PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

One of my binkies. Serious home run potential if he gets the ball in space. Hands are inconsistent though, quite a few focus drops where he's looking downfield before securing the football. Most projections have him as a 4th-5th rounder but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 2nd because the league is obsessed with speed and the possibility of anyone who can run fast being the next Tyriek Hill.

Hopefully this isn't the start of a bad turn for him. Idk if Florida is telling you to hit the books you really need help.
That was my thinking as well, if Florida tells you grades are an issue...

8025c524ec3e505dd423eea1e1d04139.gif

nm

Last edited:
Wallace: fully recovered from the ACL? Thought he was destined for the first a few years ago, then he slowed down a bit. Good player, though. I'd happily add him to the mix.

Schwartz: hate his tape. Weak, poor routes, bad drops, gadget player with poor production. Would not draft.

Tryon: production isn't there, but tape reminds me a little of early Syracuse Chandler Jones.

One of my binkies. Serious home run potential if he gets the ball in space. Hands are inconsistent though, quite a few focus drops where he's looking downfield before securing the football. Most projections have him as a 4th-5th rounder but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 2nd because the league is obsessed with speed and the possibility of anyone who can run fast being the next Tyriek Hill.
If he can polish up his route running, and show a bit more effort when he's not targeted, he'd be a real nice pick. Didn't think he had that speed, looks slower on tape, but really good hands and bullies DB's.
Agreed on both.

Schwartz - I like him a lot and think I might have a 3rd on him.

Regarding the other tweet in undecided how much stock to put in these test. I'm always sticking with my gut on play/timed speed but we've seen some crazy numbers so far from Exos.

His ability to press the line with patience while reading/setting up the 2nd level is pretty impressive. Patience with his footwork getting up to the line but his ability to work and move laterally is pretty sweet. Good job of running behind his blocks before exploding. Very solid in pass pro and rec. Perfect change of pace for Zone/Gap teams or power teams that need a little 1-2 punch in the same line of thinking. Stretching the defense out wide. Everyone runs a little of everything nowadays anyway.

Fwiw I see a little Phillip Lindsey

Last edited:
Wallace: fully recovered from the ACL? Thought he was destined for the first a few years ago, then he slowed down a bit. Good player, though. I'd happily add him to the mix.

Schwartz: hate his tape. Weak, poor routes, bad drops, gadget player with poor production. Would not draft.

Tryon: production isn't there, but tape reminds me a little of early Syracuse Chandler Jones.

I like tryon. I think he can be more effective as a 3-4 OLB.

Trade: The Pats snag their franchise QB​

One more trade, again for a quarterback. And that makes five QBs in the top nine picks. To move up six spots, we can keep the comp of the Devin Bush trade. The Patriots would have to send the Broncos at least the No. 15 pick, a second-round pick and a 2022 pick. And I wouldn't be shocked if it took the Pats' 2022 first-rounder to get the deal over the finish line. New England also is expected to add premium compensatory picks for this class, so it could have more ammo to use.

Bill Belichick is known more for trading down in drafts, but the Patriots traded up a couple of times on Day 2 last year to get guys they wanted in Josh Uche and Devin Asiasi. Don't rule out a big move if Belichick & Co. want to get their quarterback of the future.

Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

Belichick and the Patriots have been quiet this offseason, but that should change soon. They have money to spend in free agency, and they need to find a quarterback. It doesn't appear likely that Cam Newton will return. The veteran QB trade market has dwindled. I could see a Jimmy Garoppolo return to New England, but I'm not sold that he'd be the long-term answer. Lance could be. He started only 17 career games in college -- all against FCS competition -- but he's only 20, and he has all the tools to be a great dual-threat quarterback. Remember that the Patriots have a few players returning after opting out of last season, too, so they could contend in the AFC East again.

That is beyond terrible...

The way some of the "experts" evaluate players, especially QB's, is so inconsistent.

Mac Jones has too many weapons that make him look good. However that argument was never made about Joe Burrow, Tua, or Lawrence. I'm not arguing that Jones is as good as any of them, just that the evaluation criteria is so inconsistent, they get a hot take and ride it off into the sunset.

Meanwhile there are concerns about Trey Lance's lack of starts, his small sample size. But that's not a concern with Mac Jones who has fewer starts. There's also concern about the quality of opponent faced by Trey Lance, but not Zack Wilson.

Why don't these experts just look at the individual player and what he has done on tape rather than creating concerns for one player but not applying them to other players

The way some of the "experts" evaluate players, especially QB's, is so inconsistent.

Mac Jones has too many weapons that make him look good. However that argument was never made about Joe Burrow, Tua, or Lawrence. I'm not arguing that Jones is as good as any of them, just that the evaluation criteria is so inconsistent, they get a hot take and ride it off into the sunset.
I heard some stuff about Burrow's weapons but the "gamble" on him was his one year wonder season.

Tua had the injury concerns.

Love & Herbert's inconsistent play/upside

No one wants to question Lawrence
Meanwhile there are concerns about Trey Lance's lack of starts, his small sample size. But that's not a concern with Mac Jones who has fewer starts. There's also concern about the quality of opponent faced by Trey Lance, but not Zack Wilson.
I've brought both of these up.
Why don't these experts just look at the individual player and what he has done on tape rather than creating concerns for one player but not applying them to other players
A real answer to your question is I truly believe very few do any real work. Especially the guys that don't follow the draft all year round. They literally regurgitate everything that's been said the previous months. You can tell who knows their stuff and who doesn't.

Another problem is no one wants to criticize each other on Twitter or the media. They all want to *********** each other to the point where everyone is a "scout" or "expert". It's simply about presentation, being social and giving each other a retweet.

I heard some stuff about Burrow's weapons but the "gamble" on him was his one year wonder season.

Tua had the injury concerns.

Love & Herbert's inconsistent play/upside

No one wants to question Lawrence

I've brought both of these up.

A real answer to your question is I truly believe very few do any real work. Especially the guys that don't follow the draft all year round. They literally regurgitate everything that's been said the previous months. You can tell who knows their stuff and who doesn't.

Another problem is no one wants to criticize each other on Twitter or the media. They all want to *********** each other to the point where everyone is a "scout" or "expert". It's simply about presentation, being social and giving each other a retweet.

Yeah, it seems like it's self promotion by online schmoozing, a lot of the time.

I don't like Chris Simms, but I'll give him this much credit. He watches tape and forms his own opinions, rightly or wrongly, based on what he sees. He doesn't seem to feel the need to fall into line and join the echo chamber. Some might call him a contrarian, but he was more on the money than most of the mainstream experts over the past few years.

Yeah, it seems like it's self promotion by online schmoozing, a lot of the time.

I don't like Chris Simms, but I'll give him this much credit. He watches tape and forms his own opinions, rightly or wrongly, based on what he sees. He doesn't seem to feel the need to fall into line and join the echo chamber. Some might call him a contrarian, but he was more on the money than most of the mainstream experts over the past few years.
Yup, again you can tell who's actually saying something original. Most media will have consensus opinions and rankings.

Matt Waldman and Mark Scho are other good ones. I'm sure there are others but I really don't spend time on twitter or YouTube looking at that stuff. Its stats, trends etc

Yea I'll be honest I read and listen to very fee people out there. Most of it is noise to me and I'm arrogant enough to ignore it lol.

Simms QB rankings have been on point the past 2-3 years.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back