PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard does good job reading the tea leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love me some Brady. He’s accomplished things - in the biggest of games/in the most desperate of times - that are beyond belief. Clutch, confident, killer.

But he’s been whiny on several occasions. I found the latest comments about « mental energy » weird. But, let’s keep it real, Brady is weird. Luckily, he’s our weirdo and I hope he continues to be for a few seasons still. But, while I figure he’ll be around next year, this is the season I most feel like that might not happen. I for one would not be shocked if he wasn’t in NE for 2020-21. Doesn’t mean I’m predicting it. Just « wouldn’t be shocked ».

I would be. All I see is the media finding a way to turn mundane quotes into soap opera level drama.

"OMG Brady said .......blah blah blah .....which if you think about it......blah blah blah........ he is throwing ( BB, Kraft, WRs ) under the bus."

Basically another over reaction to a game played in September. We've seen this crap over and over again year after year.

Oh wow. They're 4-0. Oh that's right. They've played junk teams. Haha

There is no question that the Pats offense has been difficult for new WR's to pick up. Also true that the Pats have not invested a lot of draft capital in the position over Brady's career.
The first sentence (along with Brady’s pickiness) is the reason for the second sentence.

Love me some Brady. He’s accomplished things - in the biggest of games/in the most desperate of times - that are beyond belief. Clutch, confident, killer. ».

This. 'Nuff Said!

Meh....

Honestly, looking at that list, the thing I notice is the pure garbage that Brady has had to work with. In his 20 years, he has had success with many -Brown, Branch, Moss, Welker, etc but for the most part, Brady has been given trash to work with. And you could easily argue that Brown - was good but only thanks to Brady........

Regarding Troy Brown, that is just completely wrong. The year before Brady took over, he had 83 Rec 944 Yds and 4 TDS. And that was with a 5-11 team and a QB throwing off his back foot.

And the Pats know that and are taking advantage of that leverage.
As they damned well should. They’re the New England Patriots, not the New England Bradys.

Here you go Tune. It is a long article, with graphics, but Bedard's point is summed up here:

Brady used to be QB1 365/24/7 before his squabbles two years ago with Bill Belichick over Brady’s contract and the privileges of trainer Alex Guerrero.

Suddenly, Brady was a part-time QB who couldn’t find the time to make the seven voluntary offseason practices sprinkled in between the three-month post-Super Bowl break, and five-week rest before training camp (seven practices in 5 1/2 months, total).

Then, after the Patriots wouldn’t agree to extend his contract this offseason, Brady had his request honored to not be hit with the franchise tag when his contract voids on the last day of the league year and he becomes a free agent for the first time. Oh, and Brady put his house on the market (so did Guerrero).

So why would it surprise anyone that Brady continued his “I just work here” attitude to that of his rookie teammates?

He argues both sides of the point, but he's already made his point that he sees a shift in Brady's attitude that's more self centered.

To me, Brady's acting exactly like I did a few years ago when I started to slowly unwind my professional life (it'll be a ten year process for me). I allow myself to more often focus on what I want first, because I'm fatigued more easily by life's normal stuff, and because I have convinced myself I've earned it "at this age."

For any of us to expect anything else from him is, IMHO, just naive. Of course he wants things to be a certain way in his last couple of years. And of course he's less patient about it, and more likely to "leak" a little bit emotionally. And honestly, who really cares?

Very well thought out post - and it hit home with me. I “fired” a client on Friday for continually wasting and not respecting my time. It’s something I wouldn’t have dreamed of doing 10 years ago. I can definitely see Brady have no inclination whatsoever to make up for anyone who is not doing their job 100%.

Bedard showed the complete list of receivers drafted by the Patriots over the Belichick era.
The last successful wide receiver drafted was Deion Branch 17 years ago. The last successful player who became a receiver was Edelman in the seventh - a college QB 10 years ago. If you consider Brandon Tate successful you can claim him.
So selecting successful receivers would not come at the expense of the defense.
The lack of “successful” WRs drafted is directly related to the lack of WRs drafted at all and particularly on early rounds. Plus the fact that the team had acquired enough WRs through other means to make the later round guys have a hard time sticking.

In the last 17 years the patriots are # 1 in scoring, #1 in passing TDs, #1 in qb rating, #2 in passing yards and #32 in Ints. I think we have overcome your WR drafting fears quite well.

We won’t know if this story has teeth until after the season, if he doesn’t take what the Patriots are offering and moves on somewhere else for the next couple of years. I can’t see it, but you never know what’s going on behind the scenes. He, quite clearly, was not happy with the decision to part ways with Brown. That’s obvious. But employees often disagree with their employers/bosses and don’t decide to leave over it.

Ironic how the 6 rings on his fingers were won with...

Branch - never 1k yrds
Brown - one 1k yds
Patton- #2 #3 option never 1k
DA- never 700k yds
JE- two 1k seasons
LaFell- never 1k year
Givens- never 1k

....and none with Moss or Welker or Stallworth or Hernandez.......

FFL posters should take note.

Actually he is a great analyst of the Pats in my opinion

The thing that I respect about Bedard is he puts the work into formulating a somewhat educated football opinion as opposed to Trollin' who is the very definition of a lazy-ass slacker.

With that said I have zero patience when he goes on his clickbait rampage

I'm surprised anyone would disagree with this article. Particularly this:

"Brady was "a million percent" in on Antonio Brown, offering up his house and anything else to help speed up Brown's assimilation into the Patriots' offense.

Do you think Brady's doing the same with Jakobi Meyers, Ryan Izzo, Matt LaCosse, Gunner Olszewski and N'Keal Harry (Izzo and LaCosse aren't rookies, but they're in their first year with Brady)?

Of course he's not. Brady wasn't just doing his own job and leaving Brown up to his coaches. Brady had plenty of mental energy for Brown. Why the difference?"

Ah, no.

Their OL is ranked 4th overall. 2019 OFFENSIVE LINES | Football Outsiders

25th passing yes, but Bradys forte is getting the ball off quick if guys are open. People really do not appreciate how much Brady makes the NE look like studs. And Joe Mixon or Sonny Corleone? I know who I would want as my RB.

Joe Mixon???? This is the SECOND time in this thread that you have claimed he plays for the Vikings.:confused:

The thing that I respect about Bedard is he puts the work into formulating a somewhat educated football opinion as opposed to Trollin' who is the very definition of a lazy-ass slacker.

With that said I have zero patience when he goes on his clickbait rampage
Fair enough.

I obviously love Tom Brady. It's him and Larry Bird for me.

However, that article is spot on with respect to it's present day relevance in my opinion. Brady's comments this week were not good.

....and none with Moss or Welker or Stallworth or Hernandez.......

FFL posters should take note.

There are multiple reasons why they never won a SB w/ top flight WRs but I do believe there is a congruency somewhere between having 30+ppg-flying offenses and very mediocre defenses delivering zero championships and stout defenses and good/very good offensive teams being 6x Super Bowl Champions.

We can argue a bounce here, a stop there, a WW catch makes the difference but typically very good/great defenses make the plays when they are required to be made.

We had Gordon for most of the last season.

Or are you only counting post-season availability.

Also keep in mind Gronk is a HoF TE and the most effective receiving threat in the NFL.

I was talking about Moss in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore