PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick admits BOTH the Jets and Colts knew the Patriots calls before they ran them

Yes of course it all starts at the top. Dysfunctional Oline, starting QB whose confidence is shot and no true #1 target. He does though also deserve credit for how the defense has been playing(cept the Bears game) and how it looks like he might have found another star CB in the making in Jack Jones. It goes both ways
I mean that goes without saying. But I will give credit where it's due. BB as usual is a defensive genius.

However BB's bad decisions on the other side of the ball have really hurt this team. We're not going to win a lot of games with this dysfunctional offense and terrible coaching on the offensive side of the football. Sure we'll blow out some bad teams and our defense will take the opposing QB's lunch money at times. But when we run into real competition and need to score points to win? No way, no chance.

The Patriots were supposed to get better after a year where they made the playoffs and invested in a 1st round quarterback who looked promising. Instead they've made all the WRONG moves and are currently in last place in the AFC East. That also all starts with the man at the top, Bill Belichick.

Of course in that last game much of the play calling on the offensive side was clearly designed to avoid turnovers above all else. Those were likely Mac's marching orders too.

Of course in that last game much of the play calling on the offensive side was clearly designed to avoid turnovers above all else. Those were likely Mac's marching orders too.

Then why was Mac staring down a long (and riskier) sideline route instead of quickly identifying an open receiver a full two yards past the line to gain on a 3rd/3, and who was actually ready to catch a pass? Dude's not taking advantage of the few opportunities his 2/5ths of an OL, his blithering QB whisperer, and his amateurish play-caller/OL coach occasionally provide him.

End of the season how about after the bye week?? Mac have two weeks to get his feeble act together.

We thought that Mac would make the transition from his 2021 rookie year of throwing short and dump off passes to passing to all three levels early in Y2. That did not happen - Mac is going through a steeper learning curve passing to all three levels in Y2 than we expected. After having that incorrect expectation, you now think that Mac is going to start efficiently throwing to all 3 levels after a two week period including the Bye? Why do you think that? Mac is improving, but has struggled, so all of a sudden he is going to break out in a two week period? Maybe your expectations were and are unrealistic.

What is feeble about Mac's act? Maybe it is your expectations that are feeble? Mac is not progressing as fast as PatsFan2, and others, had hoped. Wow! Imagine that. Someone is not as good as PatsFan2 had hoped. Guess what that means? It means that person is "feeble". God help us.

Then why was Mac staring down a long (and riskier) sideline route instead of quickly identifying an open receiver a full two yards past the line to gain on a 3rd/3, and who was actually ready to catch a pass? Dude's not taking advantage of the few opportunities his 2/5ths of an OL, his blithering QB whisperer, and his amateurish play-caller/OL coach occasionally provide him.

Because the sideline route was 1 on 1, whereas the open receiver 3 yards deep could have been (possibly was not, but could have been) double covered. But you already knew that so the real question is, "Why are you asking questions you already know the answer to?" And the answer is clearly because you have an agenda you want to promote instead of being objective. Against the Colts, Mac did not throw a pick, or even a pass that could have been picked, which is a positive step forward. But you want to nitpick Mac's decisions to support your "amateurish play-caller/OL coach" agenda.

How many times did you tell us that Onwenu was a "fat f!ck" that was waste of a 6th round pick? Now you magically love Onwenu. You flip flop faster than a New Orleans whore. Now it is an amateurish play-caller/OL coach. Remember when you said Zappe was a waste of a 6th round pick? Captain, you have no shame, and it is embarrassing for others like watching "I love Lucy".

That's what happens when you decline to name/hire a real OC and put Patricia/Judge who have never done it before in charge of the offense. This is on Bill. Instead of filling the coaching staff with new minds. It's yes men he can pay peanuts because they are paid by their former teams they got fired from....for ruining those teams.

You get the "Madden" video game playbook. No creativity, calling the wrong plays. I mean how many times did Patricia call that "run up the middle" that got negative yardage?

I've been saying this for awhile. But This offense was fine last year. And Mac looked like a good prospect. We added more talent and got worse. What changed? McDaniels left and we replaced him with Patricia/judge rather than a real OC
It's because Belichick wants to live out his football dream:

To prove he can win without literally anyone - he doesn't even need an OC or DC.

Maybe Bill should keep up the good work of letting the other team know what play the Patriots are running. After all, we won both of those games.

That's what happens when you decline to name/hire a real OC and put Patricia/Judge who have never done it before in charge of the offense. This is on Bill. Instead of filling the coaching staff with new minds. It's yes men he can pay peanuts because they are paid by their former teams they got fired from....for ruining those teams.

You get the "Madden" video game playbook. No creativity, calling the wrong plays. I mean how many times did Patricia call that "run up the middle" that got negative yardage?

I've been saying this for awhile. But This offense was fine last year. And Mac looked like a good prospect. We added more talent and got worse. What changed? McDaniels left and we replaced him with Patricia/judge rather than a real OC
Yes!!! This is a clear indictment of the offense coaching (Patricia, Judge and BB). THe formations are so predictable the defense knows what is coming and or the pre snap motion or something else about the offense is a true tell.
Not what a well coached team does. The fact that BB was willing to admit to this, may be an indicator about his own frustration.
But it is all BB's doing. He could have hired an experienced offensive coordinator.....but he chose not to.

I still think bringing in someone like Frank Reich even in midseason would help...but BB is too pigheaded to take a bold step like that.

We will see. They are trying new things which has set them back, but we have to try new things because last year was not good enough. So far Mac and Zappe have been in and out, which has delayed things. Going back to the dumbed down 2021 offense is not the answer. I agree Mac looks jittery, does not move well in the pocket, and seems to be thinking too much. By the end of the season we will know more.
Maybe if the offense wasn't such a sh!t show we wouldn't have seen our QB getting pummeled earlier this season. Maybe Mac's a little jittery because he was injured. It was so bad I was hoping that his career wouldn't end.

There's something else that we may be overlooking and it has nothing to do with X's and O's. It looked like Patricia's attitude was questioned by the players when he was the HC in Detroit. And now there are rumblings by Pats players. Is that just a coincidence?

Maybe if the offense wasn't such a sh!t show we wouldn't have seen our QB getting pummeled earlier this season. Maybe Mac's a little jittery because he was injured. It was so bad I was hoping that his career wouldn't end.

There's something else that we may be overlooking and it has nothing to do with X's and O's. It looked like Patricia's attitude was questioned by the players when he was the HC in Detroit. And now there are rumblings by Pats players. Is that just a coincidence?
"rumbling by Pats players" ???????? WTF are you try to be in the running for the Ben Volin idiot of the week award for making up as you go along? Please show me ANY article that supports that contention. If there had been it would have been front and center with its own thread and everything Jeess, man, you are better than that.

Mac is going through a steeper learning curve passing to all three levels in Y2 than we expected.
I think that's spot-on. He had one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history. And now he is struggling with more on his plate, new OC, line issues, an injury, and seems like his confidence took a hit. Patience. Even Geno Smith finally figured it out (of course, we don't want to wait 7 years).

I predict a return to the 12-based playcalling. Back to their 2013 roots. Move the two tight ends around, put both on one side and threaten the run, then play action and hit someone down the seam. Bourne has disappeared, Parker is injured, Thornton is a rookie. We don't have good enough pass pro to be screwing around with shots down the field, so stress the defense sideways instead and with run-action and play-action. If that works then can expand to a more vertical game.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

I think that's spot-on. He had one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history. And now he is struggling with more on his plate, new OC, line issues, an injury, and seems like his confidence took a hit. Patience. Even Geno Smith finally figured it out (of course, we don't want to wait 7 years).

I agree. I was hopeful for Mac to make a smooth transition to the seeing all three levels, but there has been some bumps. The Bye will help but I think it is longer term than 2 weeks. Let's hope something clicks with Mac, but most likely his learning curve will extend through 2023. Look for baby steps like 1. no picks last game and no WTF pass attempts, and 2. the beautiful seam pass to Henry. Also a bit more variety in the play options would be nice, but I think that is obviously coming.

I predict a return to the 12-based playcalling. Back to their 2013 roots. Move the two tight ends around, put both on one side and threaten the run, then play action and hit someone down the seam. Bourne has disappeared, Parker is injured, Thornton is a rookie. We don't have good enough pass pro to be screwing around with shots down the field, so stress the defense sideways instead and with run-action and play-action. If that works then can expand to a more vertical game.
Sounds like a reasonable compromise given our offensive woes. Is Matt Patricia smart enough to do something like that? Doubtful. But the upcoming Jets game will show us if Matt Patricia is still just a one trick pony or if he can actually change his thinking. Even the boss BB admitted our offense is predictable and the Colts defenders knew exactly what was coming with his comments to the press.

Oh I'm fine with Patrica... kept in his role of defensive coach. He's got no business calling offensive plays for the Patriots and it shows.

Not so sure. A lot of it has to do with execution or lack thereof by the players, IMO. I mean I hated it when McD called those draw plays on 3rd and long....Matty P doesn't. But yeah, Matty P should call more play action and stop trying to go deep on early downs....but mostly it has been the OL being ****ty, IMO. If we could have some consistency on the line...this team is better offensively than it has shown to date.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back