PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB loves him some Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bb had done a decent job of eliminating all the excuses for newton sucking next season.

and now he is grooming a replacement!

For newton, a 100 percent improvement in touchdown passes this season Over last season is still less than 1 per game!

No way bb can dismiss that!

Makes sense to hold on Mac until we're mathematically eliminated from playoffs. BB may or may not tell Cam this, doesn't matter, Cam should do everything he can do win every game. Best case is Cam has an Alex Smith type year in KC before a young QB comes in after learning.

is that in the best interest of Jones and the team? Or are we following the Jets proven playbook for failure when drafting qb’s High in the draft!!!!

Bb had done a decent job of eliminating all the excuses for newton sucking next season.

For newton, a 100 percent improvement in touchdown passes this season Over last season is still less than 1 per game!

I've made the "replacement value" argument here at length too... you don't need to hit a home run at QB. If we get passing-game mediocrity (instead of league-trailing production) out of the QB position and hold everything else constant (in other words, improve just enough to keep up with improvement across the league,) that makes us a playoff team.

I would not be surprised to see Cam's performance tick up, and I would not be surprised to see that 2020 Cam really is the reality of Cam.

But as you seem to indicate, this isn't an "OMG, so-and-so's window is closing!" moment or anything like it. It's a normal QB transition. Sitting the kid for a year can be good from many perspectives.

As fans, we're impatient to play with our brand new Red Ryder BB gun. Most places it's the parents saying "you'll put your eye out, kid." In New England, it's the BB that says that.

But since our team also treats personnel info like the nuclear launch codes, you can always dream. It's like Shrodinger's cat. Until the decision's made, any given theory is both alive and dead.

Makes sense to hold on Mac until we're mathematically eliminated from playoffs. BB may or may not tell Cam this, doesn't matter, Cam should do everything he can do win every game. Best case is Cam has an Alex Smith type year in KC before a young QB comes in after learning.
Best case, Cam hits it out of the park on the cheap, the kid sits on the cheap (rookie deal, and by the way, sorry to celebrate this Mac but yay, you're top 15 not top 10), everybody's got competitive fire in their belly on the cheap.

The better question isn't "when does Mac start," it's "What if Cam's good?"

There's little new downside risk in playing Cam because he was so bad in 2020 as a passer. You can replace his run game with actual running backs, (And yeah it's a nice gadget to have a running QB, but for the most part that run yardage and those run TDs should come from RBs).

But what if something clicks or he further recovers, or our local Cam-fans are right and he just had no receivers? What if he throws for 3,500 yards and 30 TDs and keeps that 65% completion percentage and 10 int.s? In Cam-land, that would be a career year, but what if he had the COVID and didn't have the tools?

That would be a nice problem to have, Mac holding the clipboard thinking "but if experience is required for the job where I'm supposed to get experience..." while Cam gets him Garopollo-style rings

By the way, if anybody thinks there's not enough incentive for fierce competition at the position... Cam went to Auburn.

Here is another question, what if Mac Jones was a product of the superstars around him at Alabama and has no business QBing a NFL team?

At least Cam has done it at an MVP level before. I have high hopes for Cam. If he does suck, it is not because they did not give him enough weapons. IF you think about the Pats roster, it is geared more towards Cam than Jones. TE heavy with a ton of RBs. The Pats could be a very dominant run offense. If you have to account for Aguliar on the outside, the two TEs, Harris and Michel, and then Cam running, that is alot of weapons.

More and more NFL defense are going to faster smaller guys, the solution, is bigger stronger running game. The Bucs Devon White is 6' 230, Cam is 6' 5" 245. Cam could truck him! Look for the Pats to have a dominate running game, followed by Henry and Smith on seam passes and a healthy screen game. Back in 2018 San Diego upset the ratbirds using basically safties playing LB. What did the Pats do the next week? They ran the ball down their throats and scored on 5 of their first 6 possessions and the game was basically over by halftime.

Best case, Cam hits it out of the park on the cheap, the kid sits on the cheap (rookie deal, and by the way, sorry to celebrate this Mac but yay, you're top 15 not top 10), everybody's got competitive fire in their belly on the cheap.

The better question isn't "when does Mac start," it's "What if Cam's good?"

There's little new downside risk in playing Cam because he was so bad in 2020 as a passer. You can replace his run game with actual running backs, (And yeah it's a nice gadget to have a running QB, but for the most part that run yardage and those run TDs should come from RBs).

But what if something clicks or he further recovers, or our local Cam-fans are right and he just had no receivers? What if he throws for 3,500 yards and 30 TDs and keeps that 65% completion percentage and 10 int.s? In Cam-land, that would be a career year, but what if he had the COVID and didn't have the tools?

That would be a nice problem to have, Mac holding the clipboard thinking "but if experience is required for the job where I'm supposed to get experience..." while Cam gets him Garopollo-style rings

By the way, if anybody thinks there's not enough incentive for fierce competition at the position... Cam went to Auburn.

Yea. I personally think Cam will surprise people and play well. Tom House said Cam's foot was injured last year and he couldn't properly plant to throw. Cam played great the first 3-4 weeks and is also a great competitor.

Comments:

- Cam has not even been a Patriot for a YEAR yet (he signed on June 29th, 2020).

- Cam got knocked on his arse by COVID. Just look at how much it affected Jayson Tatum for 2-3 months!

- This fall, Cam will have: Algohor, Bourne, Meyers, Harry, Olszewski, Smith, and Henry vs. Edelman (3-4 games), Meyers, Harry, Byrd, Asiasi (5-6 games), & Keene. Not to mention that our RB's got dinged too and even White had an off year in pass blocking.

- This fall, the Patriots D will have: +Mills, +Hightower, +KVN, +a healthy Gilmore, + Judon, + Godchaux, +Barmore, +Anderson, all 2nd/3rd year guys like Uche/Jennings/Wino poised to take a leap forward, and DB's like Miles Bryant & Michael Jackson who have shown promise.

- I also think Gunner will prove to be even better at PR's to flip the field.

- All of that plus what I think is an easier schedule (no NFC West and Chiefs on the sked along with the weak NFC South).
They have no excuse for not being better

That was a bullschitt TD...if I ever saw one. Gregg Williams deserved to be fired over that. If not for that, the Jets likely take Justin Fields in the draft around pick #6 or #7.....

It might have been a mercy killing. All sides probably got "what they wanted".

Does Mo Lewis have a son playing in the NFL? We can always hope.
That's really scummy

I don't CARE about TD passes per se. Judging a QB like Newton strictly by his passing is more of a sign of your lack of imagination than in his execution of the offense. This is an offense that is heavily optimized for the rushing attack. We can afford to treat our passing game as our change-up rather than our fastball, if you can stand the mixed metaphor.

I'm gonna care a lot more about the scoreboard and Cam's ability to be a field general for a run first offense than an arbitrary concern about only one aspect of Cam's game.

That's really scummy

I don't CARE about TD passes per se. Judging a QB like Newton strictly by his passing is more of a sign of your lack of imagination than in his execution of the offense. This is an offense that is heavily optimized for the rushing attack. We can afford to treat our passing game as our change-up rather than our fastball, if you can stand the mixed metaphor.

I'm gonna care a lot more about the scoreboard and Cam's ability to be a field general for a run first offense than an arbitrary concern about only one aspect of Cam's game.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Drinking again?

I hope Kraft fires him. Maybe we can bring in Tony Dungy.

So we have a Bleacher Report article that is based on an opinion from one of the talking heads at espn, and PatsFans forum members come to the conclusion that 'Belichick loves Newton', and the first round draft pick will sit for the entire year.

Question: if BB is indeed so enamored by Cam (as some have been posturing here for awhile now), then why did he utilize his one and only first round draft pick on another player at the same position?

So we have a Bleacher Report article that is based on an opinion from one of the talking heads at espn, and PatsFans forum members come to the conclusion that 'Belichick loves Newton', and the first round draft pick will sit for the entire year.

Question: if BB is indeed so enamored by Cam (as some have been posturing here for awhile now), then why did he utilize his one and only first round draft pick on another player at the same position?
...or pay him a 2021 contract which makes him very cut-able if he doesn't meet expectations

I still can’t believe that the Pats didnt start Stidham in the last couple games last season just to see what the hell he is.
I was surprised, but you really have to guess that they do NOT like the look of his progress. I think they're looking at him exactly as they just signaled for Jones: Look better than Cam, earn your shot. You have to hope that Mac's got a whole nother level of competitiveness and talent, because we did NOT go to Jarrett
That's really scummy

Super-important to judge the stat anomalies, especially outliers. 8 TD passes over the course of a season for a starting NFL QB is an outlier. I don't want to win the Super Bowl of Imagination Land. I do not think that Cam's legs paper over that outlier (i.e., adding 12 rushing TDs). The high comlpetion percentage and decent number of throwing yards, all told, get him to "maybe he's on the low side of mediocre, not wretched." That's like a zero exam grade - "Don't drop the class - ace everything else this semester and you could still squeeze a D out of it."

It's not the old days when a guy can sit 2-3 years without it raising eyebrows, but 1 year on the bench is not a lot of time. I don't think BB "loves" Cam, but he's getting us fans ready for what he views as normal - play him when he's the best option, not before.

This is where I am at too. Scoreboard, results, and etc...many ways to skin a cat....

I don't want to win the Super Bowl of Imagination Land. I do not think that Cam's legs paper over that outlier (i.e., adding 12 rushing TDs).
Belichick seems to disagree. Let's see who turns out to be correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye