PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's end of season speech / excuses to team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not sure I saw this before but Guy just repeated what Belichick told the team in the final meeting. Seems like a bunch of cliched excuses. Yawn. Maybe I was expecting something loftier / better.

Belichick's speech
"You guys have to understand: This was a season that we didn’t predict. We had COVID hit. We had a lot of situations that occurred on our team. There was a lot of new people. We didn’t win games that we want to win. But that doesn’t mean that we just put our tails under our butts and just walk away. That means you strive to be better the following year."

I don't have a problem with this paraphrased snippet. He's a football coach not a Rhodes Scholar. The gist of it seems quite true. Time to turn the page and have a good off-season.

Not sure I saw this before but Guy just repeated what Belichick told the team in the final meeting. Seems like a bunch of cliched excuses. Yawn. Maybe I was expecting something loftier / better.

Belichick's speech
"You guys have to understand: This was a season that we didn’t predict. We had COVID hit. We had a lot of situations that occurred on our team. There was a lot of new people. We didn’t win games that we want to win. But that doesn’t mean that we just put our tails under our butts and just walk away. That means you strive to be better the following year."
Call it what you want. It is what it is. 2020 season is the COVID season. It benefitted the teams who did not have significant changes. These are facts. If people can't admit to these simple facts, they may harbor other agendas.

The media is really coming for Bill. Even with his mistakes I'm not sure fans should wish for him gone.

Look at all the teams replacing their coaches every year. Eagles just fired the guy who got them a superbowl

Call it what you want. It is what it is. 2020 season is the COVID season. It benefitted the teams who did not have significant changes. These are facts. If people can't admit to these simple facts, they may harbor other agendas.
I agree, teams without significant changes, like a new QB who can't practice with his WRs in a new system, are the ones who thrived in 2020. Like the Bucs...................

Belichick's speech
What do you want him to say?

Belichick's speech
You left out the part where he says what it meant to him.
Kinda important.

“I’ve never been with the organization where, win or loss, we (didn’t) come out the following year like, ‘OK, we need to be better.’”

I agree, teams without significant changes, like a new QB who can't practice with his WRs in a new system, are the ones who thrived in 2020. Like the Bucs...................
When was Brady not able to practice with his wrs? He was almost fined for violated covid protocols during the off season.

The season played out almost exactly as expected. The teams with the best quarterbacks generally made the postseason and even finished in a highly correlated pecking order.

Mahomes
Brady

Rodgers
Allen

Jackson
Brees
Mayfield
Goff

Wilson
Roethlisberger
Smith
Trubisky
Rivers
Tannehill

The Patriots were going nowhere with an overcooked turkey run-first quarterback or a failed, turnover-prone fourth round project. Especially with bottom barrel skill players that won’t help and a defense that’s very far from elite.

Hightower is a really good player; some other opt-outs are also good contributors. It’s unlikely any of them would have made a difference in the win/loss record.

The team didn’t even suffer major injuries or lose a major franchise player. People point to Cam Newton missing one game as some turning point in the season. The funny thing is, the Patriots were only able to obtain Newton for almost nothing because of Covid. They had no cap room and would have been playing Stidham otherwise, who is worse than an offseason-less Newton.

The excuses are ridiculous. The roster has been thinning for years with horrible drafts, and there’s no elite QB to elevate them. The team needs a major rebuild. If Belichick thought this was a contending roster ruined by Covid, the team is in big trouble. But I’m sure he doesn’t actually think they’re just a normal offseason away from putting it together. Probably just an out of context, sensationalized quote. Bill isn’t the type to live in fantasy worlds and shirk responsibility.

EssentialBigBluemorphobutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Was there a "bite-your-kneecaps-off" moment in Bill's speech ?

• Ha Ha
Reactions: SVN
The season played out almost exactly as expected. The teams with the best quarterbacks generally made the postseason and even finished in a highly correlated pecking order.

Mahomes
Brady

Rodgers
Allen

Jackson
Brees
Mayfield
Goff

Wilson
Roethlisberger
Smith
Trubisky
Rivers
Tannehill

The Patriots were going nowhere with an overcooked turkey run-first quarterback or a failed, turnover-prone fourth round project. Especially with bottom barrel skill players that won’t help and a defense that’s very far from elite.

Hightower is a really good player; some other opt-outs are also good contributors. It’s unlikely any of them would have made a difference in the win/loss record.

The team didn’t even suffer major injuries or lose a major franchise player. People point to Cam Newton missing one game as some turning point in the season. The funny thing is, the Patriots were only able to obtain Newton for almost nothing because of Covid. They had no cap room and would have been playing Stidham otherwise, who is worse than an offseason-less Newton.

The excuses are ridiculous. The roster has been thinning for years with horrible drafts, and there’s no elite QB to elevate them. The team needs a major rebuild. If Belichick thought this was a contending roster ruined by Covid, the team is in big trouble. But I’m sure he doesn’t actually think they’re just a normal offseason away from putting it together. Probably just an out of context, sensationalized quote. Bill isn’t the type to live in fantasy worlds and shirk responsibility.

I keep hearing that BB is one of the greatest coaches in the league. If true how many more wins does that translate to if he had a full pre-season and a season without Covid?

When was Brady not able to practice with his wrs? He was almost fined for violated covid protocols during the off season.

Sure but throwing footballs to a wr on a high school football field isn't the same as throwing during a preseason game.

Sure but throwing footballs to a wr on a high school football field isn't the same as throwing during a preseason game.
Not getting into that, the comment was he was not allowed to work with his receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back