PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are there any first round prospects you really don't want?

Wait.... Someone is defending Goff as a player?
rofl.gif

Mac Jones

The next first round prospect

I didn't use the word "busts". I think it's a stretch to call a first round pick a success before he has played a single down. Whether it's a success when you have to package your former #1 overall with two additional first round picks to get rid of him is debatable, IMO.
Love wasn't one of the guys I referred to as a success. This list of players is in this thread.

Love wasn't one of the guys I referred to as a success. This list of players is in this thread.
Dude, you were the one who picked Love out of my list of non-successes.

That's what I've been saying. I don't trust them to be the only team who thinks Garrett Mills is a 1st rounder because of their record in this regard.
Helluva assumption there. You don't know the grades they put on the players; you only know when they drafted them.

Helluva assumption there. You don't know the grades they put on the players; you only know when they drafted them.
I've been pretty clear on this. The writers reported that they had 1st round grades on O'Connell and Mallet. They talked to people inside the Patriots front office. I've said this a great many times.

I've been pretty clear on this. The writers reported that they had 1st round grades on O'Connell and Mallet. They talked to people inside the Patriots front office. I've said this a great many times.
And it means nothing. If you ever went to some of their draft parties, they talk about every draftee as if he's going to the HoF.

And it means nothing. If you ever went to some of their draft parties, they talk about every draftee as if he's going to the HoF.
OK, from now on, I'll keep that in mind. Draft boards, values, ratings, it all means nothing. Or you man they lied to Curran and like an idiot, he reported it. Which also means, get your info at a place like this, not from the likes of Curran--even though I'll wager everyone has an account of what went down between Brady and Belichick, and it all comes from the likes of Curran. But I guess you never weighed in on any of that.

OK, from now on, I'll keep that in mind. Draft boards, values, ratings, it all means nothing. Or you man they lied to Curran and like an idiot, he reported it. Which also means, get your info at a place like this, not from the likes of Curran--even though I'll wager everyone has an account of what went down between Brady and Belichick, and it all comes from the likes of Curran. But I guess you never weighed in on any of that.
No, media reports on the Patriots are almost always inaccurate and made up. Acting as if they are fact is foolhardy.

Ever read the scouting reports on Mallett?

(Walter Football)
Projected Round (2011): 1-4.
3/9/11: Ryan Mallett had a fantastic Pro Day, prompting some of the NFL Network crew to speculate that he could be drafted in the first round. Mallett would be a top-five pick if it weren't for his lack of intelligence, arrogant attitude and "alleged" drug use.

(Bleacher Report)
If the right circumstances arise, Mallett could come off the board in the late first/early second round of the 2011 draft.

(SB Nation)
I have him and Gabbert on top of the quarterback class with both needing work but tons up potential. Mallett is a 1st round quarterback talent but character and technique concerns could facilitate a drop. I feel he has the tools and ability to be an impact player in the NFL.

Mallett's stock dropped when he admitted to using drugs and being a big party guy. Whatever grade you think the Pats had on him, they took him as their second pick in the middle-3rd round, right around where he was projected - not for talent or potential, but for his behvior in college off the field. Of course the Pats were then going to pimp him with big talk thereafter, particularly in his fourth year, as they were trying to get a decent pick in trading him.

To claim they can't judge QB talent because of some hypothetical (and that's all it is) grade on a guy like Mallett who showed the talent (see above) is just...stretching. Mallett was drafted as a back-up, served in that role, and was then traded away, which is the perfect scenario for a back-up because it means your starter started.

(Walter Football)
3/9/11: Ryan Mallett had a fantastic Pro Day, prompting some of the NFL Network crew to speculate that he could be drafted in the first round. Mallett would be a top-five pick if it weren't for his lack of intelligence, arrogant attitude and "alleged" drug use.

(Bleacher Report)
If the right circumstances arise, Mallett could come off the board in the late first/early second round of the 2011 draft.

(SB Nation)
I have him and Gabbert on top of the quarterback class with both needing work but tons up potential. Mallett is a 1st round quarterback talent but character and technique concerns could facilitate a drop. I feel he has the tools and ability to be an impact player in the NFL.

Mallett's stock dropped when he admitted to using drugs and being a big party guy. Whatever grade you think the Pats had on him, they took him as their second pick in the middle-3rd round, right around where he was projected - not for talent or potential, but for his behvior in college off the field. Of course the Pats were then going to pimp him with big talk thereafter, particularly in his fourth year, as they were trying to get a decent pick in trading him.

To claim they can't judge QB talent because of some hypothetical (and that's all it is) grade on a guy like Mallett who showed the talent (see above) is just...stretching. Mallett was drafted as a back-up, served in that role, and was then traded away, which is the perfect scenario for a back-up because it means your starter started.

Tell Josh McDaniels to take a vacation 6000 miles away when draft day happens. A total moron. packaged 3 picks for Tim Tebow. He DOES NOT know talent.

(Walter Football)

(Bleacher Report)

(SB Nation)

We didn't need Mallet. We spent a 3rd round pick on him. Anyone could have done the backup job Mallet did. Mallet smoked weed at a party. BFD--no one was worried about that. What worried them were some issues above the neck. And scouts say a ton of stuff but the fact remains, the Patriots told Curran Mallet had a 1st round grade, and no one else wanted the guy that high, or in the 2nd, or most of the way through the 3rd--not even the QB needy teams. Which the Patriots weren't

Those who assessed Mallet as a dud were proved right.

Tell Josh McDaniels to take a vacation 6000 miles away when draft day happens. A total moron. packaged 3 picks for Tim Tebow. He DOES NOT know talent.

NEM, is that you back from the grave?

Seriously, did McDaniels bang your wife or something? You can't have this much hate for someone that you have never met. Its unhealthy.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back