PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard does good job reading the tea leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this stage of Bradys career it should be about making his life easier by acquiring better players.

We already know that Brady can make the average JAG WR a household name.
No.It should always be about putting the best, most balanced team on the field which consistently competes for Super Bowls.

Acquiring players just so Tom has an easier job and doesn't have reason to complain is not the #1 priority.

Besides,JE, Josh and Dorsett are vets. Watson as is a vet. White is a vet. Sony ran for 1k yards last year. Injuries aside the line is talented . AB was here until he f-ed up. Harry is a #1 pick. JMD is his guy. He has a great D.

If Tom truly believes the team is not being considerate to his needs then he will never be happy in 2020 here

I’m not sure it’s such an interesting area of discussion, tbh. At this stage of his career, I think Brady wants to be with a team that gives him the best chance to win… a team with a good defense, running game, well coached, etc. Meaning that whether he’s feeling a little disgruntled or whatever, the best place for him is still going to be the Patriots.

I'm sure he's had his whiny moments but I'd caution against believing the media spin on things.

The guys allowed to show emotions without it meaning there's a coup coming but why would the media assume that when they can spin any little sign of emotion into a story about hating BB or making him into some dictator for offensive weapons over letting BB and Nick build a roster they see fit.

Can't he want more veteran weapons while also liking what the roster and team look like and very much wanting to continue to be a part of it even if a little frustrated over weapons.
Depends how you view the job of QB in the NFL.

I view QB as manager. As manager, I am ok if he disagrees with the CEO. He should air those grievances behind closed doors with the CEO. Then, when the CEO explains that they allocated ressources elsewhere for the good of the company, the manager returns to work and helps the business proper.

This team is built to win with defense. Brady is smart enough to recognize that. He should do his best with the weapons at his disposal (cupboard NOT bare, how many QBs in the League work with much less ?) and win based on the ridiculous talent on D.

Can you imagine Brady playing for the Vikings? Mixon, Diggs and Theilen.

Mint the Super Bowl rings before the season started because Brady would destroy the NFL with that talent.
I take it you mean Cook?

At this stage of Bradys career it should be about making his life easier by acquiring better players.

We already know that Brady can make the average JAG WR a household name.
It’s about winning

Bedard makes a big stretch with that article:

Brady's lukewarm endorsement of young WRs
"I think one thing we talk about here is just doing our job," Brady said. "I can do what I can do. Every one player can do what they can do. I can't do anything for anyone else. They can't do anything for me. A lot of it is just trust, just trying to communicate trust and communication."I've always said the best teammates are the ones I have to think about the least. I don't want to expend my mental energy on things that aren't really my job."

No.It should always be about putting the best, most balanced team on the field which consistently competes for Super Bowls.

Acquiring players just so Tom has an easier job and doesn't have reason to complain is not the #1 priority.

Besides,JE, Josh and Dorsett are vets. Watson as is a vet. White is a vet. Sony ran for 1k yards last year. Injuries aside the line is talented . AB was here until he f-ed up. Harry is a #1 pick. JMD is his guy. He has a great D.

If Tom truly believes the team is not being considerate to his needs then he will never be happy in 2020 here

Gordon and Dorsett are your typical cast off players that come to NE to save their careers. Brady will make them better not the other way around. Its on Brady. Its on Mcdaniels to scheme a play like last week to get Gordon the ball because he was not doing it on his own.

Edelman can get open and White can get open. Flip a coin with Gordon or Dorsett.

You lost me at Bedard

Gordon and Dorsett are your typical cast off players that come to NE to save their careers. Brady will make them better not the other way around. Its on Brady. Its on Mcdaniels to scheme a play like last week to get Gordon the ball because he was not doing it on his own.

Edelman can get open and White can get open. Flip a coin with Gordon or Dorsett.
They are vets. That is Tom's beef. He does not want to play nursemaid.

Can you imagine Brady playing for the Vikings? Mixon, Diggs and Theilen.

Mint the Super Bowl rings before the season started because Brady would destroy the NFL with that talent.

You’re kidding, right? The Vikes OL is much worse than the Pats’ OL. He’d get killed there.

Tom is probably just pissed about Harry to IR, AB acquired and released and Thomas released. Tough circumstances that were connected with each other.

Again, things will get better. Our receiving core is solid and will get better as the season goes on.

