PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB loves him some Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will agree just based on the fact that Bill is in love with Cam otherwise if your 1st round rookie is really close to your transition QB you play the rookie. Why lose a year when he is already at your starting QB level? If you are afraid to play your 1st round QB because you are afraid that he can’t handle it then you are already in trouble.

I think BB respects that Newton, for all his performance troubles, never blamed anyone else, took it all on himself, and got the respect fo the other players on the team. That matters. If he was "in love" with Cam, he'd have signed him for more than a back-up/prove it type of deal. Newton is a seasoned vet with a good attitude. BB respects that.

It's also not about being afraid to play Jones as much as it's been a notable reality around the NFL for a long time that guys who get thrown in early often never meet their promise (Darnold is the latest example). Wilson is the exception.

Mahomes and Rodgers got the time to acclimate to the realities of the NFL, and if you listen to a lot of ex-QBs, like Pennington, they say that breaking in slowly at that position is a much better situation for the rookie QB going forward.

for all the excitement for Jones, he still only started a little more than a dozen college games. Are the reps there to throw him to the wolves?
I agree that if the team feels Jones benefits from sitting, that’s what he should do.
However : let’s keep it real. Despite « few » games, he was in a successful system for years and, more importantly, those 12 games all meant something. He played, and beat (usually handily) all of the strongest teams in college football in pressure situations.

Wilson (smaller school) this/that : playing QB at Alabama is a beast in itself and if he could stand the heat there...

I think BB respects that Newton, for all his performance troubles, never blamed anyone else, took it all on himself, and got the respect fo the other players on the team. That matters. If he was "in love" with Cam, he'd have signed him for more than a back-up/prove it type of deal. Newton is a seasoned vet with a good attitude. BB respects that.

It's also not about being afraid to play Jones as much as it's been a notable reality around the NFL for a long time that guys who get thrown in early often never meet their promise (Darnold is the latest example). Wilson is the exception.

Mahomes and Rodgers got the time to acclimate to the realities of the NFL, and if you listen to a lot of ex-QBs, like Pennington, they say that breaking in slowly at that position is a much better situation for the rookie QB going forward.
Both Mahomes and Rodgers were drafted into situation were the team had a very good established QB. If Mahomes or Rodgers were drafted in a team were the QB was the 31st in the nfl, they would have started week one

I agree that if the team feels Jones benefits from sitting, that’s what he should do.
However : let’s keep it real. Despite « few » games, he was in a successful system for years and, more importantly, those 12 games all meant something. He played, and beat (usually handily) all of the strongest teams in college football in pressure situations.

Wilson (smaller school) this/that : playing QB at Alabama is a beast in itself and if he could stand the heat there...
I completely agree. I insist on the fact that I want them to play him week one if he is better or really close to Newton. If it’s the case I don’t see the benefit of seating him

is that in the best interest of Jones and the team? Or are we following the Jets proven playbook for failure when drafting qb’s High in the draft!!!!
Yes! Explain the benefit to me to seating him if he is better than Newton?

i don’t remember us being the jets so if Jones start week one he will be in a much better situation than Darnold. I also think that Darnlod has been jeted and will be better in Carolina.

Russel Wilson started right away as a 3rd round pick I guess Seattle made a wrong decision.

My prediction: The team will be better; Cam will not.

Why waste time on a has-been?

Comments:

- Cam has not even been a Patriot for a YEAR yet (he signed on June 29th, 2020).

- Cam got knocked on his arse by COVID. Just look at how much it affected Jayson Tatum for 2-3 months!

- This fall, Cam will have: Algohor, Bourne, Meyers, Harry, Olszewski, Smith, and Henry vs. Edelman (3-4 games), Meyers, Harry, Byrd, Asiasi (5-6 games), & Keene. Not to mention that our RB's got dinged too and even White had an off year in pass blocking.

- This fall, the Patriots D will have: +Mills, +Hightower, +KVN, +a healthy Gilmore, + Judon, + Godchaux, +Barmore, +Anderson, all 2nd/3rd year guys like Uche/Jennings/Wino poised to take a leap forward, and DB's like Miles Bryant & Michael Jackson who have shown promise.

- I also think Gunner will prove to be even better at PR's to flip the field.

- All of that plus what I think is an easier schedule (no NFC West and Chiefs on the sked along with the weak NFC South).
Love the positivity Hyped, but Cam Newton’s performance in the second half of last years was worse than any QB the Patriots have had in 20 years.

Comments:

- Cam has not even been a Patriot for a YEAR yet (he signed on June 29th, 2020).

- Cam got knocked on his arse by COVID. Just look at how much it affected Jayson Tatum for 2-3 months!

- This fall, Cam will have: Algohor, Bourne, Meyers, Harry, Olszewski, Smith, and Henry vs. Edelman (3-4 games), Meyers, Harry, Byrd, Asiasi (5-6 games), & Keene. Not to mention that our RB's got dinged too and even White had an off year in pass blocking.

- This fall, the Patriots D will have: +Mills, +Hightower, +KVN, +a healthy Gilmore, + Judon, + Godchaux, +Barmore, +Anderson, all 2nd/3rd year guys like Uche/Jennings/Wino poised to take a leap forward, and DB's like Miles Bryant & Michael Jackson who have shown promise.

- I also think Gunner will prove to be even better at PR's to flip the field.

- All of that plus what I think is an easier schedule (no NFC West and Chiefs on the sked along with the weak NFC South).

There is absolutely nobody on patsfans that has any idea about Newton's medical status. Likewise, for the Dummy Squad to be so unconditionally dismissive of covid is intellectual desperation.

Newton will not need to carry the team because there is nobody on that schedule capable of rolling over our defense.

Once again, the Dummy Squad massively overrates the Tampa's offensive performance. It's not as hard to score 30 points if your 3 TD drives cover 40 yards total or you have the ball with 3 seconds left and the idiot DC leaves the fastest guy in single coverage with a scrub CB.

Even Derek Carr can figure that out.

All BB is doing is playing locker-room politics and letting the kid develop at his own pace without needing to meet media -driven expectations.

Everything he says/does is purposed to meet those two objectives.

Everything else is noise.

Love the positivity Hyped, but Cam Newton’s performance in the second half of last years was worse than any QB the Patriots have had in 20 years.

We had the GOAT the last 20 years man! Better to compare him vs. Bledsoe....like Bledsoe coming to a new team with limited reps, poor personnel at the skill positions, getting COVID, and playing a tough schedule....

Even Derek Carr can figure that out.

That was a bullschitt TD...if I ever saw one. Gregg Williams deserved to be fired over that. If not for that, the Jets likely take Justin Fields in the draft around pick #6 or #7.....

1-3 with a W over the Jets. Cam showed last year he can at least do that.

I really hope Mac wins the job in camp.
Well the one Jet game they won was because the Jets missed a fg I think. lol

BELICHICK:
It's true! It's true! The Hoodie makes it clear:
The rookie must be perfect to appear.

The GOAT we made just twenty years ago, still,
at first was wide-considered not so hot.
And barring unretirement for Mo, we'll
Play Cam a lot!

FANS:
"The Patriots lost 3 games in Decembah
He'll exit with the league year on the dot.
And Stidham was the backup, folks, remembah!
Hence Cam a lot!"
Cam a lot! Cam a lot!
It sounds like coaching with a buzz,
Playing Cam a lot - Cam a lot?!!

BELICHICK:
It was what it was.

NFL FILMS WRITER:
The reign they said can't fail up in New England!
By eight, no further touchdowns would be caught

BELICHICK (aside, to Ernie Adams, at draft)
In short, you're smoking pot
If now you think we've got
For Brady-ever-aftering
No other plan than
Cam a lot.

BELICHICK (To Press and Fans)
Cam a lot! Cam a lot!

COLOR COMMENTATOR WEEK ONE:
I know he gave the fan base pause,
Saying "Cam a lot." Cam a lot!

BELICHICK (At Podium)
It was what it was.

The JEST have drafted prepubescent Ellen
And Tua and Josh Allen, this is not.

BELICHICK (aside, to Ernie Adams)
In short, you're smoking pot
If now you think we've got
For Brady-ever-aftering
No other plan than
Cam a lot.

And Cam Newton's not alone
Cam a lot! Cam a lot!
We drafted Cameron McGrone...

Too bad he couldn't show this sort of commitment to the GOAT. Cam can't play, but he costs around 10% of what Brady does. That's what he loves about him. He's obsessed with bargains. Which aren't really a thing at the QB position. Unless you get really lucky with a draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back