PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barring Trades Are All Of These 23 Defensive Locks (or almost locks)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm fine with Croston or an addition in the next month at OT.

I think the Harmon is one the very best #3 safeties in the NFL. I see no reason to weaken that position, especially with McCourty in his contract year.

Shelton or Wise could certainly be cuts. Wise seems more like if we are moving to running a 34 more often. Unless Parry has improved more than I have noticed, I would keep Shelton, even if Parry is the #3 NT. Guy would be more of a swing between DT and DE.

I would think so too, but FWIW Bedard has Harmon as a cut, one of several surprises (Deatrich Wise, Danny Shelton).

The tackle position is looking a lot less settled right now than we expected early in camp.

It’s not looking at past seasons it’s looking at the philosophy that Belichick has with respect to how the game is changing. If teams start coming out in I formations with a TE FB and 2 WRs then we will return to front 7 football. But that just isn’t happening any more. 3 wides is normal and most TEs are glorified WRs. It like saying how do you know Belichick won’t go back to the single wing. It’s just the place the game has evolved to.

Bentley is the 4th best lb on a team that typically puts 2 on the field. Unless you are telling me you evaluate him to be among the 2 best of HT, KVN Collins and him, he is a back up. When he was drafted that’s pretty much what the expectations were and I didn’t see 138 snaps worth of play that has me close to thinking he is any where near ahead of any of those 3.

It will be interesting this year with Mayo in a leadership role with personnel who can line up in 4-3, 3-4 or 5-2, and then stunt based on what they see open up. The additions of Collins and Winovich give them so much flexibility, especially with a veteran and fast secondary to further complicate matters for QBs.

I like Roberts in this rotation. He won't have to drop back in coverage where he is weakest and can focus on tracking the ball or hitting gaps.

Opposing running backs have their hands full trying to figure out who is coming and who is staying home.

It will be interesting this year with Mayo in a leadership role with personnel who can line up in 4-3, 3-4 or 5-2, and then stunt based on what they see open up. The additions of Collins and Winovich give them so much flexibility, especially with a veteran and fast secondary to further complicate matters for QBs.

I like Roberts in this rotation. He won't have to drop back in coverage where he is weakest and can focus on tracking the ball or hitting gaps.

Opposing running backs have their hands full trying to figure out who is coming and who is staying home.
You have one too many players in addition to the 5 dbs.
Roberts is buried on the depth chart.
If he is on the field and it’s a pass he has to cover.

I'd be disappointed if Roberts makes the team...we have better, more athletic linebackers now.
I'm not sure about Shelton and Wise either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes