PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick wanted Jakobi. Was convinced out of it by the new guys picking players

Blowing a 2nd round pick on Mills looks a ton better than blowing the #15 overall pick on Mac. I mentioned in the other thread, it explains why the Jets jumped us to 14 to pick Vera-Tucker thinking we’d take him. I suspect ultimately BB left to his own devises would have traded back to the 20s, picked up a 3rd, have selected Barmore with the 1st rounder and Mills with the 2nd. Who knows what he does with the extra 3rd and the pick he did trade to move up for Barmore.
It wouldn't. Mills was a total bust, even worse than Jones and Zappe. We would have needed to trade up at 15 regardless to get anybody worthwhile. The Jets jumped A LOT more teams than the Patriots to secure Vera-Tucker. Tucker isn't that good and had injury issues. And you are ignoring that to get Mills we need to get creative in the second. Either draft Mills with the Barmore pick or trade up and lose Stevenson. You aren't getting Mills without a sacrafice there.

I understand the frustration about how Bill was "pressured into taking Mac", but to me this is just us benefitting from hindsight. Taking Mac was 100% the correct pick. They needed a quarterback badly, and Mac had the traits that they needed for their offense. In 2021, obviously he looked solid with McDaniels. What ultimately happened with him and Patricia/Judge in 2022 and then regressing further in 2023 doesn't really have anything to do with whether he was a good draft selection. The 2021 draft was pretty solid.

No they wouldn't. They would have had to trade up to get anyone good at 15, that draft sucked and taking Mills meant sacraficing either Barmore or Stevenson. Which were the only players worth grabbing in that draft for us. Mills had 2 and 3 wins over his 2 seasons before he got benched. Bill was NEVER trading up. So his best case scenario was get a worse QB later on and essentially lose one solid player to maybe get another solid player.
or more likely, trade down to gain another 2 or 3rd round pick and pick Barmore around 20 or so instead of trading up again in the 2nd for him, you cannot tell how a draft would have played out, what you can tell is obviously BB didn't bought in on Mac and was led by others to pick him as he promised Kraft he will not overrule everything and keep the others involved, same with JuJu instead of Meyers, and those people chosing it are still here, BB not, good luck with that front office

Belichick is to blame for the inability to build a competent offense, as Howe puts it.

But I'd say it's not for lack of trying. 16 picks on offense since this draft in the article, 11 on defense. A bunch of FA WRs (4) signed to decent contracts. 3 TEs to decent-sized contracts. 6 picks on the interior OL.

And it wasn't a competent offense. Because of the OCs. Because of the players themselves (though Jonnu is doing just fine elsewhere). Because of the QB. Whatever.

The concern is how do we build a competent offense while throwing all these resources at building it (there have been a lot of resources expended).

This is more of a draft question, but I truly doubt LSU'd Daniels is going to succeed in the NFL, but we may have this same ("QB is the face of the franchise mentality") and we may take him with our #3 pick (which will be disastrous, IMO).
I agree on Daniels. I really wouldn't mind just taking Harrison this year or trading up if you really believe in someone else.

or more likely, trade down to gain another 2 or 3rd round pick and pick Barmore around 20 or so instead of trading up again in the 2nd for him, you cannot tell how a draft would have played out, what you can tell is obviously BB didn't bought in on Mac and was led by others to pick him as he promised Kraft he will not overrule everything and keep the others involved, same with JuJu instead of Meyers, and those people chosing it are still here, BB not, good luck with that front office
If they got another third, they'd be in a position where they'd still have to put a package together to trade up for Mills.

I understand the frustration about how Bill was "pressured into taking Mac", but to me this is just us benefitting from hindsight. Taking Mac was 100% the correct pick. They needed a quarterback badly, and Mac had the traits that they needed for their offense. In 2021, obviously he looked solid with McDaniels. What ultimately happened with him and Patricia/Judge in 2022 and then regressing further in 2023 doesn't really have anything to do with whether he was a good draft selection. The 2021 draft was pretty solid.
I agree with all of this...

Except in the situation where BB got some intel from Saban about Mac's bad makeup.

We don't need to go over it again but certain things about Mac and the way he carried himself were odd for a leader of a football team.

Last edited:
It wouldn't. Mills was a total bust, even worse than Jones and Zappe. We would have needed to trade up at 15 regardless to get anybody worthwhile. The Jets jumped A LOT more teams than the Patriots to secure Vera-Tucker. Tucker isn't that good and had injury issues. And you are ignoring that to get Mills we need to get creative in the second. Either draft Mills with the Barmore pick or trade up and lose Stevenson. You aren't getting Mills without a sacrafice there.
Mills was a total bust but Mac wasn’t much better. In 2024 looking back on it in the alternate scenario, you say there was no good QB in that draft, and thankfully we didn’t waste a 1st rounder on any of them.

Pats traded up 8 spots to get Barmore. They don’t need trade up for Mills who was taken at 65, but they do take him with the original pick. Doesn’t impact Stevenson at all. That’s why in my scenario we windup with an extra 3rd rounder for trading from 15 to mid-20s, and 2 extra 4th rounders for not needing to trade up for Barmore but selecting him in the mid-20s instead.

Far be it from be to get in the way of your take - but Davis Mills would have, hands down, been the best QB on the roster this year.

Far be it from be to get in the way of your take - but Davis Mills would have, hands down, been the best QB on the roster this year.
No he wouldn't. Mills statistically was worse than Mac and he had 2 and 3 wins in his only 2 starting seasons. His BEST case scenario would have been fighting with Zappe to be the ****ty replacement who also sucked once they gave up on Mac. You underestimate how awful Mills actually is.

The Bears will trade that 1st for a ransom. Or, they will take Williams. If they trade the 1, what do you believe it would realistically take for the Patriots to get the first? Assuming Daniels isn't what the Patriots want.

Last edited:
Bill didn’t want Mac Jones, he wanted David Mills. Don’t think it makes him look better
Except for the first round talent that he actually would have gotten.

No he wouldn't. Mills statistically was worse than Mac and he had 2 and 3 wins in his only 2 starting seasons. His BEST case scenario would have been fighting with Zappe to be the ****ty replacement who also sucked once they gave up on Mac. You underestimate how awful Mills actually is.
No, you're overestimating what I'm saying.
I didn't say Mills was good. Far from it. He sucks too.
He'd still be the best QB on this roster right now. That's just the reality of where we are.

Krafts minions were behind dumping Meyers, signing useless JuJu and picking Corky Mac.

NOT Belichick

Kraft is going to screw this team all up. Say goodbye to competing for Super Bowls and hello to mediocrity.

And...Bill was the big boss. If he wanted Jakobi, he could have had him.

That article does nothing to really make Bill look good.

Krafts minions were behind dumping Meyers, signing useless JuJu and picking Corky Mac.

NOT Belichick

Kraft is going to screw this team all up. Say goodbye to competing for Super Bowls and hello to mediocrity.
As long as Little K gets to puff his chest at League meetings and talk big ball talk at the tennis club it's all well worth it

Bill’s army of leakers are out there trying to repair his reputation.
It won’t work. As a GM without Brady he screwed up period.
No amount of anonymous sources will fix it.
Funny that you think the man with the most success ever needs to repair his reputation.

I agree on Daniels. I really wouldn't mind just taking Harrison this year or trading up if you really believe in someone else.
I am not sure on Daniels - could end up being great but also a chance he totally bombs. I am not super sold on him at #3.

In theory I don't mind the idea in either taking Harrison at #3, OR if someone else has taken him above you, then gladly taking Caleb or Drake instead. However, if you do take Harrison, QB's still a question mark. The veteran market isn't great. Maybe Penix, McCarthy or possibly Nix last until the late first and they can trade up slightly, but all of those guys would likely benefit from a year on the bench. Not sure what you do at starting QB there, but MHJ would really help the offense, especially if you can get the OL sorted.

The Bears will trade that 1st for a ransom. Or, they will take Williams. If they trade the 1, what do you believe it would realistically take for the Patriots to get the first? Assuming Daniels isn't what the Patriots want.
I’m not interested in finding out.

Possibly a small trade down, but no trade up.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back