PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sean Payton replaces Bill Belichick as the highest-paid coach in America

Doesn't BB have some kind of clause in his contract that makes him the highest paid head coach in the NFL? Or is that just some myth?

Doesn't BB have some kind of clause in his contract that makes him the highest paid head coach in the NFL? Or is that just some myth?

Hell, we don't even know how long his contract runs, let alone how much he's paid!

Belichick is just fitting in with the team concept, providing good value to the organization by taking less than he could get on the open market.

The coaching staff doesnt count towards the Cap.

So the two most heavily punished coaches are the highest paid. Coincidence? I think not!

He needs the extra money to fund the the bounty pool, so that makes sense.

I keed, I keed :D

Don't really care if coach B is the highest paid or not ... i just want him to coach the Pats at least 5 more years after TB retires so he can prove all idiots wrong.

Don't really care if coach B is the highest paid or not ... i just want him to coach the Pats at least 5 more years after TB retires so he can prove all idiots wrong.

He already proved it by going 11-5 the year Brady was injured.

of course, everyone always likes to overlook or forget BUT...

Wrecks Cryan is the highest "pays to be a coach" in the NFL devoting nearly 90% of the revenue from his "Touch 'Em-Taste 'Em" fetish site to keep his job as head coach of the NYJ.

At this price, BB is a BARGAIN. GMs or football overseers like Holmgren routinely get $6 to 7 million in that role. Then a head football coach of the garden variety kind makes $4 to 6 million. BB should be paid at least $10 million/yr.

Robert Kraft are you listening. Time to tear up BB's contract and give him a new one. If BB leaves/retires, Brady might well retire rather than play out his extension.

Please do it now.

This is very old news, but the Saints clearly value Sean Payton a lot as their coach and they're rewarding him for it. Good for them. How does this affect the Pats?

At this price, BB is a BARGAIN. GMs or football overseers like Holmgren routinely get $6 to 7 million in that role. Then a head football coach of the garden variety kind makes $4 to 6 million. BB should be paid at least $10 million/yr.

Robert Kraft are you listening. Time to tear up BB's contract and give him a new one. If BB leaves/retires, Brady might well retire rather than play out his extension.

Please do it now.

Do you have sources for this? And why insist on BB getting a raise? The coaches' market is strictly tied to contracts, could you envision a coach "holding out" from his owner? It's a different market.

Interesting to note that the two highest paid coaches are also the two who have been fined and or suspended for rules violations and cheating.

Payton's a good coach for sure but, I've always thought he was a bit overrated. I wonder how much better they would have been last year with him.

Payton's a good coach for sure but, I've always thought he was a bit overrated. I wonder how much better they would have been last year with him.

I believe last season solidified how important he is to that operation. I'm convinced they make the playoffs if he coached.

I believe last season solidified how important he is to that operation. I'm convinced they make the playoffs if he coached.

They'd def be better that's for sure but, hasn't Payton always coached a terrible defense?

They'd def be better that's for sure but, hasn't Payton always coached a terrible defense?
I don't. The Saints D caught fire during their 2009/2010 Superbowl season. For mine, that looked like an outlier performance amongst many seasons of defensive mediocrity.

I believe the Saints will improve (especially on O) with Payton's return. I doubt they'll overtake Atlanta and with their D, Tampa is going to be a royal pain in the arse in the NFC South.

I'd imagine that Belichick will pull back ahead with a pact averaging around 8--8.5 if/when he signs an extension to remain here.

Speaking of that, does anyone know any of the approximations of his current deal? I know that it's always hush, hush with Belichick and his deals, and that they are often reported after the fact, but IIRC he signed his extension at the beginning of the 2007 season.

I was under the impression that extension was for 5 yrs, and that he had one last year going into that, but I could be wrong. If that's the case then he's due at the end of this season.

Of course we can always find out that he may have already signed an extension sometime this off-season, but that's optimistically speaking. I hope it doesn't come down to having to worry about it.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back