PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Be honest: Do the OT rules to end games need changing?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should both teams get a possession in OT?

• Yes

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • No rules are fine as they are

Votes: 118 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how anyone could have a problem with the way the rules are now. It's overtime, each team gets a 50/50 shot to get the ball first. Even if you don't get the ball first, all your defense has to do is hold the other team to a FG or less and you get a great shot to win. If you can't do that, what makes you feel so entitled to deserve the ball? You're asking for a rule change because your defense sucks. That is beyond pathetic. Get a stop.

Ha!! Not salty at all

Even though I think the rule should stay as it is, I think id be great if another rule gets changed due to emotional b!tches whos lost to us.

Eventually they’ll go to the college rules which are horrible and fake and terrible, but they’re “fair.” Babies.
They aren’t though. 2nd team has the advantage. I understand they might rotate, but may never get to the 2nd OT.
Edit: plus 7OT is silly

Ha!! Not salty at all

Even though I think the rule should stay as it is, I think id be great if another rule gets changed due to emotional b!tches whos lost to us.
KC becoming the new Colts.

Literally not more than 5-6 hours earlier was there an example of how the current OT works well enough.

F**king asshurt babies. They wouldn't be proposing this if they won the coin toss and then won the game. So say they rule changes to their way.. go down and score 7. then the other team ties it up. Now what? does it revert to sudden death next to score wins or does it revert to the current rules where a FG can't win it unless both teams have possessed the ball? Either way a team goes down and scores a TD and wins, now what? people are still crying about the game being won on the coin toss blah blah blah

I don't recall anybody from Atlanta crying for a rule change. Am I right?

28-3 prohibited Atlanta from making a fuss about it. Can't really make a stink about OT when you blow a 25 point lead in basically a quarter.

But Chiefs also look dumb here. Not like Brady threw a 70 yard TD on the 2nd play of OT. Pats were 3rd and long at least 3 or 4 times on that OT drive. MAKE A F**KING STOP...

The only way to make overtime fair is pistols at 10 paces.

Fixed. True sudden death overtime, and problem solved.

th_coffee.gif

KC becoming the new Colts.

Right, still a long way to go to reach that level of ****, but between this and reid insinuating that the refs should have ignored a blatant offsides infraction just cuz, they do look pretty bad.

Eventually they’ll go to the college rules which are horrible and fake and terrible, but they’re “fair.” Babies.

Agreed. Then they can start getting steroid era numbers and 84-83 type stuff of games. Ratings though the roof. Mahomes: 14 TDs (8 in OT) will be something scrolling on your tv before long.

In a perfect world for kickers ...
OT would be decided with a field goal contest ... kind of like soccer.
How much would the top 5 or 6 kickers be worth for that?

How'bout this Andy, we keep playing in OT no matter how long it takes until you get a lead and then you win.? Then, you can come up for air from your face buried on your play sheet and we can glorify Kermit'da Frog in a Presser about how nfl* never saw a QB like yours before.

I heard an analysis on the radio today on one of those gambling shows and they tried to answer the question of how to make the coin flip irrelevant.

Their conclusion was that, keeping the same scoring rules as now (TD wins, FG gives the opposition a shot) the team winning the coin flip could choose between:

A) taking the ball first but at the 15 yard line, with no kickoff.

Or

B) kicking off.

The reasoning is that when starting a drive at the 15, the odds of what team scores next is precisely 50-50.

I prefer no change, since it is not too far from 50-50 now... maybe 53-47, IIRC.

Just stupid. I hated the whole field goal walkoff but a touch down is in your face, you suck and had your chance from that team trotting all the way down the field when everything is on the line. It’s fine as is.

Agreed. Then they can start getting steroid era numbers and 84-83 type stuff of games. Ratings though the roof. Mahomes: 14 TDs (8 in OT) will be something scrolling on your tv before long.
I didn’t even think about the effect on stats, but you’re absolutely right.

Goodell has the finesse of a one eyed mongo rhinocerous in a Port-A-John...time to get a slimy corporate attorney in there, someone who knows business and people. All fans hate this douchebag with a vengeance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents