

I also noticed how close he was to Brady and BB throughout. At the end of the Super Bowl, he's the first guy by Tom, and then he's there with BB and Brady as they embrace. I think he played a very big leadership role on the team, and I think he's gone, but I think his contributions went above and beyond just the stat sheet.

Lewis/Blount/White is a good RB trio. No need to address in this year's draft IMO. I'd focus on getting faster on D and some OL depth.
Nah they need one more in Blount's mold, if he goes down they don't have that traditional running back.

If we get a 1st round pick for Garopollo this might be the year to get a stud RB high to give Brady some relief in terms of pass attempts per game. And keep improving the O-line.

If the Pats are serious about extending Brady and betting on him for a few more years, that's a no brainer, don't think BB is not accounting for what those 4 games Brady missed might have helped him.

Thing is, as much as I would also like another stud RB, it won't matter at all how good he is if the O-Line can't block for him.

Right now, getting a GOOD back would be better than getting a stud, high-end RB and use the money saved to pick up some support for the O=Line.

Heck, that was Bledsoe's biggest problem. He was a great QB, but hardly ever had the time to find and hit his targets the way that Brady has today. But I digress.

I like Blount, he has created a role for himself and has become a very selfless player.

1168 career rushing attempts still tread left on the tire.

Thing is, as much as I would also like another stud RB, it won't matter at all how good he is if the O-Line can't block for him.

Right now, getting a GOOD back would be better than getting a stud, high-end RB and use the money saved to pick up some support for the O=Line.

Heck, that was Bledsoe's biggest problem. He was a great QB, but hardly ever had the time to find and hit his targets the way that Brady has today. But I digress.

Agree but at the same time that's kind of half true. It's not like all teams around the league have 5 great pieces in the O-line. The majority of the O-lines are average, yet, RB's find holes and make plays because they are young and faster. Part of the task for a good RB is improvising and finding a different lane than what was supposed to be in the play, we don't have that in Blount, we didn't have in Ridley, Vereen and the other guys are all 3rd down backs, Lewis is ok but it's uncertain his situation and he is a light weight too.

It's been years we don't have a RB capable of hitting a home run, I know that's almost by design considering we know how BB values the position but with Brady going in his final years it would help a lot. The investments in the O-line is an ongoing process and it's always happening anyway.

Last edited:
he missed some huge holes in the superbowl. and during the season.

hes great if you need to get one yard, but he looked like he was running in quicksand at the line this year. Just hit the hole, stop trying to get to the edge.

I get that Blount was not a top 5, or even a top 10 back last season.

At the same time, it's hard for me to say we didn't get our money's worth. For 1 year, $1M, we got quite a lot for that.

I agree, we can upgrade. But people are acting like he was a massive black hole on the roster, causing sucking all around him. He's just a decent RB who we didn't pay much, and he did his job, especially early on in the season when we needed him the most. I have a hard time saying he wasn't worth the money.

I also noticed how close he was to Brady and BB throughout. At the end of the Super Bowl, he's the first guy by Tom, and then he's there with BB and Brady as they embrace. I think he played a very big leadership role on the team, and I think he's gone, but I think his contributions went above and beyond just the stat sheet.

I agree, and I'll add that he contributed probably more than his on field efforts might lead one to believe. Having a half decent roleplaying power back puts a lot of options in your playbook, and Blount did that for us without barely putting a dent in the cap. I'm actually convinced that having him as an option kept Brady healthier, because teams could not blitz as effectively with Blount on the field, whether he wound up getting the ball or not.

Not that Blount is the only guy who coulda done it that, but his cap hit is so damn small that he still creates unique value as a cap-friendly power back.

My only concern is that if Brady does fall off at some point in the next 24 months, Blount's not the kind of guy who can step up and help carry the team from the running back position. As a second back he'd be fantastic, as a #1 he's fine if all he's doing is supplimenting a great QB, but if you demand a lot of plays from the run game you're left wanting just a bit more.

I'd bring Blount back on a 1 year vet-minimum deal, but nothing more than that. He was clearly wearing down the stretch this year, and he didn't seem to have that burst that he did earlier in the season. That said, I think he can be a great teacher to any new RBs coming into the Patriots system.

I'd be delighted if we drafted a couple of RBs this year, one all-rounder in Round 2/3 and a pass-catching backup in Rounds 4-7 - much like the Vereen/Ridley draft.

It's supposed to be a deep year for running backs - we should try to upgrade to a better RB to take the pressure off Brady, and take advantage of our improved OL.

I hope he gets 3M
He fits our team well, he gives us a power back who can block. He also is fine with being the featured back in one game and being a secondary player in the next one

Slowing down?? Did you see that sprint to hug James White at the end of the Superbowl?

:)

I hope they work out a way to keep him, I think he's a good fit for this offense.

I know exactly what you are talking about !! The speed at which he ran towards white, I was worried that he is going to knock the small guy out...

I wish Blount capped off the year with the winning TD. Darn that fumble.
Blount probably is the least deserving person on the team of having his season defined by one bad play in the superbowl

I don't care, I can't stand it.
Thought of no Blount depresses me.
I have an irrational fan crush watching the guy.
One. More. Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back