PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday thread: the NFL Coaching Carousel

Would Flores come back if he isn’t hired as a HC?

Flores could get Texans job.

Some interesting perspective:

A majority of the coaching staff seems to be set for 2022. Multiple reports have indicated that the Texans hope to promote pass-game coordinator Pep Hamilton to offensive coordinator. As of this time, Smith is expected to return as defensive coordinator and Frank Ross will return as special teams coordinator. Basically, the next head coach likely will have little to no say in the staff for at least a year.
Whoever is hired will be under close watch by not just Caserio but also executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby. Easterby has been panned for his internal role with the team since arriving in 2019, but ownership and Caserio continue to stand behind him. This means he will have a say in the construction of the roster in free agency and the draft, along with building the coaching staff.

Sounds like a challenging environment to drop someone into, especially someone who got dinged by his past employer for communication issues.

They need to hire you.

We are witnessing sheer greatness every time that you chime in on a topic.
Nah, I’m not a professional football coach, but it’s good to see you have finally realized you are out of your league when you disagree with me.

That would be something, Leftwich successfully forcing Baalke out in favor of Patriots legend Adrian Wilson.

What does Adrian Wilson have to do with the Patriots?

I think that's obvious...Rodgers has said that he loves the guy.

Rodgers likes the guy doesn’t equal that the packers are going to trade him, that the broncos would offer the best deal of that there aren’t many other coaches Rodgers would prefer to play for. But sure let’s use an off the cuff positive comment about a customer as the proof of a conspiracy theory.

Rodgers likes the guy doesn’t equal that the packers are going to trade him, that the broncos would offer the best deal of that there aren’t many other coaches Rodgers would prefer to play for. But sure let’s use an off the cuff positive comment about a customer as the proof of a conspiracy theory.

The Packers can't afford him. They are currently $40 million above the salary cap. So it's not a question of "if" the packers are going to trade him, it's a question of to whom they will trade him. Then you have to look at the teams that can afford him - Denver is one of the few. Certainly the Broncos hiring Hackett is no guarantee of Rodgers coming to Denver, but it makes the Broncos more attractive to Rodgers and Adams. And I didn't say it was a "conspiracy." A "conspiracy" is when two or more parties agree on some secret course of action. This is more of a calculated move on the part of the Broncos.

Last edited:
The Packers can't afford him. They are currently $40 million above the salary cap. So it's not a question of "if" the packers are going to trade him, it's a question of to whom they will trade him. Then you have to look at the teams that can afford him - Denver is one of the few. Certainly the Broncos hiring Hackett is no guarantee of Rodgers coming to Denver, but it makes the Broncos more attractive to Rodgers and Adams. And I didn't say it was a "conspiracy." A "conspiracy" is when two or more parties agree on some secret course of action. This is more of a calculated move on the part of the Broncos.
Here are the betting odds of where Rodgers will land next year: good call on Denver....

Aaron Rodgers Odds For Week 1 Team For 2022-23 Season​

• Denver Broncos +300
  • Pittsburgh Steelers +400
  • Miami Dolphins +500
  • Philadelphia Eagles +600
  • Cleveland Browns +800
  • Las Vegas Raiders +950
  • New York Jets +1200
  • Tennessee Titans +1400
  • New Orleans Saints +1400
  • Carolina Panthers +1400
  • Seattle Seahawks +1600
  • New York Giants +1600
  • Baltimore Ravens +2000

The packers can afford to keep him more than they can afford a 26 mill hit to not have him. They gave many easy moves that will get them under the cap.

You said
maybe, but it’s getting them Rodgers/adams. Ultimately they will be a better team in 2022

You graded the hiring based upon that IT’S GETTING THEM not only Rodgers but also Adams. So yeah you basically did guarantee it

There are tons of impediments to that.

Maybe Rodgers gets traded. Maybe he retires. Maybe he goes back to GB any way, which he has been doing for years despite griping. Maybe someone else has a better package to offer GB than Denver does, and maybe Rodgers would prefer to go somewhere else.
Maybe Adams leaves too and maybe he gets better offers from other teams.

The point is that hiring a Hackett doesn’t hand them 2 players and make it a better hire.

Here are the betting odds of where Rodgers will land next year: good call on Denver....

• Denver Broncos +300
  • Miami Dolphins +500
  • Cleveland Browns +800
  • Las Vegas Raiders +950
  • New York Jets +1200
  • Tennessee Titans +1400
  • Seattle Seahawks +1600
  • New York Giants +1600
  • Baltimore Ravens +2000
You left out the odds he is in Green Bay -225

• Denver Broncos +300
  • Miami Dolphins +500
  • Cleveland Browns +800
  • Las Vegas Raiders +950
  • New York Jets +1200
  • Tennessee Titans +1400
  • Seattle Seahawks +1600
  • New York Giants +1600
  • Baltimore Ravens +2000
Yea, Broncos and Steelers make the most sense.

Pats signed him in 2013, but got injured in training camp and then was released in the offseason.
I accidentally call Adrian Phillips, Adrian Wilson more times than I should be.
I mean they play the same position their skillset is similar so there’s that I guess.
I remember the Pats signing Wilson cause I remember how stoked I was he was always one of my non Patriots favorite players.
As was Rodney Harrison as a Charger and had visions of a Milloy Harrison Monster tandem til we cut Milloy and put Geno Wilson back there who started with promise and then just became a jag.

Some of the players are the somebodies somewhere.

Is it all on the coaches?

Nope, definitely not all on the coaches, because there are indeed some players here who also suck, on both sides of the LOS & on STs.

It's also true that some players were not being used as well as they should've been used... Wrong calls, wrong coverages, wrong routes, wrong blocking assignments...

The packers can afford to keep him more than they can afford a 26 mill hit to not have him. They gave many easy moves that will get them under the cap.

You said

You graded the hiring based upon that IT’S GETTING THEM not only Rodgers but also Adams. So yeah you basically did guarantee it

There are tons of impediments to that.

Maybe Rodgers gets traded. Maybe he retires. Maybe he goes back to GB any way, which he has been doing for years despite griping. Maybe someone else has a better package to offer GB than Denver does, and maybe Rodgers would prefer to go somewhere else.
Maybe Adams leaves too and maybe he gets better offers from other teams.

The point is that hiring a Hackett doesn’t hand them 2 players and make it a better hire.

I didn't grade the hiring. Do you see a letter grade in my post? I told you it's too early to tell. You're the one who said it was a bad hire. And no, hiring Hackett doesn't hand the Broncos Rodgers/Adams, but it increases the odds.

Oh look....white guy, white guy.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back