PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are there any first round prospects you really don't want?

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
In the first round of the draft, are there any prospects you REALLY don't want? Are there any guys that are being touted but fail your eye test?

Do not want anywhere in round 1:

Kadarius Toney
Gregory Rousseau
Mac Jones

Mac Jones if some foolhardy GM thinking that he is drafting Alabama decides to take him in round 1.

Justin Fields is just another Kyler Murry/ Lamar Jackson type. As I stated prior, when the NFL rules that you are forbidden from tackling a running QB out of the pocket, then I will want a Fields, Murray, Jackson.

I dont want a QB in the 1st round anyway. NE needs a player who can help the team win now and not a project for the future.

Huh, I mean Fields is a pocket passer, not a running first QB.

Anyway, I would say Mac Jones, a tackle outside the top 2 (Slater and Sewell), Barmore, Caleb Farley (I like him as a player but do not want to see another bust due to college injury), Jayson Oweh (all world ability but no production on the field), Jamin Davis (Kiper's binky).

Huh, I mean Fields is a pocket passer, not a running first QB.

Anyway, I would say Mac Jones, a tackle outside the top 2 (Slater and Sewell), Barmore, Caleb Farley (I like him as a player but do not want to see another bust due to college injury), Jayson Oweh (all world ability but no production on the field), Jamin Davis (Kiper's binky).

I'm not advocating for Oweh at all, and certainly not in the first round, but pass rusher is one of those odd positions where production isn't as important as explosive traits. Obviously, not all players reach their potential, but there have been a number of good players in the last decade who didn't have much college production. Look at Ezekiel Ansah, Danielle Hunter, Chandler Jones, etc -- they had physical profiles that translated well to the NFL, despite mediocre college production. Oweh seems to have similar tools. It's an intriguing position.

Cousins,
Interesting post here.

I am scared to death about Fields and his OSU stigma, There are no OSU QBs who have been a success in the NFL. Mostly terrified because the actual "blue chip" players it could cost us.

I guess running back. And not because I wouldn't like to see one of the top two, but again, what player did we ignore to get another RB? Michel in the First Round did not work out. Michel was a 4th Round value.

Oweh because he is a "potential" pick or what I would classify as a "definite maybe" in the NFL. Looks like Tarzan and you know the rest of that tag line.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah....... Becuase he is too light for an OLB /DE in our defense and you need someone to set the edge for BB. He'd wind up in the Adrian Phillips role and we already have Phillips.

Gregory Rousseau. He took off a year. It showed on his Pro Day. His Team mate Phillips showed him up.

Rondale Moore. College production was great. A 5'7" WR will be beat up by any NFL CB before he knows what hit him. He is not Hill. He's a fly sweep guy in our Offense.

Barmore. Because of the lack of DT talent this year, he is being pushed up the board. 2nd day? O.K. AT #46 ? Why not..

DW Toys

From reading BCG and others who give players grades by round, it seems that the talent takes a dive after the top 16, and starts to get into "round 1/2" and "2nd round" grades.

So everybody below that, I don't want in the first round (if that's what you meant in your original post).

On the other hand, I'm happy to have any "first round prospect" on the team if we can grab them in rounds 5-7. :)

QB, RB or WR. Hard pass...

Mac Jones
Asante Samuel JR
A tight end
A D tackle
A guard
A kicker
A punter
A center
A long snapper
A running back

I think Michel lives in a strange no-mans land between overdrafted yet productive. Most first round misses flame out badly...I feel if Michel had been taken as a 2nd or 3rd it would be a success, and still it isn't a signing that makes me cry badly.

With so many good players on Defense and Offensive Tackle this year, do not want to spend a 1st on WR Waddle. I hope some bad drafting team takes this injury prone guy early so that we don't have to debate whether to try to get him.

I've seen some self-proclaimed experts here gush about Trey Lance. Meanwhile I've seen hard statistical analysis showing how inaccurate this guy is beyond very short passes, compared to other QB prospects. So, I would consider Trey Lance risky and not worth packaging multiple 1st rounders for. Our 1st round pick has to be a hit.

Article that covers how: Lance hasn't played any FBS team, throwing accuracy chart, his team's offense ran the ball 70% of the time...

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back