PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

Big hitter that probably excels a bit more in zone/second level than man. Much better seeing it in front of him. Has + range covering sideline to sideline - shallow/mof. Athletic enough to put almost anywhere in a pinch but that's where I see him next level. Athleticism to carry vertical routes but better equipped to come up in run defense, reroute targets closer to the los/ carry mesh. Tone setter. Supposedly a big time workout warrior, on Bruce Fledmans freak list the past 2-3 years. Hybrid you want closer to the los but has potential to expand on that. ACL in 2019 and I feel like he's not 100% recovered or in his peak form after that.

I'm not in love with anyone in the safety class this year, don't see any first round talent and not a whole deal of second round talent.

However, I do like Wiggins (and a couple of other guys) in the mid to late rounds. I don't think there's a big drop off from the top prospects to the guys who'll be there in rounds 4 and 5. I am terrible at evaluating DB's though. And Olinemen.

Smith is an interesting, possible tweener type prospect. He's certainly not in his final form yet. He has to get stronger, develop his pass rush plan/techniques and improve run defense when its coming straight at him.

His first step is always on point, does a great job at establishing first contact, fighting for and gaining inside hands but its his low eyes that wins him a lot of reps. Head and eyes are usually lower than his man. Always peeking at the play. Decent job at containing and keeping his outside shoulder clean to cut off stretch stuff. He has to get stronger and play with better gap integrity. Can't hold his ground and doesn't have the core strength to fight off reaches or drive blocks. Has to get stronger where it matters. Core/legs. Length, motor and ability to shoot helps him on the back side where he's a + defender. Shows flashes with both but needs work taking on play side runs.

Not much of a rusher rn. Not enough flexibility or bend or much of it to begin with to threaten edge consistently. Good speed to power and has some potential there if he continues to improve his hands to disengage. Uses hesi moves to attack in/out, get his man off balance. He's going to need to really use his hands to create some variety imo bc of his lack of natural flexibility. Learn to work and find hands of his man. Forklift, push/pull etc .. Good first step but he's a snap jumper as opposed to having a legit first step.

Big boy at 6'6 260-ish and could probably add 10lbs. He was used all over the place, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9. Gave Radunz a hard time a few reps.

+ awareness, recognition and overall football IQ. Smart player that wins a lot of reps upstairs.

Ultimately I'm not sure where he makes it bc of his inconsistencies in the run game and lack of NFL ready pass rush tools but he does just enough right. Has great size and motor, you want to make a spot for him. You can't throw him in the fire but he definitely has some potential as a possible end you kick inside. Or if you really think it's necessary, have him put on 15 pounds, give him a year and see how he plays in a Wise type role. The weight might be necessary anyway.

I'm not in love with anyone in the safety class this year, don't see any first round talent and not a whole deal of second round talent.

However, I do like Wiggins (and a couple of other guys) in the mid to late rounds. I don't think there's a big drop off from the top prospects to the guys who'll be there in rounds 4 and 5. I am terrible at evaluating DB's though. And Olinemen.
Yes it's a weird class. Moehring is really good. Grant is too. One guy I love and might put him at S is Molden. I love his game and let's be honest. He's a slot but could easily be a hybrid imo. Maybe in the mold of Mathieu? Idk I really like him & Hufanga too.

Grant looks like he'll sneak into the late first. I'm not a huge fan of the safety class at the top end, but I think there are solid role players in the middle. LeCounte, Hamlin, Stevens, etc, all have some potential as parts of the puzzle.

Last edited:

Moore will almost certainly be in my top 5 WR but I wouldn't be surprised if he landed at WR3 or 4 if he test really well. Smith & Chase are 1 & 2 but after that it's pretty close.

I'm assuming we'll see pro day stuff but what about this Exos stuff? I haven't seen anyone run or anything. Idk this stuff has to be transparent.

Moore will almost certainly be in my top 5 WR but I wouldn't be surprised if he landed at WR3 or 4 if he test really well. Smith & Chase are 1 & 2 but after that it's pretty close.

I'm assuming we'll see pro day stuff but what about this Exos stuff? I haven't seen anyone run or anything. Idk this stuff has to be transparent.

Moore is pretty much what we need at WR. He’s tiny but his route tree is very polished already. He’s got speed and can play the X, Y, or Z. Only problem is his size. The question will be whether he can operate over the middle in the NFL. I actually have him at 4, after Chase, Smith, and Waddle.

By the way, thanks for the film on Lance. I’d be okay with him at 15 now. The All-22 always shows you more. Solid footwork, mechanics, read progression. He needs to be a bit better on his ball placement. Especially on deep-breaking routes at the sticks. But that’s something that can be polished up over time.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Do you see anyone at CB who has similar leadership and abilities to McCourty whom they could possibly move to Safety? Unless the Pats feel that Bryant or Dugger can handle the secondary calls with Bryant becoming the McCourty replacement, I'm hoping we see a safety in that mold. Someone who is a very good all around safety that is more of a centerfielder. While I love Dugger and believe he's got the potential to be another Rodney Harrison type of safety, Dugger isn't as much of a "center fielder".

@BaconGrundleCandy - Do you see anyone at CB who has similar leadership and abilities to McCourty whom they could possibly move to Safety? Unless the Pats feel that Bryant or Dugger can handle the secondary calls with Bryant becoming the McCourty replacement, I'm hoping we see a safety in that mold. Someone who is a very good all around safety that is more of a centerfielder. While I love Dugger and believe he's got the potential to be another Rodney Harrison type of safety, Dugger isn't as much of a "center fielder".
Tough one. I read this a few ways. The bolded I'm thinking of versatile S who could make a single transition? Maybe Grant, Tariq Thompson and Andre Cisco??

Than I'm looking at it from CB pov switch to S. How about Cam Bynum, Mukuamu (Position could be likely), Kary Vincent (probably will add to ptp board)

This is a good, tough question. I'll think about it

Talked about him before but reminder that Dayo could be a steal in the later rounds. Position versatility, size/length and non-stop motor. His hands are active. He does a good job at working to find his man's to disengage or forklift. Heavy swats. He's disruptive and won't cost you much.

Bill still loves those long guys that know how to use their length. He values them and there's not a lot of them so I could see him wanting another shot at a Flowers, Wise-type. One reason I think he'll make a play for Shelvin, McNeill early second round. Not many of those types around and we desperately need one.

Super quick, almost explosive first step for 320. Can anchor the middle but also disrupts on occasion.

Just tore his achilles so could be decent value if we can stash him with a late round pick. Aligned everywhere from 4-5T to 0. Wins with length, power, hand usage and motor. I could see him outside (4-5T) in an odd front early on and kicking in 0-3-4) on passing downs.

Big hitter that probably excels a bit more in zone/second level than man. Much better seeing it in front of him. Has + range covering sideline to sideline - shallow/mof. Athletic enough to put almost anywhere in a pinch but that's where I see him next level. Athleticism to carry vertical routes but better equipped to come up in run defense, reroute targets closer to the los/ carry mesh. Tone setter. Supposedly a big time workout warrior, on Bruce Fledmans freak list the past 2-3 years. Hybrid you want closer to the los but has potential to expand on that. ACL in 2019 and I feel like he's not 100% recovered or in his peak form after that.

Bill's 2nd-round pick?

Talked about him before but reminder that Dayo could be a steal in the later rounds. Position versatility, size/length and non-stop motor. His hands are active. He does a good job at working to find his man's to disengage or forklift. Heavy swats. He's disruptive and won't cost you much.

I like him as a Dee Wise improvement and as a Part 2 of a DE double-dip later during Day 3, with a more explosive Finisher during Days 1-2...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back