Honestly, looking at that list, the thing I notice is the pure garbage that Brady has had to work with. In his 20 years, he has had success with many -Brown, Branch, Moss, Welker, etc but for the most part, Brady has been given trash to work with. And you could easily argue that Brown - was good but only thanks to Brady, we saw what Branch and Welker did away from the Pats and if you want to push it, you could say the same thing about Moss (excluding his first period).

I have said it a million times, when Brady's time with the Pats ends, it will not be done in a pretty way - it is going to be ugly and sad. I would love it if they would win the SB this year and he rides off in the sunset with his old lady but I doubt that will happen.

Tom is probably just pissed about Harry to IR, AB acquired and released and Thomas released. Tough circumstances that were connected with each other.

Again, things will get better. Our receiving core is solid and will get better as the season goes on.

Agree. We'll be fine.

You linked an article that can't be read in full without a subscription. The vast majority of us do not have a subscription to Boston Sports Journal. Please summarize the full article's conclusions so your post makes sense.

Here you go @Tunescribe . It is a long article, with graphics, but Bedard's point is summed up here:

Brady used to be QB1 365/24/7 before his squabbles two years ago with Bill Belichick over Brady’s contract and the privileges of trainer Alex Guerrero.

Suddenly, Brady was a part-time QB who couldn’t find the time to make the seven voluntary offseason practices sprinkled in between the three-month post-Super Bowl break, and five-week rest before training camp (seven practices in 5 1/2 months, total).

Then, after the Patriots wouldn’t agree to extend his contract this offseason, Brady had his request honored to not be hit with the franchise tag when his contract voids on the last day of the league year and he becomes a free agent for the first time. Oh, and Brady put his house on the market (so did Guerrero).

So why would it surprise anyone that Brady continued his “I just work here” attitude to that of his rookie teammates?

He argues both sides of the point, but he's already made his point that he sees a shift in Brady's attitude that's more self centered.

To me, Brady's acting exactly like I did a few years ago when I started to slowly unwind my professional life (it'll be a ten year process for me). I allow myself to more often focus on what I want first, because I'm fatigued more easily by life's normal stuff, and because I have convinced myself I've earned it "at this age."

For any of us to expect anything else from him is, IMHO, just naive. Of course he wants things to be a certain way in his last couple of years. And of course he's less patient about it, and more likely to "leak" a little bit emotionally. And honestly, who really cares?

Last edited:
I have said it a million times, when Brady's time with the Pats ends, it will not be done in a pretty way - it is going to be ugly and sad. I would love it if they would win the SB this year and he rides off in the sunset with his old lady but I doubt that will happen.

Doesn't have to be. He either retires on top or falls off a cliff, we decline and he retires then.

His receiving options have not been great overall. However that's why the salary cap exists. It's not made for a team to have 15 All-pros on both sides of the ball.

Honestly, looking at that list, the thing I notice is the pure garbage that Brady has had to work with. In his 20 years, he has had success with many -Brown, Branch, Moss, Welker, etc but for the most part, Brady has been given trash to work with. And you could easily argue that Brown - was good but only thanks to Brady, we saw what Branch and Welker did away from the Pats and if you want to push it, you could say the same thing about Moss (excluding his first period).

Ironic how the 6 rings on his fingers were won with...

Branch - never 1k yrds
Brown - one 1k yds
Patton- #2 #3 option never 1k
DA- never 700k yds
JE- two 1k seasons
LaFell- never 1k year
Givens- never 1k

It’s an interesting article, actually.

Brady looks bored sometimes, like this is preseason and the real games come later.

You’re kidding, right? The Vikes OL is much worse than the Pats’ OL. He’d get killed there.

Ah, no.

Their OL is ranked 4th overall. 2019 OFFENSIVE LINES | Football Outsiders

25th passing yes, but Bradys forte is getting the ball off quick if guys are open. People really do not appreciate how much Brady makes the NE look like studs. And Joe Mixon or Sonny Corleone? I know who I would want as my RB.

Ah, no.

Their OL is ranked 4th overall. 2019 OFFENSIVE LINES | Football Outsiders

25th passing yes, but Bradys forte is getting the ball off quick if guys are open. People really do not appreciate how much Brady makes the NE look like studs. And Joe Mixon or Sonny Corleone? I know who I would want as my RB.

Joe Mixon plays for the Bengals, kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe