PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's end of season speech / excuses to team

Status
Not open for further replies.
The notion that 2008 was a “loaded” roster is false, no matter how many times people try to use that against BB. I don’t have time to post (again) all of the ways that 2008 roster was NOT the same as 2007 but to summarize: It was a combination of a few aging vets whose play began to rapidly decline, injuries to key players and free agency losses. Here is a start....Sammy Morris was their lead RB, Watson was TE1 with 22 catches and 209 yds (David Thomas was TE2) and their top 4 CBs were Hobbs (CB1), Deltha F-ing O’Neil and two rookies (Wheatley and Wilhite). “Loaded”.

Those those say that 11-5 without Brady was no big deal because they still, otherwise, had the same roster as their 18-1 year need to do their research on the 2008 season. It was a brilliant job of coaching by Belichick.
Maybe not as good as 07 but in terms of talent unlike the 2020 team the 08 roster it had more than enough talent to win with.

If he hadn't gotten hurt vs DAL in 07 Sammy Morris would have been a 1000yd RB.

Faulk was still Faulk

They had two All-Pro WRs w 1k yds even in a run -first offense

They still had All-Pros on the D-Line

O-line was still outstanding.

Still had a top 10 O and D in points allowed.

..and yes BB did an amazing job that year.

The bulk of the criticism boils down to this

he is isnt media friendly. He is not sitting in 1-1 conv with peter king or boomer esiason and telling how much he loves brady and how wishes he had some things etc etc. He isnt opening up his entire philosophy to everyone.
Andy reid did a car ride with peter king for week or so to show how he works. These things give you a +ve rep in the media.

This is a good point. If BB gave his thought process on why he let the GOAT walk and what his rationale was, and how it’s good for the team long term, we would be less disgruntled. Instead we say “It was BB’s ego” and there’s nothing to refute that, so the resentment grows with each Brady win.

No worries. Yeah, the season was frustrating, but as I told someone shortly after it ended: our QB was a train wreck, the WR and TE positions were severely lacking, free agent departures caused our defense to take a step back and we were hit harder than any other team by opt outs. We still went 7-9 and won one of those games 45-0. We're spoiled.

Russel Wilson signed the most expensive QB contract and took a huge cap hit, yet somehow they keep having winning seasons without excuses

You know that's a lie. Do you belong to the liars club with your leader unseated and in Florida?
It’s not a lie. BB had no intention of bringing Brady back and he forced the issue.

BB did not call him all offseason?? BB celebrated?? Unappreciated?? Where did you hear this sports talk radio???

Y'all forget that in the 2020 season he had issues with his elbow, so much so that he could only take limited snaps during practice. Anyone who did not notice a fall off in his passing in 2020 had to be watching through some very rosey glasses, many passes were off target.

Crap contract?? It was obvious that #12 wanted to move on, the first hint was both he and Guerrero put their houses on the market prior to last years season. Then there were not OTA's... there was every indication that he was planning on leaving. We also do not know what was offered behind closed doors and probably never will.

Concerning Guerrero you cannot have a Pats Training staff + individual trainers in that facility, it made no sense.. what worked for Brady with Guererro's help may not have worked for other players. A player is free to see their trainer on their own time, in #12's case all he had to do was walk across the parking lot.
BB did not call him all offseason. This is a fact. Not gossip.

So you’re saying Brady was off in his 4500 yds, 40 TD and 12 int season ending in a Superbowl appearance. Ok man.

Brady wanted a multi year contract after 2018 SB win. BB didn’t give to him. Brady negotiated no-franchise tag, and put his house on sale. BB messed up,

Guerrero is allowed in Bucs faciliies. Why couldn’t Pats crrew work it outz

BB did not call him all offseason. This is a fact. Not gossip.

So you’re saying Brady was off in his 4500 yds, 40 TD and 12 int season ending in a Superbowl appearance. Ok man.

Brady wanted a multi year contract after 2018 SB win. BB didn’t give to him. Brady negotiated no-franchise tag, and put his house on sale. BB messed up,

Guerrero is allowed in Bucs faciliies. Why couldn’t Pats crrew work it outz
Brady wanted multi years and due to Bradys age Bill wanted to go year to year. So Brady planned his exit after last season by negotiating the no franchise tag. Brady left. There’s a difference between wanting a player at his age to go year to year and not wanting that player. Ultimately Bill should’ve offered Tom the multi year deal since he’s still playing at a very high level but I can see Bills thinking. No one in the history of this game has done what Brady has at his age.

Russel Wilson signed the most expensive QB contract and took a huge cap hit, yet somehow they keep having winning seasons without excuses

I'm really confused on what your point is or what that had to do with my post. I pointed out our team sucked last season and we still went 7-9. After 20 years of dominance, our "awful" season was 7 wins for crying out loud. What fan base should we be getting sympathy from right now?

As for Russell Wilson, if he was our QB, I'm 100% certain we would have had a winning record last season. The same goes for Tom Brady. But if you're this pissed about our first losing season since 2000, show me where the money would have come from to bring back Brady and the players it would take for him to want to stick around, without us going into absolute cap hell. And considering he's now talking about playing past 45, what happens when we can't afford to give him a strong supporting cast because of our cap hell?

Maybe not as good as 07 but in terms of talent unlike the 2020 team the 08 roster it had more than enough talent to win with.

If he hadn't gotten hurt vs DAL in 07 Sammy Morris would have been a 1000yd RB.

Faulk was still Faulk

They had two All-Pro WRs w 1k yds even in a run -first offense

They still had All-Pros on the D-Line

O-line was still outstanding.

Still had a top 10 O and D in points allowed.

..and yes BB did an amazing job that year.
Yeah besides the injuries to Brady & LaMa early in the season, the biggest personnel loss on the 2008 team was felt in the defensive backfield with the FA depahtures of Samuel, Gay & Geno Wilson...But other than that there was enough continuity elsewhere to keep them in contention, especially if during the Indy game Cassel hits Gaffney & David Thomas doesn't make a late block...

Last edited:
Is it safe to come out of the bunker yet? All these anti Belichick points have really made this forum drop in quality. Its ok to think he has flaws but this is getting crazy..

I'm really confused on what your point is or what that had to do with my post. I pointed out our team sucked last season and we still went 7-9. After 20 years of dominance, our "awful" season was 7 wins for crying out loud. What fan base should we be getting sympathy from right now?

As for Russell Wilson, if he was our QB, I'm 100% certain we would have had a winning record last season. The same goes for Tom Brady. But if you're this pissed about our first losing season since 2000, show me where the money would have come from to bring back Brady and the players it would take for him to want to stick around, without us going into absolute cap hell. And considering he's now talking about playing past 45, what happens when we can't afford to give him a strong supporting cast because of our cap hell?
I am pointing out that BB is saying we mortgaged our future for the previous Championships. Which is all nonsense. Tom had only $13m in dead cap hit this year. It was totally manageable. My point about Rusell was that Seahawks paid the right man and keep having winning seasons. Not try to nickle and dime the best player in the game, and then give excuses about the underperformance.

We messed up. And it was avoidable. All evidence points that way. And THAT is what I am upset. Poor decisions from our front office.

Brady wanted multi years and due to Bradys age Bill wanted to go year to year. So Brady planned his exit after last season by negotiating the no franchise tag. Brady left. There’s a difference between wanting a player at his age to go year to year and not wanting that player. Ultimately Bill should’ve offered Tom the multi year deal since he’s still playing at a very high level but I can see Bills thinking. No one in the history of this game has done what Brady has at his age.

You can see BB's thinking......... but BB was wrong.

BB might have good reasons............. BUT HE WAS WRONG.

It's ok to accept that BB was wrong.

When the buck stops with you, you take the blame, even if you had good reasons for your decision.

I expected exactly that from you. A tripe flippant response.
99% of what you say is garbage.

My response is what you deserve.

Go back and look at cap space Wilson chews up and ask why SEA hasn't made it past the divisional since 2014.

Last edited:
Regardless. You either believe that BB is a top coach in the league or you don't. The more time he has coaching his players the better the team will be.

Covid definitely stole time from BB. And if you want to believe in the Covid fog stuff it hurt the team even more.

I believe he is the greatest coach in the history of the league, but I think there are a few coaches in the league now that are very elite competition for him.. and they have very talented teams!

Belichick is such a preparation junkie that I could see a season like this affecting his program, especially as it aligns with the GOAT QB leaving to Tampa and a fairly depleted roster for a variety of reasons

As oldschool and uber discipline driven as Belichick is, hes got a tiny bit of a soft teddy bear inside of him, and i think he's going to learn to adapt and let that teddy bear out a tiny bit more when appropriate.. until he's confident that he has a young core with a good leader in the QB position to start really pushing them to their absolute limits as professionals and as men

Wouldn't want any other coach! Really looking forwarding to seeing how he tries to navigate and manage this rebuild, because there is no doubt in my mind that Belichick is driven to succeed and he wants what is best for this franchise... As long as I truly believe that in my heart, I ride and die with the GOAT Coach!

I believe he is the greatest coach in the history of the league, but I think there are a few coaches in the league now that are very elite competition for him.. and they have very talented teams!

Belichick is such a preparation junkie that I could see a season like this affecting his program, especially as it aligns with the GOAT QB leaving to Tampa and a fairly depleted roster for a variety of reasons

As oldschool and uber discipline driven as Belichick is, hes got a tiny bit of a soft teddy bear inside of him, and i think he's going to learn to adapt and let that teddy bear out a tiny bit more when appropriate.. until he's confident that he has a young core with a good leader in the QB position to start really pushing them to their absolute limits as professionals and as men

Wouldn't want any other coach! Really looking forwarding to seeing how he tries to navigate and manage this rebuild, because there is no doubt in my mind that Belichick is driven to succeed and he wants what is best for this franchise... As long as I truly believe that in my heart, I ride and die with the GOAT Coach!

Stephen Colbert Win GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

You can see BB's thinking......... but BB was wrong.

BB might have good reasons............. BUT HE WAS WRONG.

It's ok to accept that BB was wrong.

When the buck stops with you, you take the blame, even if you had good reasons for your decision.
I just tuned into this board for the first time in months, and it's been that long because of jackasses like you.You are, without a doubt, the most ignorant, arrogant, obnoxious and moronic poster I've ever seen. And, that, you idiot, covers some long history. You aren't a Patriots fan, never have been and never will be. Phony f###...

I am pointing out that BB is saying we mortgaged our future for the previous Championships. Which is all nonsense. Tom had only $13m in dead cap hit this year. It was totally manageable. My point about Rusell was that Seahawks paid the right man and keep having winning seasons. Not try to nickle and dime the best player in the game, and then give excuses about the underperformance.

We messed up. And it was avoidable. All evidence points that way. And THAT is what I am upset. Poor decisions from our front office.

So you want me to believe that you wouldn't be on here complaining if Brady had led us to a 10-6 season and another 1st round playoff loss? This is just about winning seasons now? Because I have no doubt we would have made the playoffs with him, but I also have no doubt we still wouldn't be playing this Sunday.

99% of what you say is garbage.

My response is what you deserve.

Go back and look at cap space Wilson chews up and ask why SEA hasn't made it past the divisional since 2014.

And my response is what you deserve, as I consider your contribution to this thread garbage as well.

I saw the cap space he chews up. He deserves it. They are in the playoffs every year. They seem to be doing rather well actually. Don't see any losing seasons either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes