PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

I watched both videos. Shelvin is definitely has the look of a NT. The two videos raise a question. In the 1st one, he splits the double partly because the Center does a poor job of passing him off to the LG, but Shelvin DOES split it and he is able to one arm tackle the RB with apparent ease. In the second one, Shelvin swats the center aside as if he's a paper doll, gets to the RB, but isn't able to fully wrap up. The replay doesn't show if he was able to hold on to the RB or not, but he definitely busted the play so that others could clean up. The center got up looking around like he was saying "WTF just happened to me". Which shows the kind of arm strength that Shelvin has.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Was it just a good play by the RB in the 2nd video? Or is there something there to be concerned with?
Yea good play by both. Shelvin comes in a lil high and doesn't have the best angle so it's really head up on Harris. He's kinda coming in at an angle and Harris does a nice job of spinning off and getting falling forward. Something he always does. A few things actually. He doesn't take kill shots and always falls forward. I think Shelvin had a piece of him but just not enough for a direct stop.

Supposedly NE Pats have a notoriously small board - 50-125 prospects so I want to keep it as authentic as possible. Definitely need to update it though.
I wish they would public one from the past, curious to see who they got, but that's not possible
Yeah I need to look who returned to scjool as well did not follow much recently due to university stuff i had to do

I wish they would public one from the past, curious to see who they got, but that's not possible
Yea more then anything I'd love to follow Bill or some big shot through draft season. See how, where they start and how they end up. Love to see how different teams approach it.
Yeah I need to look who returned to scjool as well did not follow much recently due to university stuff i had to do

Yea more then anything I'd love to follow Bill or some big shot through draft season. See how, where they start and how they end up. Love to see how different teams approach it.
Yeah that would be interesting as well
Who did you have in mind when you talked about Player from colleges we drafted previously? Michigan paye bamas barmore Moses surtain those guys ?

Yeah that would be interesting as well
Who did you have in mind when you talked about Player from colleges we drafted previously? Michigan paye bamas barmore Moses surtain those guys ?
Yea exactly we've been at Michigan looking at Wino, Onwenu, Uche etc so it's obviously to me the pats make the best of their time at schools and like drafting teammates from the same programs when they like what they see. So I'm thinking that might play a bigger role this year considering that's the last time they saw some of these prospects.

Yea exactly we've been at Michigan looking at Wino, Onwenu, Uche etc so it's obviously to me the pats make the best of their time at schools and like drafting teammates from the same programs when they like what they see. So I'm thinking that might play a bigger role this year considering that's the last time they saw some of these prospects.
Yeah this makes Sense good point. I am thinking of bama and the saban BB connection as well as guys from bama may be more pro ready due to competition similar philosophies and scheme on defense than some other Programms i assume.

Deonte brown moving that well and be the pulling guard from left to right side sometimes with this size is impressive. You want to run behind those dudes man brown blocks holes for a plane with AL
If I'm a team that wants to run a lot of power/pulling and needs a true guard I'm all over him.

If I'm a team that wants to run a lot of power/pulling and needs a true guard I'm all over him.
Yeah, for Trey Smith he is Not brown but still good blocker to me and good power. His stock is like a rollercoaster, i see him in a lot of different rounds sometimes risin, at the beginning of the season fallin on boards, there are some nice run blocker here if you like big men

Yea good play by both. Shelvin comes in a lil high and doesn't have the best angle so it's really head up on Harris. He's kinda coming in at an angle and Harris does a nice job of spinning off and getting falling forward. Something he always does. A few things actually. He doesn't take kill shots and always falls forward. I think Shelvin had a piece of him but just not enough for a direct stop.
Shelvin looked Athletic for his size on that play was my First impression. Man that dude in the Middle of pur D Line and you have it hard to run up the middle. Compare him with Guy on the 3 tech and the 3 IOL have a hard time going to the second Level. I also like his Motor. There are plays i saw him running to the side to Chase the rb. If he is there in the third early or sth i would take him

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QUARTERBACK, WIDE RECEIVER, TIGHT END​

Cam Newton wasn’t the answer in New England, but he exposed that the problems in the team's passing game ran far deeper than an aging Tom Brady. The Patriots just have nobody bringing any kind of plus play at receiver — and they haven’t for a couple of seasons. Jakobi Meyers earned an 80.0 PFF receiving grade this season, but nobody else was within 10 grading points. And former first-round receiver N’Keal Harry was the worst of the group (61.4). The Patriots need to go back to the well in a big way to give whoever their quarterback is any kind of hope.

