PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick admits BOTH the Jets and Colts knew the Patriots calls before they ran them

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just heard on the radio that Belichick admitted in the press conference that CJ Mosley of the Jets and Shaq Leonard of the Colts were calling out the plays before they were snapped. That means the Pats are running a totally predictable offense. That is 100% of the OC.

People can blame Mac Jones or the o-line or any of the players, but if the opposing defense knows exactly what play you are running you are putting your players at a disadvantage.

For the record, he credited them with good "film study" and passed it off as more a credit to the two LBs and not that the offense was predictable, but offenses go up against these two LBs and a lot of other great LBs every week and these LBs are not calling out the offensive plays on every team.

Could a player be giving a tell in terms of stance? A mannerism/habit of a particular player Ds are picking up on? A tell when they break the huddle? Formational/personnel tendencies?

I didn't hear anything about the Jets game and Mosely until now, but if I remember correctly, the offensive players said Leonard was specifically identifying screens and runs (I didn't hear much about the passing game). The Patriots ran for 177 yards combined against NYJ and IND.

They need to figure out what the tell is and clean it up (or leverage it to their advantage) but I'm not convinced the D had them dead-to-rights on all (or even most) plays. The running game was still relatively productive. They hit a few successful screens. They had open guys who were missed.

Biggest issues from my perspective continue to be execution, starting with OL and QB play.

Could a player be giving a tell in terms of stance? A mannerism/habit of a particular player Ds are picking up on? A tell when they break the huddle? Formational/personnel tendencies?

I didn't hear anything about the Jets game and Mosely until now, but if I remember correctly, the offensive players said Leonard was specifically identifying screens and runs (I didn't hear much about the passing game). The Patriots ran for 177 yards combined against NYJ and IND.

They need to figure out what the tell is and clean it up (or leverage it to their advantage) but I'm not convinced the D had them dead-to-rights on all (or even most) plays. The running game was still relatively productive. They hit a few successful screens. They had open guys who were missed.

Biggest issues from my perspective continue to be execution, starting with OL and QB play.

Ferentz was the center for both games, seems like an obvious place to look.

Curious that BB who is always tight lipped talked about it. Not sure why.

Leave it to Bill to brag about beating teams even when they know the plays Pats are running.

He doesn't need to specifically spell out "We're going to look into what it is internally that's tipping them off." Crediting them with great film study is NOT the same as throwing your hands up like there's nothing you can do about it.

since mac got hurt, they started a career backup, a rookie backup, and then a starter who was still dinged and getting back into the swing of things after missing a month

it's obvious the playbook was paired down/simplified, and audibles limited......all of this make it easier to look at film and find tendencies in play call/formation keys, etc.....

bye week is a good time to change that up

I just heard on the radio that Belichick admitted in the press conference that CJ Mosley of the Jets and Shaq Leonard of the Colts were calling out the plays before they were snapped. That means the Pats are running a totally predictable offense. That is 100% of the OC.

People can blame Mac Jones or the o-line or any of the players, but if the opposing defense knows exactly what play you are running you are putting your players at a disadvantage.

BB the head coach is sabotaging BB the general manager.

Looks like Lance McCullers and Fat Matt hang out.

well....there was a graphic on NBC sports Boston last night or the night before that showed out of their last 12 plays on first down, 10 were runs.....when you run a 1980s high school offense, it tends to be predictable. Patricia needs to innovate a tad more...how bout a pass downfield on first down...not a screen, not a sideways pass, but downfield...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back