PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB loves him some Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree but this notion that Jones is going to light it up in TC and beat out Stidham and Cam is a pipe dream. It's not happening with Bill as HC. The bar for Jones to jump to get that spot is enormously high with our complex offense and Bill's belief in Cam.
I am not saying he will but I don’t think it’s far fetch that he will because I think the bar is low.

Cam has been really good only one year of out his 11 year career. His MVP season. Otherwise he has been average all of his career. Reading this forum, I feel like Jones has to beat a perennial pro bowler, MVP and futur first ballot hall of famer.

my scenario is Jones will better than both in camp but Bill will play Cam. Cam will suck and we are gonna have « Cam is the starting QB » all year long.

I am not saying he will but I don’t think it’s far fetch that he will because I think the bar is low.

Cam has been really good only one year of out his 11 year career. His MVP season. Otherwise he has been average all of his career. Reading this forum, I feel like Jones has to beat a perennial pro bowler, MVP and futur first ballot hall of famer.

my scenario is Jones will better than both in camp but Bill will play Cam. Cam will suck and we are gonna have « Cam is the starting QB » all year long.
I totally agree. The issue is that the forum does not believe Cam is perennial pro bowler, we believe Bill thinks Cam is a perennial pro bowler. That is the rub here. The fact that he resigned the guy and brought no one else in, pretty much tells you Cam is the guy. It will be very difficult for a rookie, no matter who he is, to beat out Cam with Bill's belief in him. And yes, I find that extremely depressing and I hope I am wrong. :(

I totally agree. The issue is that the forum does not believe Cam is perennial pro bowler, we believe Bill thinks Cam is a perennial pro bowler. That is the rub here. The fact that he resigned the guy and brought no one else in, pretty much tells you Cam is the guy. It will be very difficult for a rookie, no matter who he is, to beat out Cam with Bill's belief in him. And yes, I find that extremely depressing and I hope I am wrong. :(

I'm not sure that the structure of Cam's contract really indicates a firm belief in him by BB, nor does drafting a QB in the top half of the first round. Cam being unseated as the starter will require both Jones to be progressing quickly, and Cam being a liability on a team that isn't winning. I think it's fair to say he'll keep Cam as the starter a little longer than fans would like, but I don't really see where fans are getting the idea that he's so loyal to him that he'd refuse to make a move if it will make the team better. There just might be a difference in opinion between fans and coach as to when that switch flips.

I am with you. I am really exited to have a rookie Qb but really depressed by the idea of having to watch Cam all season

I'm not sure that the structure of Cam's contract really indicates a firm belief in him by BB, nor does drafting a QB in the top half of the first round. Cam being unseated as the starter will require both Jones to be progressing quickly, and Cam being a liability on a team that isn't winning. I think it's fair to say he'll keep Cam as the starter a little longer than fans would like, but I don't really see where fans are getting the idea that he's so loyal to him that he'd refuse to make a move if it will make the team better. There just might be a difference in opinion between fans and coach as to when that switch flips.
All the excuses Bill made for him last year make me think he likes him very much and I am afraid that the fact that Bill like Cam will make him do the switch too late. If he make the switch at all.

I am with you. I am really exited to have a rookie Qb but really depressed by the idea of having to watch Cam all season

If we're watching Cam all season, one of two things has happened: Either we're winning with Cam (so you shouldn't be depressed) or the kid isn't ready (so it may not be wise to elevate him before he's earned it). I just can't imagine a scenario where Jones is ready and looks good in practice, while Cam is stinking it up on the field, but Bill doesn't make the move.

All the excuses Bill made for him last year make me think he likes him very much and I am afraid that the fact that Bill like Cam will make him do the switch too late. If he make the switch at all.

People don't like the Mahomes situation comparison because they say he sat behind a legitimate starting QB in Alex Smith. I don't disagree with that, but it works the other way too: Cam was the starter all year last year because no one behind him, not Stidham and certainly not Hoyer, made the case that they were better options. If Jones does, and Cam stinks, Bill will make the move.

NFL Analyst Casts Bold Mac Jones Prediction Ahead Of 2021 Season (nesn.com)

Mac wins the job in camp over Cam and leads all rookie QB's in TD passes? Yes please!

Here's another bold prediction. If this happens, meaning Mac beats Cam out for the starter job in camp, the Patriots will not only make the playoffs they'll win at least one playoff game. If Cam starts, the Pats miss the playoffs.