On his tape, Eskridge looks like he is moving at a different speed than everyone else in the Mid-American Conference. And it was more of the same against better competition here. Cornerbacks struggled to press and contain him at the line of scrimmage as Eskridge used his suddenness and well-timed swipes to release and quickly get the upper hand. He hits his top speed with his second step and also showed remarkable start-stop quickness mid-route, leaving defenders out of position and off-balance.

Aside from his athletic gifts, Eskridge caught everything thrown his way with quick, strong hands to snatch away from his frame. He debuted at No. 76 overall on my top-100 draft board and with his separation skills and pass-catching ability, I don’t have any regrets about ranking him that high. It is going to be a tough week of practice for the cornerbacks on the National squad as they try and stick with Eskridge one-on-one.

During the American practice, it was a trio of SEC receivers who stood out, led by South Carolina’s Shi Smith.

The South Carolina native made the catch of the practice with a leaping, full-extension grab above his head — something he made look routine while in college. But it was more than acrobatics for Smith, who ran aggressive routes and used a sharp burst off his plant foot to create separation from defensive backs.

Smith is the type of competitor who is full-speed at all times, which can occasionally disrupt his focus. But that wasn’t the case today as he showed very quick hands to stab the football cleanly and put it away. It got to the point during team drills that the quarterbacks weren’t looking toward the other receivers because they knew there was a better chance of a completion when targeting Smith.

Two other SEC receivers played really well Tuesday: Florida’s Kadarius Toney and Tennessee’s Josh Palmer. Toney is my top-ranked prospect in Mobile, so it was no surprise that cornerbacks had a tough time with his athleticism and tracking skills. Palmer looked like a player on a mission with the way he practiced today. He created separation vertically and did a great job fearlessly working the middle of the field and securing the ball through contact. Out of the shadow of shaky quarterback play in Knoxville, Palmer is a strong candidate to be a better pro than college player.

Big time talker but works his butt off on and off the field.

Without looking at the logo on the helmet, it can be pretty easy to spot the non-FBS prospects at the Senior Bowl because they aren’t used to this level of competition. But Wisconsin-Whitewater OG/C Quinn Meinerz looked like he belonged on day one. Frequently going up against Washington DT Levi Onwuzurike (the top defensive lineman in Mobile), the Division III product held his own with a well-timed punch and outstanding leverage, playing lower than the rent on a burning building. I wasn’t blown away by his 2019 tape, but Meinerz looked more powerful and effective at practice as he learns how to use his body.

The “other” Western Michigan prospect at the Senior Bowl had a much more understated first practice than Eskridge, but impressive all the same. Lining up at both left tackle and left guard, OT/G Jaylon Moore showed outstanding width and balance in his pass sets to handle both speed and power rushers. He has a strong anchor at the point of attack and showed the ability to quickly reset when rushers reached his chest. Moore is a player who continues to build momentum throughout the process.

The rust factor was obvious for several players who didn’t see a snap in 2020 — and it will be important to track their progress (or lack thereof) throughout the week. Northern Iowa OT Spencer Brown played tall and had a tough time adjusting to the speed off the edge. Wake Forest WR Sage Surratt had a tough time separating from coverage, which is also what his film shows. But he did a great job showing his focus and finish with leaping grabs over defenders, winning the tight windows. Michigan WR Nico Collins had trouble detaching from coverage off the line but was able to gain separation over the top once he could stretch out his stride.

Missouri RB Larry Rountree isn’t a dynamic back, but his vision, footwork and toughness suggest he has a pro future. The key to his NFL role is his third-down value, and he did a nice job today showing soft hands and natural body control as a receiver. Rountree projects as a low ceiling, high floor player at the next level, and two more days of practice like today will only help his draft grade.

It was a mixed bag from the quarterbacks on day one. I don’t think any of the six particularly stood out, good or bad, which is expected as the passers develop their timing and feel with new teammate and coaches. Over the next two practices, all eyes will be on Alabama QB Mac Jones to see how he performs. And I am interested to see if one of the other five clearly separates himself as the second-best quarterback at this year’s Senior Bowl.

FB in GL situations

Last edited:
Bill still loves those long guys that know how to use their length. He values them and there's not a lot of them so I could see him wanting another shot at a Flowers, Wise-type. One reason I think he'll make a play for Shelvin, McNeill early second round. Not many of those types around and we desperately need one.

Super quick, almost explosive first step for 320. Can anchor the middle but also disrupts on occasion.

Just tore his achilles so could be decent value if we can stash him with a late round pick. Aligned everywhere from 4-5T to 0. Wins with length, power, hand usage and motor. I could see him outside (4-5T) in an odd front early on and kicking in 0-3-4) on passing downs.

Last edited:
Aaron Robinson has a rep for being tough, feisty and it's on display here on the los with both reps. Really nice rep from both but good work on the line. Toney was + here too. Really nice effort by both.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back