PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick criticism mega-thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want him to show some affection warmth and personality when he's asked about Brady, not go to his robotic boilerplate answer book or get all annoyed about it. The GOAT deserves that much.

I think that will earn respect and go a long way toward cooling down any media hostility.
i dont know if he will do it and even if he does, dont think it will cool down any hostility. Media will ask "How dififficult was it for BB to say anything good about brady ? Did kraft ask him to ?" or "If he is saying all these things why did he get rid of him?". They said the exact thing when milloy was released "If he was such a great leader, why let him go?"

Criticising the team building over last 5 yrs maybe warranted. But if bill had called brady and they had worked out a contract for 2 yrs 50 m and brady stayed, would we be happy ? Because he wouldve pouted through a poor season and asked kraft to release him like he asked after the eagles SB. I dont think Bb thought brady was done. He probably thought he cant build a roster around him and his cap and needs to reset at some point. Brady outplayed BB's estimates and thats his greatness. BB ripped the bandaid. Now its on him to comeup with a plan.

And what are you basing this theory on?

But why do you assume it would be the same group? Why couldn't they structure a good 2 year deal together and get some proper weapons. He doesn't need a million of them. It's like some of you assume its THIS or NOTHING. If our GM was unable to figure all of that out it's on him. The QB was not the problem. Maybe call gronk and talk to him like a man and he may of come back. Pull the trigger on a WR. We make the playoffs with NO ONE else and we have a shot at a SB with some added pieces and injury luck. Buffalo can't beat Brady, they just can't.
I think you missed my point. the poster was saying even if Brady had resignd for 2/50, we woudl have watched him pouting on the sideline. My point was supposed to be that would only happen if BB fielded the WRs and TEs he did this year. If Bill had made a commitment to Brady and gave him a couple of weapons I don't think we would have seen that sort of reaction.

And what are you basing this theory on?
He didnt get along with BB's methods . Brought it up in 2017. Another down season wouldve just magnified again . Just a theory of course. But IMO he wouldnt have happily retired here being on a losing team.

I think you missed my point. the poster was saying even if Brady had resignd for 2/50, we woudl have watched him pouting on the sideline. My point was supposed to be that would only happen if BB fielded the WRs and TEs he did this year. If Bill had made a commitment to Brady and gave him a couple of weapons I don't think we would have seen that sort of reaction.
They missed on their FA and draft attempts in those two positions. No arugment there. They tried. Just tried badly and didnt work out . Maybe after the AB fiasco, BB finally gave up and decided to reset. But as per brady , he knew he was leaving prior to the first game ofthe last season so i dont know if the AB signing wouldve helped if it worked.

Jay Williams discuss: What would it take for the Patriots to move on from Bill Belichick?​

Jay says BB is on the hot seat and discusses what kind of underperformance would be required to boot BB.

As Williams mentions, the Kraft's will know it's time to move on from Bill if he has a hard time attracting anyone worthy in FA or the players in general stop responding to him. And as we've found out recently regarding the reason for the head scratching draft picks, Bill is rumored to pick guys he "likes" over talent.

If Bill handled the Lawyer Milloy fiasco I'm sure he can handle this too.
Milloy was not a fiasco. I remember vividly I was one of the very few who was100% behind BB from the getgo when he dumped Milloy. Milloy was by then a very mediocre player and a shadow of his former self. And we picked up a far superior player in Rodney.
Milloy was a liability and overpriced at that point. I was absolutely flabbergasted at the time that people were upset at the time. It was addition by subtraction and BB was certainly proven right. But it was a nobrainer.
Absolutely no comparison to Brady. Brady had lost very little and was stuck with the worst skill position players in the nfl.
I cant say anything negative about Brady or BB. Theyre both the goats and both have been for years. But BB ****ed up.
That's a fact.

As Williams mentions, the Kraft's will know it's time to move on from Bill if he has a hard time attracting anyone worthy in FA or the players in general stop responding to him. And as we've found out recently regarding the reason for the head scratching draft picks, Bill is rumored to pick guys he "likes" over talent.
i personally will believe this FA attraction theory when it happens. Players want money utlimately. They need to be ready to pay .

Hearing guys like D-Mac talk, I think we're a long way off from the idea that the players have stopped responding to Bill.

Bill will get the chance to rebuild the team. Only then IMO if it doesn't pan out it's the end of the line.

