PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As much as I absolutely hate to say it, Brady has not been playing well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady has become a bit of a rorshack ink blot. Different people see different things. The answer will not come until the off season IMO. The season will be what it will be, but if they move on from Brady in the spring, we'll know where Belichick stood on the "has he regressed or not" spectrum.

Wynn will help but a pair of Wynn and AB WOULD be the savior.

Now hearing Seattle would be interested in Signing AB like they have WR Problems Hmmmmm. Didn't we just give them Gordon so greedy Pete.:rolleyes:

each of last 2 years? You realize he was NFL MVP 2 years ago. You’re just making this stuff up now.
Closer to 3 years ago now...some things happen slowly, others not so much...

"So...Thirteen years from now they'll still be talking about Tom & me...and they'll still be misspelling my name?..."
Dwt80ecUYAYIdeM.jpg

no doubt, and it doesn't all have to do w/ talent in the other positions

there's WAY more throws that are off in the short range area, he missed more screen passes than i can to count just last game alone

his consistency on putting the ball on target has faded a lot this year, but has been fading each of the last two years a lil bit to where he was at the same level as other starters in the league, this year it has dropped off a cliff, for some reason, hopefully he gets it back, because if you can't even throw accurate behind the LOS, you can't play QB in NFL for long

Tom Brady completion percentages:

2102: 63.0
2013: 60.5
2014: 64.1
2015: 64.4
2016: 67.4
2017: 66.3
2018: 65.8
2019: 63.7

The data tells us that Tom Brady completes a lower percentage of passes when he has a lesser offensive team around him, and a higher percentage of passes when he has a better offensive team around him. The data doesn't indicate any particular loss of overall accuracy, and it certainly doesn't indicate any kind of a cliff.

This is not a standard in-season slowdown. This doesn't happen every year. This is a 2013 level problem. And the nonsense about wins and losses is just that, as Brady and Belichick have made clear, year after year. It's always been about play over record.

****, BB made that clear, way back in 2009.

None of that means that things can't get turned around. I expect that they will, at least to some extent. But the folly of dismissing the problems is just that: folly.
I think maybe we are talking about different things here. so I will expand/clarify.

I am saying the only piece of the regular season that impacts the post season is wins and losses because they determine making the playoffs and seeding.
Beyond that effect what happens during the regular season does not effect the post season.
To wit, the Miami and Detroit games for example last year caused the AFCCG to be in KC because they affected seeding but how they played in those games had no impact on the afccg.

Now how a team plays is useful in assessing and predicting, which I think is part of what you are saying big teams evolve over a season and part of the evolution is working over coming weaknesses. We have seen a lot of that with this team over the years.

So taking the case of the offense last game, their play had zero effect on the prospects of the team, that is it was good enough to get a win which is all that matters in the long run.
On the other hand if it cannot improve it will
remain an issue the gave to overcome to win a SB. Personally I do not see a lack of talent that inherently would prevent the offense from being very good. I also expect, as usual, in a big game Brady elevates them. In late January what will matter is what seed they achieved and how they are playing at the time, not what they did in week 11.

I think maybe we are talking about different things here. so I will expand/clarify.

I am saying the only piece of the regular season that impacts the post season is wins and losses because they determine making the playoffs and seeding.
Beyond that effect what happens during the regular season does not effect the post season.
To wit, the Miami and Detroit games for example last year caused the AFCCG to be in KC because they affected seeding but how they played in those games had no impact on the afccg.

Now how a team plays is useful in assessing and predicting, which I think is part of what you are saying big teams evolve over a season and part of the evolution is working over coming weaknesses. We have seen a lot of that with this team over the years.

So taking the case of the offense last game, their play had zero effect on the prospects of the team, that is it was good enough to get a win which is all that matters in the long run.
On the other hand if it cannot improve it will
remain an issue the gave to overcome to win a SB. Personally I do not see a lack of talent that inherently would prevent the offense from being very good. I also expect, as usual, in a big game Brady elevates them. In late January what will matter is what seed they achieved and how they are playing at the time, not what they did in week 11.

I have seen nobody complaining about a 9-1 record, and neither Brady nor Belichick is pointing to the team's record, so why would you point to it even for a split second? It has literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

I have seen nobody complaining about a 9-1 record, and neither Brady nor Belichick is pointing to the team's record, so why would you point to it even for a split second? It has literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
Of course it does. It determines playoffs and seeding. The only thing that has happened that will affect the post season us whether those games were won or lost.
Pretty sure Brady and Belichick feel the record is very important.
What it has to do with the discussion at hand us just what I said. It’s the only thing set in stone. And the only thing from those 10 games that will impact the post season.

Of course it does.

No, it doesn't. The discussion is about the play of the offense. The thread title is even more specific, focusing solely on Brady. Neither of those discussions involves the team's current record, as Brady's own public frustration demonstrates quite well. And you know that, so don't start with the ********. I've kept you visible after the name change rather than just putting this moniker on ignore along with the previous one, but I'm not going to join in when you play these idiot games just because you've swapped out screen names.

No, it doesn't. The discussion is about the play of the offense. The thread titles is even more specific, focusing solely on Brady. Neither of those discussions involves the team's current record. And you know that, so don't start with the ********. I've kept you visible after the name change rather than just putting this moniker on ignore along with the previous one, but I'm not going to join in when you play these idiot games just because you've swapped out screen names.
First of all I didnt “change screen names”.
Secondly if you want to argue that winning and losing doesn’t matter in the NFL find someone else’s time to waste.

Last edited:
There's a whole other thread on Brady's passing performance.

But...

I'll make just a few points.

1. Passing ratings are meaningless when they overemphasize incompletions, and our QB more than any other doesn't mind throwing the football away to avoid negative plays.

2. He's throwing the ball in like 1.5 seconds because he knows the pressure on the left is coming faster than ever before. Grant Williams would be a huge upgrade.

3. What does his passer rating look like if Edelman catches that ball?
Speaking of cliffs, Edelman lately is already in the air and milliseconds away from knocking a crater in the ground. As in, he has stunk it up. A completely different player, not in a good way, in multiple games this year, especially the last two.

Supply him with Wynn and AB and his stats will be looking a lot different and shut y’all up. Of course he’ll shut you up regardless in crunch time in the playoffs.
If he had just one receiver who could get open just every now and then and also catch the ball when it got to him, this thread never would have come into existence. Witness what Brady looked like oh those eons ago, way back September 15, when a certain embattled wideout played his one game with this team (hopefully not his last).

This may be an unpopular observation, but this thread is a lot like other threads I read on Drew Bledsoe back in 1997-2001. Many excuses are being made for Brady's sub-par performance like: Back up C, turnstile at LT, no pro bowl battering ram FB, retired HOF TE, no deep threat, etc...etc...

The question should be whether the Brady of old would have been able to make chicken salad out of this chicken poop? Look at the '06 - '07 season....Brady managed to get us out of San Diego alive in the divisional round....can he do that today? I am not so sure....
You do realize that all of these subtractions from the offense happened all at once? There hasn't been a season Brady has played with this team where so many losses have all coincided in the same season. There have been times when we were short on WR talent; we didn't always have Gronk, and once he got here he was frequently injured; but losing Gronk, Develin, Andrews, Brown, and Wynn, coupled with Edelman suddenly not looking like Edelman anymore, all of that happening at once is unprecedented for Brady (and is more than Bledsoe had to deal with his last season).

Tom Brady completion percentages:

2102: 63.0
2013: 60.5
2014: 64.1
2015: 64.4
2016: 67.4
2017: 66.3
2018: 65.8
2019: 63.7

The data tells us that Tom Brady completes a lower percentage of passes when he has a lesser offensive team around him, and a higher percentage of passes when he has a better offensive team around him. The data doesn't indicate any particular loss of overall accuracy, and it certainly doesn't indicate any kind of a cliff.
Wait...so you mean he plays better with offensive linemen who can block, and receivers who can get open and catch?

Id expect any QB his age to struggle with 0 run game. This dude isn’t going to carry a team anymore. No one is at his age

Wait...so you mean he plays better with offensive linemen who can block, and receivers who can get open and catch?

Right? It's shocking to realize that, even with elite QBs, the players around have some impact on the ability to produce, I know. It's as if all of NFL history in this area has been correct.

Apparently, a bunch of Patriots fans are just figuring out what fans of every other team have always known. And what's really odd about that is that 2013 should have already taught the lesson.

everybody in this thread should submit THEIR resumes to One Patriot Place...qualifications aside, all of you can absolutely promise a better record to this abhorrent 9-1...I'm sure the management will give all of you due consideration.

Was going to create a new thread for this thought but figured it isn't worthy of that.

I still have complete faith in Tom, but does anyone wonder if the new helmet might be a slight distraction (albeit a minor one)?

Tom lobbied hard for the league to grandfather in his old helmet style, and in previous seasons he had explored making the change to a more modern helmet but always reverted back, saying he couldn't get the comfort/feel he wanted and was used to.

Not to boil his inconsistent play down to one variable, as surely there are many contributing factors, but potentially this new helmet is nagging at him a bit?

I'll go ahead and change my avatar to a picture of Tom wearing the current helmet; hopefully that'll get some good ju-ju going.

I am watching the Jets game again (at Jets, week 7) and Brady looked fantastic in the first half. No Gordon and and Sanu's first game as well. He was sharp, decisive and threw the ball with force. Don't think they are that far off from getting back to a 24+ point offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes