Blount wants to stay; Our RB situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
LeGarrette Blount “definitely” wants to stay in New England

He was flying in the beginning of the year, one of the biggest reasons we were 3-1 without Brady. Still, I think it was quite apparent that he wasn't running with the same agility and ferocity in the later part of the Season. Let's remember he is 30 years old.

At the very least, we need someone to fight him for his spot. I hear people here like McCaffey, but he seemed more like a West-East kind of runner (And receiving capabilities) rather than a Power back. I'm not a NCAA type of guy, so I have limited knowledge on him and this draft class.

One guy I'd keep an eye on is Mike Gillislee from the Bills. He played well against us this year (6/30 and 12/85/1TD) and he's a restricted FA. Maybe we can steal from this division rival like we did with Hogan

Surprised no one posted this yet.

LeGarrette Blount eager to stay with Patriots

I'd love for him to come back, and due to his history of being outside of New England, I think he'll come back here very cheap.

Even if we draft or sign a new RB, I say we might as well. Would it be possible to re up him for a year for around the ball park of 2 mill?

Whoops, look like you beat me to the punch.

I'm curious to see what we can resign Blount for. I think he could be a huge bargain.

If we get a 1st round pick for Garopollo this might be the year to get a stud RB high to give Brady some relief in terms of pass attempts per game. And keep improving the O-line.

If the Pats are serious about extending Brady and betting on him for a few more years, that's a no brainer, don't think BB is not accounting for what those 4 games Brady missed might have helped him.

1 year veteran minimum. He also has to be willing to accept he may become a gameday inactive if a rookie RB steps up:

Early down rb: rookie
Lewis
White
Bolden ST

Blount inactive

I wonder how effective he will be next year. He honestly I am not sure I want him back. He has looked slow at the end. The last 6 games he averaged under 4 YPA. He averaged exactly 4 the game before. It felt like to me he ran out of steam at the end of the year and into the playoffs. His best game at that point was vs Houston where he got an 18 yard run then did nothing else really.

IMHO if Blount is happy with the million or so he's been getting a year, he is a steal.

legarrette-blount.jpg

Plus he fits right in. :)

Last edited:
He may want to come back, but Belichick is ruthless. Definitely not up to Blount, if BB thinks he finished, he won't be in a Pat's uni next season. To be honest, I'd be surprised to see him back. Spent a lot of the SB on the bench, and when they needed a 2 yard TD to win it, the guy who scored 18 TDs (Blount) was on the bench and they gave it to White.

That doesn't diminish how much I like Blount, he's had some great regular seasons for the Pats (and a nice game against Indy in the 2014 AFCCG), but in SBs, he's no Dillon or Antowain Smith.

I've re-watched some of the games and it confirmed how much I like Blount. YPC isn't that revealing, given how he much he was used in those we-know-we're-running-they-know-we're-running situations.

The weakness I saw was that he didn't seem to be able to do much running behind Develin. The hole seemed to close before he got to it, so he would get a couple of yards, but not much more. Some of his best runs this year were runs to the outside, where he seemed quicker and better at making cuts than he was previously.

There are going to be a number of tough decisions this offseason. Blunt, Amondola, Ninko and Long are a few guys who can still play but are clearly close to the end of their career. With guys like this it's less about money and more about the roster spot.

Are you willing to give up a spot for a guy with no upside and a lot off downside potential while losing a young guy with a lot of upside? It's a tough proposition for the player.

Belichick has shown that he will choose to keep an older player a bit past his 'sell by' date if there is also leadership in play, Bruschi, Faulk, and Troy Brown come to mind as players who were allowed to hang on but I'm not sure any of the veterans on this team who are coming to the end of their careers fit into that category. If I had to guess Maybe Ninko is a guy like that but even he feels like a stretch IMO.

I think he comes back. BB likes cheap/value vets. Blount is that and we know he buys in to The Way.

Lewis/Blount/White is a good RB trio. No need to address in this year's draft IMO. I'd focus on getting faster on D and some OL depth.

I'm totally fine having Blount here for another year. He still has some gas left in the tank, maybe not the whole season but enough to have a rookie running back learn behind him for next season. We will need a stud RB that will be able to move the rock. We will need to reinforce our O-Line since Andrews gets bullied way too much down the middle. You can get a great running back but if the interior of the line is not doing their job then that's a tough situation.

Like what Blount have done for us but he's just not effective against Very Good/Elite Defenses. In the last Two SB's we won he was absolutely ineffective. We need a Young RB who can carry the load if we want to see Brady play into in 40's. Brady got Hit! hard against Houston Div Round and Atlanta in the SB our Schedule in 2017 is much more daunting we are playing some really good Defensive Teams. Brady needs an Elite or Good RB not named Blount in 2017.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back