PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

You can't just draft defense for the sake of it. I've heard people say "draft a DT or defense" in the first. The value had to be there. If it is great but this year's defensive class is a lot deeper than top heavy.

We’re already seeing in college how great offense beats great defense. I think that trend is slowly creeping into the nfl.

build a great offense with an average defense and that’s good enough to win rings.

We’re already seeing in college how great offense beats great defense. I think that trend is slowly creeping into the nfl.

build a great offense with an average defense and that’s good enough to win rings.
thats the endgoal of Goodell and the NYFL, have regular game scores of 54:57 or 64:38, offensive spectacel where the defenders are by rule not allowed to come 2 yards close to the pass catcher, else it is a DPI and the ball is placed on the 1 yard line with the defense not allowed to send out goal-line defense to defende the run

what a disgrace it is with those ****ing rule changes favoring offense only

He really isn't anywhere near the risk you make him out to be. No more than Smith or Chase.

Bama had the greatest group of WRs of all-time. Not to mention a killer rushing attack. Context.

I've heard you say this a few times and its simply not true. He's runs a lot more than two routes. Please leave that nonsense out this thread with respect. Opinions are great but I don't want misinformation in the thread. Saying any WR only runs two routes is just admitting you haven't watched him.

Also you can't be serious about "move the chains" and "12 catches a game" , right? You need different types. Versatile guy's are great but there's more than a enough room for Waddle in the league. You want chain movers sure but also guys like him.

Patrice Bergeron is phenomenal but there's nothing wrong with guys that are only great at a few things. Besides instead of 12 catches Waddle can get 12 touches or catches. Again he can run a lot more than two routes.

I heard this about so many players. Guy's we drafted and traded for like Moss. Bill isn't nailed down to anything. We have our types but things are always changing.

You can't just draft defense for the sake of it. I've heard people say "draft a DT or defense" in the first. The value had to be there. If it is great but this year's defensive class is a lot deeper than top heavy.

Chase and Devonta have actually had 1000 yard seasons. Waddle couldn't beat out the receivers on his own team while Devonta has. Waddle a highlight reel WR where him catching a 5 yard pass and taking it to the house won't translate to the NFL.

Yea it's definitely here. Defense is funny in the league, it doesn't really translate year to year the way offense does in today's game. So yea you really only need to be efficient when it comes to points, TO & 3rd down. It really is all about the offense in today's game.

That's why if I'm KC, Sea, Buff, Balt etc ... I'm going all in on my QB. I'd make a conscious effort to get them an OL/Target every year with one of my first two picks. Preferably after the first, cheap 8-900K contracts. Make it as easy as possible.

I'm a zombie, working 7 days, 8-10 hours. Anything I'm missing please lmk. Guys on the list that are going back to school. Prospects you think should be on there (Perkins?) Appreciate any real feedback.

With everything going on I wouldn't be surprised at all if we went back to schools we were recently at. Fresh eyes or most recent eyes might be more appropriate?

Height/Weight/Speed/X - really fluid movements. Sees the ball into his hands. + awareness & toughness.

Yes please

Cary Angeline 6'7/250 originally went to USC before NC ST. Had a basketball offer from Davidson in HS. Easy mover, looks like a 4.6 guy. Decent balance weaving and moving through traffic. YAC potential if he adds a few lbs and really grows into himself. Still looks like a basketball player. Decent reliable hands. Good body control in contested situations. Decent tracker. Hes still an athlete and needs to keep establishing himself in all areas. Physically, mentally but looks like a decent project if you're looking for one mid-late rounds. Good all-around blocker could be more nasty overall.

Eubanks has worked hard to improve his blocking. Good hands, plucks the ball away from his body if he can. Strong hands. Strong dude and probably could add a little more muscle. Nice catch radius and body control. Can move him around. Another mid late round prospect.

@BaconGrundleCandy what do you think of Brady Christensen and Tommy Togiai? Do you think those guys are on our board ?

Teaching tape for taking on a double. Splits it on a knee and focuses on one man. Some do one or the other, Shelvin isn't messing around.

I would break in half if I tried playing football.

@BaconGrundleCandy what do you think of Brady Christensen and Tommy Togiai? Do you think those guys are on our board ?
BC was very close to going on the board but didn't want to put too many names. Him and Spencer Brown were close for OL though. Same for Togiai to a lesser extent.

You check out either?

*edit* that's most likely the reason for most not being up there. Really want to keep it as small as possible but have np changing some names around.

With everything going on I wouldn't be surprised at all if we went back to schools we were recently at. Fresh eyes or most recent eyes might be more appropriate?

Height/Weight/Speed/X - really fluid movements. Sees the ball into his hands. + awareness & toughness.

Yes please

IMO, Collins outperformed DPJ during their time at Michigan.

DPJ has more natural athletic talent, but never really showed me much competitiveness, leadership, or 'want-to' when he was there (obviously a phenomenally talented player and glad it clicked in Cleveland).

Less a knock on DPJ than it is a credit to Collins, who I think could be a darn good player in the NFL.

Teaching tape for taking on a double. Splits it on a knee and focuses on one man. Some do one or the other, Shelvin isn't messing around.

I would break in half if I tried playing football.

I watched both videos. Shelvin is definitely has the look of a NT. The two videos raise a question. In the 1st one, he splits the double partly because the Center does a poor job of passing him off to the LG, but Shelvin DOES split it and he is able to one arm tackle the RB with apparent ease. In the second one, Shelvin swats the center aside as if he's a paper doll, gets to the RB, but isn't able to fully wrap up. The replay doesn't show if he was able to hold on to the RB or not, but he definitely busted the play so that others could clean up. The center got up looking around like he was saying "WTF just happened to me". Which shows the kind of arm strength that Shelvin has.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Was it just a good play by the RB in the 2nd video? Or is there something there to be concerned with?

BC was very close to going on the board but didn't want to put too many names. Him and Spencer Brown were close for OL though. Same for Togiai to a lesser extent.

You check out either?

*edit* that's most likely the reason for most not being up there. Really want to keep it as small as possible but have np changing some names around.
Yes Sir I can understand that. I will look if I can find further tape on them.
Yeah with too many names on it, it can become a big board

Wow, this guy looks special. As complete of an edge defender as I've seen in awhile, with unique physicality/athleticism and a pass rush to boot. Giving me strong Vrabel/McGinest vibes. I'd be all over him if I was Belichick.
He has a lot of potential but really needs to put it all together. Maybe an NFL camp will give him the kick he needs? Love the size & power. What's impressive to me is the 3rd clip. Rushing from 3T, stab/chop buts its the hip flip/euro step that caught my eye. Good stuff from a 270 guy. And you're right we need that elephant bulldozing through people again.

Yes Sir I can understand that. I will look if I can find further tape on them.
Yeah with too many names on it, it can become a big board
Supposedly NE Pats have a notoriously small board - 50-125 prospects so I want to keep it as authentic as possible. Definitely need to update it though.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back