It puts pressure on Mac to perform if he wants to be on the field and assuaged veterans that the guy they liked and followed last year won't simply be replaced because of a rookie's draft position.

NFL Analyst Casts Bold Mac Jones Prediction Ahead Of 2021 Season (nesn.com)

Mac wins the job in camp over Cam and leads all rookie QB's in TD passes? Yes please!

Here's another bold prediction. If this happens, meaning Mac beats Cam out for the starter job in camp, the Patriots will not only make the playoffs they'll win at least one playoff game. If Cam starts, the Pats miss the playoffs.
I am with you, I think if Cam plays all season we don’t make the playoffs.

And Bill finishes with his second straight losing season as coach.

I'm sure Bill will do what needs to be done when it becomes obvious in camp who the right guy is for this team.

The team is significantly better at positions other than quarterback, and I'm not using the "woe is use for the virus opt outs" argument, as that's been wildly overblown. But, while the AFCE competition should be stronger, the Patriots are still getting some things that bode very well for their record this year:

• They get multiple rookie QBs, and BB usually feasts on those
  • They get new head coaches, and BB usually fares well in those matchups
  • They get damaged goods QBs
  • They get the Texans, a team they've usually beaten, and is in disarray

There's more, but my point is just to note that the team should be able to show itself as significantly improved even with the dubious QB position. Will it be enough to make the playoffs in a conference where it's likely that 7 teams will be competing for 2 playoff spots? Time will tell. Even with good QB play, that may be something difficult to expect.

PatsFans should all know by now that they operate as a meritocracy and no matter what is said BB and crew will do what is best for this team.. whether it be Newton, Stidham or Jones.. remember the brouhaha when BB did not relinquish the position back to Bledsoe after BB promised he would... Despite all the hearsay evidence that BB "loves" Cam is all based on conjecture or some guy said.

PatsFans should all know by now that they operate as a meritocracy and no matter what is said BB and crew will do what is best for this team.. whether it be Newton, Stidham or Jones.. remember the brouhaha when BB did not relinquish the position back to Bledsoe after BB promised he would... Despite all the hearsay evidence that BB "loves" Cam is all based on conjecture or some guy said.
It is a myth that the Pats are a meritocracy. Otherwise, Butler is never benched. Also, Cyrus Jones never gets start after start despite being putrid.

The team is significantly better at positions other than quarterback, and I'm not using the "woe is use for the virus opt outs" argument, as that's been wildly overblown. But, while the AFCE competition should be stronger, the Patriots are still getting some things that bode very well for their record this year:

• They get multiple rookie QBs, and BB usually feasts on those
  • They get new head coaches, and BB usually fares well in those matchups
  • They get damaged goods QBs
  • They get the Texans, a team they've usually beaten, and is in disarray

There's more, but my point is just to note that the team should be able to show itself as significantly improved even with the dubious QB position. Will it be enough to make the playoffs in a conference where it's likely that 7 teams will be competing for 2 playoff spots? Time will tell. Even with good QB play, that may be something difficult to expect.
If we give Cam a mulligan for the Denver game... he was 7-7.

The Patriots should be improved on defense and improved offensive weapons.

They should have an easier schedule this year.

The Patriots should be at least competitive for a wild card with Cam.

If we give Cam a mulligan for the Denver game... he was 7-7.

The Patriots should be improved on defense and improved offensive weapons.

They should have an easier schedule this year.

The Patriots should be at least competitive for a wild card with Cam.
Why are we giving mulligans? Do we then take away the win against the Cardinals, because that was played against an obviously hobbled Kyler Murray?

I think Bill will play whomever looks best in camp. Nothing is given to any of these guys. Cam just had the inside track because of his veteran experience...But if he shows that last year was just a combination of injury/covid/learning curve. I think he will start

...I just can't imagine a scenario where Jones is ready and looks good in practice, while Cam is stinking it up on the field, but Bill doesn't make the move.

Mac could have a 2001 Brady TC, but as long as Cam has even just a mediocre camp and is healthy, Bill will NOT start Mac the first four weeks, especially vs TB....Book it.

It is a myth that the Pats are a meritocracy. Otherwise, Butler is never benched. Also, Cyrus Jones never gets start after start despite being putrid.

Pray tell, why was Butler benched?? No one really knows except BB, Coaches and Butler..

Pray tell, why was Butler benched?? No one really knows except BB, Coaches and Butler..

didn’t someone say butler had the flu really bad and didn’t practice much before the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents