PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick: Highest Paid Coach in North American Sports at $20m per

I’m sure coaches are the same. It’s just different on PatsFans.com.
Well coaches mostly work for free, they’re paid by other teams…but seriously, does BB look at his contract and say, you know what, you’re 71, past your prime, mediocre without Brady…you deserve 1 year 6 mil, with 200k in incentives?

He did mention the Chargers as one possibility. Bill would have to agree to it obviously. Would be tough for a 71 year old to uproot everything here and move across the country. Jerruh and Bill would be an interesting pairing especially

I think BB would love a trade to the Giants for obvious reasons but I think they're set with Daboll.
Hmmm, Daboll for Belichick swap?

If I’m Mr. Kraft, I would keep BB around as long as he is capable, but he must agree to make some obvious coaching changes. But they have to be his changes.

Get great players and coaches become legendary
Coach K couldn’t even win with great players at the end. A parade of top 10 NBA picks (Jayson Tatum), and he couldn’t coach them to the final 4. He just lived off his reputation and wasted the opportunity of the others in the program to succeed.

Bill has been doing the same. The Patriots have become his vanity project. It’s time for the Krafts to pull the plug. Yes, this could get worse for awhile, but it’s never going to get better until Bill is gone.

Coach K couldn’t even win with great players at the end. A parade of top 10 NBA picks (Jayson Tatum), and he couldn’t coach them to the final 4. He just lived off his reputation and wasted the opportunity of the others in the program to succeed.

Bill has been doing the same. The Patriots have become his vanity project. It’s time for the Krafts to pull the plug. Yes, this could get worse for awhile, but it’s never going to get better until Bill is gone.
I had to Google it Coach K last won in 2015 and up until last year it was also his final final 4 appearance. So 6-7 years. I'm as big a BB we trust guy but I wouldn't give him that long. It's been 4 already. Not sure how much good will the 2 playoff appearances should buy but if we haven't really shown signs of a new direction by the end of next year then IMO the seat should get really hot and I might not make it 7 years. For now he has enough good will stored up for me to look past some indiscretions and see what he still got. Beats the alternative. We jettison him to early and wonder the rest of our lives if we replaced him too soon with some boob we knew was destined to fail anyway.

Sadly I agree.
I’ve Always been a BB I trust but seeing the product the last few years it’s time to get a new regime a young offensive minded coach.
Kellen Moore Shane Strichen, Frank Smith, Wes Welker, I don’t see Sean Payton taking this gig I could be wrong.
Whoever takes over for BB has massive shoes to fill.
I would keep Wolf and Groh on as GM and assistant GM,
Those guys have done a great job.

Sadly I agree.
I’ve Always been a BB I trust but seeing the product the last few years it’s time to get a new regime a young offensive minded coach.
Kellen Moore Shane Strichen, Frank Smith, Wes Welker, I don’t see Sean Payton taking this gig I could be wrong.
Whoever takes over for BB has massive shoes to fill.
I would keep Wolf and Groh on as GM and assistant GM,
Those guys have done a great job.
The thing is wether it this off-season next or a few years from now you can always try this strategy. You Fire Bill and thats it it's over. I'd rather not be a year to early on this one.

You guys who are ready to move on are in for a nasty surprise

This should be directed at Kraft and Belichick regarding moving on from Brady.

Punting (at least) 3 Super Bowl contending years with Brady while also having no solid foundation for the future.

They could have just paid the man but decided blowing it on medicore free agent overpays ala a team like the Jags was the better move.

I had to Google it Coach K last won in 2015 and up until last year it was also his final final 4 appearance. So 6-7 years. I'm as big a BB we trust guy but I wouldn't give him that long. It's been 4 already. Not sure how much good will the 2 playoff appearances should buy but if we haven't really shown signs of a new direction by the end of next year then IMO the seat should get really hot and I might not make it 7 years. For now he has enough good will stored up for me to look past some indiscretions and see what he still got. Beats the alternative. We jettison him to early and wonder the rest of our lives if we replaced him too soon with some boob we knew was destined to fail anyway.
Comparing college basketball to the NFL is weird. One of the most celebrated teams in college history, Kansas, has been paying for 100+ years and only has 4 championships.

Here are all of the current head coaches I would take over Belichick:

Andy Reid
Sean McDermott
Sean McVay
Kyle Shanahan
Zac Taylor
Brian Daboll
Kevin O'Connell
Mike McDaniel

That's only 8.
Do you think altogether they will pass BB in SB rings?

Do you think altogether they will pass BB in SB rings?
If Reid hangs around with Mahomes long enough then he should get 2 more. That's 4 including McVay's 1. McDermott, Taylor and Shanahan are getting one a piece at least. If Allen breaks through for a ring then I could see him winning multiple with McDermott. Burrow looks like a multi-SB winner with Taylor. One or more of these head coaches / quarterbacks will underachieve in all likelihood but still >6 SB rings is probable for this collective group of head coaches.

Perhaps some of that money could have been used for an OL coach.

EGG-ZACTLY, Batman.

BINGO, Troy.

THANK YOU, mgt.

And therein, ladies & gentlemen, lies the snake-ish, Blatant, and Bold-Faced HYPOCRISY of it all.

Why in the world are the Krafts buying what he's selling regarding the sizes of the scouting and ESPECIALLY of the on-field staff when he's getting paid ALL that money... ALL BY HIMSELF?!?

Ol' Bobby oughta heed Jed Clampett's advice and have hisself a looonng talk wit' that boy...

I think people are prepared for it. I dint think anyone is going to be shocked if the next HC isn't that great or has growing pains. Or it could work out great like on the Giants this year.
Daboll replacing Judge is nothing like trying to replace BB

I just dont see why when a player is up for a contract, the team bases it off of their future, but for the coach its based off of the prior 20 years...Theres no consistency

There's no consistency because they aren't comparable, it's an apples to oranges situation. For a front office player contracts come down to managing the finite resource that is the NFL salary cap. Every player contract has an impact on the cap but coach's salaries don't take so much as a penny from it.

If Reid hangs around with Mahomes long enough then he should get 2 more. That's 4 including McVay's 1. McDermott, Taylor and Shanahan are getting one a piece at least. If Allen breaks through for a ring then I could see him winning multiple with McDermott. Burrow looks like a multi-SB winner with Taylor. One or more of these head coaches / quarterbacks will underachieve in all likelihood but still >6 SB rings is probable for this collective group of head coaches.
I'd hope/except that group should get more than BB but it took some serious assumptions to get there. they have two already and should get a third this year but then who knows.

I think it's fair to assign one more to Reid but after that who knows. I think I'd switch your should out with a could.

The rest still need to get one before you start assuming multiple.

Either way no need to quibble over small difference in opinion I just thought it adds a little context to this thread.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back