BB may well be the GOAT coach, but he always got WAAAAY too much credit. No coach has even gotten half the credit Bill did for his wins as far as I know. The fact that it was even a debate between how much was Brady and Bill as the prime mover of success was silly. It was always Brady. And not just 51/49. It was 80/20. A bad coach can keep a QB from reaching his potential, but if you are at least okay, you'll go very far with a great QB.

Does anyone really think Dungy was responsible for Manning? Was McCarthy responsible for Rodgers? Was Payton responsible for Brees? Does anyone really think these players needed these coaches to be successful? Players play and coaches coach. The coach's main job is to do the obvious, get everyone pulling in the same direction and know how to manage a game.

In football in the cap era it has always been QB > GM > Coach in that order. One REALLY bad link in that chain can sink you, but if you get to pick which you want in order of best to worse, the answer is QB > GM > Coach.

Last edited:
In this case, I think he should make a one time exception. He is like that off camera so it shouldn't be that hard.
Bill is like David Chase explaining the end of The Sopranos,

If you can't figure it out then that's not my problem

First Things First | Nick Wright "Bill Belichick Should Feel Like Me, Stupid and Angry" | 2-8-21​

He didnt get along with BB's methods . Brought it up in 2017. Another down season wouldve just magnified again . Just a theory of course. But IMO he wouldnt have happily retired here being on a losing team.

He wanted a long term deal for respectable money. BB wanted 1 year deals at scrub QB money. If you or I'd been Brady, neither of us would have liked that method, either,

And that "pout" year produced a 12-4 team despite the near absence of anything approaching an OL, and the complete depletion of the WRs over the course of the season. I know that a lot of people like to pretend that 12-4 didn't happen, but it did.

The reality is that even "pout" Brady was worth 5 games to NE, and happy Brady was the difference between 7 wins and the SB championship for TB.

BB may well be the GOAT coach, but he always got WAAAAY too much credit. No coach has even gotten half the credit Bill did for his wins as far as I know. The fact that it was even a debate between how much was Brady and Bill as the prime mover of success was silly. It was always Brady. And not just 51/49. It was 80/20. A bad coach can keep a QB from reaching his potential, but you if you are at least okay, you'll go very far.

Does anyone really think Dungy was responsible for Manning? Was McCarthy responsible for Rodgers? Was Payton responsible for Brees? Does anyone really think these players needed these coaches to be successful? Players play and coaches coach. The coach's main job is to do the obvious, get everyone pulling in the same direction and know how to manage a game.

In football in the cap era it has always been QB > GM > Coach in that order. One REALLY bad link in that chain can sink you, but if you get to pick which you want in order of best to worse, the answer is QB > GM > Coach.

Completely agree. Walsh never got the credit for Montana's wins the way BB did for Brady's wins.

From the same people who brought you Defamegate...it's the "**** on BB" hour.

I've had a fairly balanced view and it's still the same; BB was in cap hell, and couldn't keep Brady, win, and start the process of rebuilding from a combo of going all in on the SB years and poor drafting. Keeping Brady in 2020 still might not have made the Pats a playoff team, and if it did, it would have been a first round exit and draft purgatory.

Never mind...wasted on most of you anyway...I mean, if you're siding with Max Kellerman, you're pretty lost...

EDIT - And of course Brady is more important. He's a PLAYER. And a QB at that. BB is still the GOAT coach and mouth breathers want to run him out of town and replace him with.....who? Bill O'Brien? Jeff Fisher? Who?

BB may well be the GOAT coach, but he always got WAAAAY too much credit. No coach has even gotten half the credit Bill did for his wins as far as I know. The fact that it was even a debate between how much was Brady and Bill as the prime mover of success was silly. It was always Brady. And not just 51/49. It was 80/20. A bad coach can keep a QB from reaching his potential, but you if you are at least okay, you'll go very far.

That is the irony. People who gave no credit or less to brady are now justifying how it was all brady. Even the spygate nonsense really undermined brady's greatness. Now they all say it wasnt because of spying but it was brady :)
BB himself has said , players win games , coaches lose them. so it hasnt been like he has been peddling his own greatness.

Many of us - those who are able to put fandom aside and be objective - realize what a terrible decision Bill made to push Brady with no real plan to replace him. How do you think the Patriots players feel? If he hasn't "lost" portions of the locker room yet, that door is more open than ever. Have to think some of the vets are sick of Bill's **** just like Tom (and Gronk) were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST