PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best and Worst trades of the BB era

Other good trades not mentioned already
- Demps + 7th rounder to Bucs for LeGarrette Blount
- Moving up to draft Chandler Jones
- Moving up to draft Donta Hightower
- Trading a 2003 first rounder to the Ravens for a second rounder and a first rounder the following year which they used to draft Wilfork

that's the point that gets often made here, and is swept under the rug pretty quickly

if you compare bill the GMs record long term vs virtually every other GM in the league, he compares more than favorably.......we love to knit pick, and focus on moves that didn't pan out, but his record puts him at the top of the GM heap, despite what we often read here

#1: A
Other good trades not mentioned already
- Demps + 7th rounder to Bucs for LeGarrette Blount
- Moving up to draft Chandler Jones
- Moving up to draft Donta Hightower
- Trading a 2003 first rounder to the Ravens for a second rounder and a first rounder the following year which they used to draft Wilfork

Anyone remember Tim Wright? Traded along with 4th rd pick for Mankins. Big rookie season in Tampa. What a strange player. 6 TDs as a monster red zone threat, disappeared, cut after season, no notable reported injury or anything.

#1: A

Anyone remember Tim Wright? Traded along with 4th rd pick for Mankins. Big rookie season in Tampa. What a strange player. 6 TDs as a monster red zone threat, disappeared, cut after season, no notable reported injury or anything.

eventually tore his ACL in '16, and was out of the league in '18

looks like he played 9G post patriots, 9 REC, 2TDs with detroit in '15 before getting hurt in OTAs in '16

Bill tried to satisfy his franchise QB who was pouting on the sideline and in postgames of wins.

And btw, I said the Sanu trade was horrible in real-time. I said Brady was wrong for demanding him, I said BB was wrong for agreeing to it.

At that time I was screaming for Brady to trust a rookie named Jakobi Meyers. You negative nancy’s were telling me he sucked even though midseason he had caught 70 something percent of his targets. Years later the same negative types are complaining about Juju and suggesting Meyers is the next coming of Larry Fitzgerald.

If it were raining money, you would be complaining quarters were hitting you on the head… and it would be BB’s fault.
I keep seeing you homers say this. Where did any single person say that Jakobi was/is/or is going to be some superstar? This is where I need you to keep up. People liked Jakobi and liked what he did here but we knew what he is. A solid receiver who can get you around 800-900 yards and still might have a slightly higher ceiling if he stays healthy. No one is claiming he's Jerry Rice or Larry Fitzgerald and you homers love to launch yourselves into hyperbole to try and make your case.

On AB.. hard to give him to much flack on that as the **** AB was doing off the field as we all well know now was his exit out Foxborough.. what AB gave us in 1 game was phenomenal.. I was wowed! only if..... sad to see we ended up with sanu by seasons end.

looks like he played 9G post patriots, 9 REC, 2TDs with detroit in '15 before getting hurt in OTAs in '16
Yes.. he wasn't bad for us.. we had him in '14? He was a serviceable TE.

Not the best trade in terms of on-field impact, but certainly the most lopsided trade I have ever seen from a value perspective: N'Keal Harry for a 2024 7th rounder. Absolute heist by the Patriots.

…says the guy who every year now disappears in November to hide under his mom’s bed until the offseason.
Never disappeared, never hid… not once since Al Gore invented the internet in the early 90’s. Stop lying.

Bill the GM has a very long history of taking way less than full value in order to help out coaching cronies or coaching cronies kids. It's downright criminal, and if the Patriots were a publicly traded entity, Bill the GM would face shareholder action. Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel for a second rounder? Jimmy Garrapolo for a second rounder? Chandler Jones for a second rounder and a guy who never played for the Pats?
Dumb follows you around like cancer, one note. It never ceases to amaze me just how gullible some people are.

So let's look at the three you mentioned.

1. So we got a second for Cassell and Vrabel. That's a SECOND (top 45 pick IIRC) for a QB you no longer needed and could no longer afford. Plus getting another year in the league for Vrabel instead of just releasing him. Oh yeah, and that's a second for a guy who hadn't started as the QB on ANY team since HS prior to Brady's injury Just who was this bad for?

2. Jimmy, for what was the 33rd pick in the draft when they traded for him and wound up to be the 44th after he led them to a small winning streak. That's for a QB with 5 QUARTERS of serious game experience, when EVERY knows that you either have to trade him or let him walk as a FA. I guess you must have missed the Capitalism 101 class. Again this was bad for who?

3. Hey, they got a 2nd for a guy who was found naked and afraid outside a police station. Great one dimensional pass rusher no doubt, but when the trade was made a 2nd round pick and the former SEVENTH pick in the entire draft from the 2013 draft. It was unfortunate that Cooper had one of most injury ridden starcrossed careers one can imagine. Every time he got named to a starting role, he got hurt. Right up to 2017 when he started 13 games for the Cowboys and had a good year. Then it was back on the injury rodeo until 2019 and retirement.

Bottom line they got a good prospect and a 2nd round pick for another guy they no longer wanted and couldn't afford. It is too bad that Cooper never (except that one 13 game stretch) was never healthy, but that only makes it less good in hindsight, when ALL trades and draft picks are easy to analyze. AT THE TIME, it was universally considered more than fair. Also if you could keep only one, do you really want everyone here to believe you'd have taken Jones over Hightower?

BTW- it should also be noted that Chandler Jones played on ONE winning team in all the years he DIDN'T play on the Patriots. It doesn't mean a lot, but I've been informed that if you don't participate on winning teams, then you suck, unless of course it fits your personal narrative to use random stats anyway you choose. :rolleyes:

That 2019 draft was an all time bad draft. The 2017-2019 drafting just completely depleted the roster and arguably cost us at least one chance at another ring.

Yea that string of drafts is really what took the wheels off of the 2nd dynasty run

good news is that Wolf/Groh have been doing a really good job these last few years, we've been getting some great foundational pieces every year thru the draft since 2020/21

Jury still out on Thornton, that would be a disappointing miss but overall the last few drafts have been good

It’s literally your chance to come here crying… N’Keal wasn’t a trade, stick to topic.

But September on Patriot’s forums are usually negative nancy paradise.
because Septembers are been chock full of Wins lately?

Reminds me of Kenbrell Thompkins, Brian Tyms, random WR's who'd flash in big moments. Kenbrell's catch against NO is one of my favorite Patriots moments.

Also, to answer the thread question: Sanu. God that sucked.

Dumb follows you around like cancer, one note. It never ceases to amaze me just how gullible some people are.

1. So we got a second for Cassell and Vrabel. That's a SECOND (top 45 pick IIRC) for a QB you no longer needed and could no longer afford. Plus getting another year in the league for Vrabel instead of just releasing him. Oh yeah, and that's a second for a guy who hadn't started as the QB on ANY team since HS prior to Brady's injury Just who was this bad for?

2. Jimmy, for what was the 33rd pick in the draft when they traded for him and wound up to be the 44th after he led them to a small winning streak. That's for a QB with 5 QUARTERS of serious game experience, when EVERY knows that you either have to trade him or let him walk as a FA. I guess you must have missed the Capitalism 101 class. Again this was bad for who?

3. Hey, they got a 2nd for a guy who was found naked and afraid outside a police station. Great one dimensional pass rusher no doubt, but when the trade was made a 2nd round pick and the former SEVENTH pick in the entire draft from the 2013 draft. It was unfortunate that Cooper had one of most injury ridden starcrossed careers one can imagine. Every time he got named to a starting role, he got hurt. Right up to 2017 when he started 13 games for the Cowboys and had a good year. Then it was back on the injury rodeo until 2019 and retirement.

Bottom line they got a good prospect and a 2nd round pick for another guy they no longer wanted and couldn't afford. It is too bad that Cooper never (except that one 13 game stretch) was never healthy, but that only makes it less good in hindsight, when ALL trades and draft picks are easy to analyze. AT THE TIME, it was universally considered more than fair. Also if you could keep only one, do you really want everyone here to believe you'd have taken Jones over Hightower?

BTW- it should also be noted that Chandler Jones played on ONE winning team in all the years he DIDN'T play on the Patriots. It doesn't mean a lot, but I've been informed that if you don't participate on winning teams, then you suck, unless of course it fits your personal narrative to use random stats anyway you choose. :rolleyes:
great to hear from the Bill Belichick Defense League - enjoying 25-28 as much as the rest of us?

because Septembers are been chock full of Wins lately?
Whining in September was constant, even in the midst of the last dynasty.

There were numerous reports Bill could have gotten more for Garoppolo than he did. He definitely could have gotten more had he not waited until Halloween of that season and traded him in that prior offseason.
You cannot quantify the value of keeping him until the very last minute as injury insurance for a SB team with an elderly QB.

great to hear from the Bill Belichick Defense League - enjoying 25-28 as much as the rest of us?
When one person is in the side is the coach who has won the most SBs in the history of the game and the other is not, it’s pretty easy to see who is right.

He also traded Seymour which got us a #1 and we took Mayo with that pick.
Glad we got Mayo but not sure trading Seymour was a great idea in hindsight...
No, they took Solder with that pick. Like Deion Branch, trading Seymour for a 1st rounder was a good value. However, they had to wait 2 years to use that pick which wasn't good. Seymour certainly could've been useful in 2009 and 2010 playoff loses.

The Mayo pick was from the 2007 draft which the Pats traded their 1st round pick to SF who took Joe Staley for their 2008 draft pick.

Last edited:
Good things happen, credit Bill. Bad things happen, blame the OC, DC, QB, owner....
Everything that happens is credited to belichick because he has been 100% in charge for 24 years.
Where things go off the rails is when people actually think that adds up to a negative opinion of him.

first, We? Are you on the team? Second - two first round picks and a third for Jay Cutler. I rest my case. So you meant to tell me if Jay Cutler is worth a king's ransom, Jimmy G and or Cassel can't at least garner a first rounder? Maybe if Bill the GM wasn't trying help out Shanahan's kid or his former personnel guy Pioli in KC he could have squeezed more out of those two players

He also traded Seymour which got us a #1 and we took Mayo with that pick.
Couldn’t afford him. He went on the play 4 more years and 52 games with raiders, winning 23 of them

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back