PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante goes off on Bill/Pats organization

Malcolm Butler career stats (regular season):

59.2% comp
93.0 rating

Malcolm Butler career stats (postseason):

56.1% comp
73.6 rating

His recent game with the Titans he gave up 11 yards on 5 targets for a 8.3 rating.

3rd & 33 at the 45 yard line. The Falcons pick up anything significant the pats are losing the SB. Who was in coverage on the incompletion? You guessed it.

The suggestion that a big game player wouldn’t have made a difference in a superbowl is hilarious.

I have a hard time believing our best tackling corner couldn't have made just a couple of plays on third and fourth down that Richards Rowe BadMostly and Chung didn't make. He didn't have to dominate all game and win game MVP - just 2 or 3 plays. That's all that was needed to reverse the outcome.

Devin McCorty said he knew Malcolm would not start, but had no idea he would play zero snaps. Eric Rowe said the same thing.

You do realize there is a "football" decision element to benching Butler. Eagles having tall receivers being a poor match for Butler, and the strategy to encourage them to pass more because Bill knew team couldn't stop the run (their weakness).

Bill has never wavered on it was a "football decision" that placed the team in a better position to win line.

This is no normal weekly press conference. There were multiple times where he was asked over and over again about the Butler benching: "why Bill why?"

You believe he told them it was a football decision but it was really Bill punishing him but lying about it to cover for Butler? That just makes it way worse, both in his lying about the reason for the benching and in keeping him out of the entire game over a "minor team infraction" as reported.

Wow dude, you're digging yourself into a hole.
I've never said anything about whether Malcolm would play or not. Never weighed in on that.

I'm going by what many Patriots players have said. When they say it was a punishment and refer to something he did, they know but are unwilling to say, whether it's McCourty or Marquis Flowers or Lawrence Guy. I mean, they've flat out said, "Malcolm knows why!" So... I know Malcolm says he doesn't.

As for whispers coming from the Patriots offices, Schefter did get it from somewhere that it was a curfew violation.

I've never said anything about whether Malcolm would play or not. Never weighed in on that.

I'm going by what many Patriots players have said. When they say it was a punishment and refer to something he did, they know but are unwilling to say, whether it's McCourty or Marquis Flowers or Lawrence Guy. I mean, they've flat out said, "Malcolm knows why!" So... I know Malcolm says he doesn't.

As for whispers coming from the Patriots offices, Schefter did get it from somewhere that it was a curfew violation.
You're all over the place. This isn't about the players. It was Bill's decision:

1. Do you believe Bill was lying when he said he benched Butler over a "football decision?"

2. Do you believe the real reason Bill benched Malcolm was to punish him for the entire game for some team infraction (curfew violation)?

You're all over the place. This isn't about the players. It was Bill's decision:

1. Do you believe Bill was lying when he said he benched Butler over a "football decision?"

2. Do you believe the real reason Bill benched Malcolm was to punish him for the entire game for some team infraction (curfew violation)?
I've been entirely consistent and I've already answered those questions multiple times. Never said anything about "entire game." You're taking someone else's strawman argument and applying it to me. Go back and read.

I've been entirely consistent and I've already answered those questions multiple times. Never said anything about "entire game." You're taking someone else's strawman argument and applying it to me. Go back and read.
Ok thanks, so you believe Bill is a liar that made the worse decision in the history of the Super Bowls. That's what I thought.

Ok thanks, so you believe Bill is a liar that made the worse decision in the history of the Super Bowls. That's what I thought.
You thought Bill is a liar who made the worst decisions? Interesting. Maybe go root for the Jets if your mind is this tortured by winning (that is, assuming this isn't something you already do).

It's top 2 at least depending how you feel about Pete Carroll's play call at the 1 yard line.

1. Multiple players are on record as saying they know what Butler did to deserve the punsihment. But you know better than actual Patriot players. Laughable.

2. Belichick has played players plenty of times in the same game he punished them. For instance, Wes Welker was benched for a series or a quarter. But he played. This is not contradictory at all.

3. If Butler did something that prevented him from taking part in that week's preparations on defense, it's not a mystery as to why he wouldn't see the field, even after he saw time on special teams. He was still punished.

You're the only one here arguing he wasn't being punished.
I want to see this "list of multiple players on record as saying they know what Butler did"? Because the most important player on the team by far - Brady - had no idea why Butler was on the sideline during the game.

The only reason why Belichick had Butler play one snap on special teams was to make some asinine point. Butler didn't do anything egregious because you can't hide anything too severe. Belichick took it too far because he's a total assh*le. What Belichick ended up doing was punish the team. He also completely embarrassed his defense specifically. I mean how could you not cringe watching Jordan Richards clumsily flop around the field trying to cover or tackle. Bademosi too. Both completely in over their heads and hung out to dry by their head coach. The whole thing was a total disgrace.

The Welker benching was uncalled for too. The only thing that accomplished was f*cking up the offense's first drive. There also was the ill-advised fake punt in that game. Another big game that got torpedoed by Belichick's spite and arrogance.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing our best tackling corner couldn't have made just a couple of plays on third and fourth down that Richards Rowe BadMostly and Chung didn't make. He didn't have to dominate all game and win game MVP - just 2 or 3 plays. That's all that was needed to reverse the outcome.
Of course Malcolm would have made a difference......as long as his head was on right and prepared to play the game.

Of course Malcolm would have made a difference......as long as his head was on right and prepared to play the game.
Bill played guys like Thomas and Moss who was dogging it near the end of his run here and quit on the team. It wasn't us saying that - Pats opponents were. And there is no doubt he would have played Brady if he did whatever Butler did. So I'm sure he could have played Butler no matter what his mindset was - and made the defense much better than it was.

If you want to make a statement to Butler - then before Butler has a chance to celebrate the Super Bowl win tell him to find his own way back from Minneapolis and clean out his locker when he gets back to Foxboro. That's how it should have been done.

Bill played guys like Thomas and Moss who was dogging it near the end of his run here and quit on the team. It wasn't us saying that - Pats opponents were. And there is no doubt he would have played Brady if he did whatever Butler did. So I'm sure he could have played Butler no matter what his mindset was - and made the defense much better than it was.

If you want to make a statement to Butler - then before Butler has a chance to celebrate the Super Bowl win tell him to find his own way back from Minneapolis and clean out his locker when he gets back to Foxboro. That's how it should have been done.
You are assuming the Thomas/Moss situations are the same as Malcolm's- they aren't.

Again with the hypothetical about Tom. The guy played 19 years here. He started every single game he was healthy enough for after the Bledsoe injury. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't ready for a game he'd be sitting.

You are assuming the Malcolm issue required a "statement" to be made.

Were you even around when the Patriots defense was declared the least talented D in all of football in 2001? In retrospect, it had Ty Law... &... Willie McGinest. But you forget about McGinest being considered a bust in this league until Belichick came to town. Anyway, they weren't start studded.

Talentwise, the 1996 defense was probably worse than average. Ty Law was a rookie.

The 2018 defense had one All-Pro, Stephon Gilmore. No one else even made the Pro Bowl. The only other Patriot who had even been selected to a Pro Bowl was Donte Hightower just once two years earlier. Most stellar defenses have multiple stars.

Belichick put together a dominant roster over 20 years and won 6 Super Bowls. The fact that you're been criticizing him for a decade and a half tells me why I should probably ignore your posts from now on. In fact, ON IGNORE.
I don't remember McGinest being considered a bust and I don't consider pro bowl selections a true measure of a player. Plenty of high caliber players get snubbed.

I don't remember McGinest being considered a bust and I don't consider pro bowl selections a true measure of a player. Plenty of high caliber players get snubbed.
There was a period during the Pom Pom era he was hurt a lot but I don't recall the word "bust" describing Willie ever

There was a period during the Pom Pom era he was hurt a lot but I don't recall the word "bust" describing Willie ever
yup, he was a pretty highly touted player

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back