PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Big Moves Soon to Happen? Can you feel it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see your logic here. The word "entirety" is pretty specific to me and means "everything" which would make it around 26M for the next two years or 13M a year.
In order to get a calculation of 2 years, $26 million, you have to combine 2 contracts. You are not looking at the entirety of the new deal, you are looking at the new deal PLUS grabbing the final year the old deal, which makes no sense once the old deal is expired.
Obviously it would be stupid to take 2016 into account because it is already in the past and done while we are not even past the draft for 2017 where he still has only a projected cap charge that can change (900k saved if traded).
You've just 100% made my point for me.

Yes, it is stupid to take 2016 into account because 2016 is done and that would be looking into the past. Similarly, one year from now when it is 2018 and they are deciding what to do with Garoppolo (assuming he is still here), it will be stupid to look at 2017 because 2017 is the past. They are not going to say "we will give you $25 million this year because that's really only $13 million..."

Bottom line is this: The Patriots do not say to players "we underpaid you last year, so we will overpay you next year because it all balances out." Once 2017 is over, they are not going to say to Garoppolo "we only gave you $1 million last year, so we will overpay you this year since it all balances out."

What they will do is completely disregard whatever money he made in the past and decide if he is worth 1 year, $25 million. (Spoiler alert: He isn't)

All I know is that I just don't know. I long ago gave up trying to figure out Belichick and it has been of tremendous benefit to my mental health. I just give thanks we've got the greatest coach of all time and let things play out as they do without any speculation.

It's been quiet for awhile. Belichick started the off-season with several bold moves. I think most of us really like those moves.

But now? The draft is around the corner and there are a couple of potential trade assets that Belichick could package in several different trade scenarios -- and once again reshape the roster entirely.

Of course, it's possible Belichick keeps both Butler and JG and sticks with what he has left in draft picks. Personally, I think both Butler and JG will be traded in blockbuster moves. After all, it's so unlike Belichick to sit on his hands and do nothing. Especially with these bargaining chips.

Bill Barnwell of ESPN just proposed what he admitted was a crazy 3 way trade involving the Patriots, Saints, and Browns. The Pats lose JG/Butler and gain #1 overall pick this year and a conditional 4th round 2018 pick which could become a 3rd round pick if Garoppolo plays 70% of the snaps. Oh, Cleveland also throws in Josh Gordon. Not enough? Probably not to lose both Butler/JG; however, having the #1 overall pick? Wow, so many trade down options with that possibility. Or you could just take Myles Garrett. Regardless, I think Cleveland is coming to terms with the thought of surrendering the #1 overall pick to New England for Garoppolo. So, let's just assume the Pats snag that #1 pick.

How many teams would be willing to give a BOATLOAD of picks for Garrett? I like the idea of trading down, perhaps more than once, with a few guys in mind.

Here are a few players who could be available (with a trade down) and who I'd love to have on the NE roster:

1) Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU. Want a YOUNG, physical back? They don't come any tougher, stronger than this guy. Imagine how much easier Tom Brady's life would become.

2) Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State. If Butler is lost, this would be the perfect replacement.

3) Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State. A true play maker at safety.

4) Haason Reddick, LB, Temple. Looks like a perfect fit with rare athleticism.

5) Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee. Might wind up being more productive than Garrett.

However this shakes out, I think NE fans are in for a very very wild ride in the next few weeks. The calm before the storm?

Yep. Indeed.
Dream on, Draftnik. Dream on !

In order to get a calculation of 2 years, $26 million, you have to combine 2 contracts. You are not looking at the entirety of the new deal, you are looking at the new deal PLUS grabbing the final year the old deal, which makes no sense once the old deal is expired.
You've just 100% made my point for me.

Yes, it is stupid to take 2016 into account because 2016 is done and that would be looking into the past. Similarly, one year from now when it is 2018 and they are deciding what to do with Garoppolo (assuming he is still here), it will be stupid to look at 2017 because 2017 is the past. They are not going to say "we will give you $25 million this year because that's really only $13 million..."

Bottom line is this: The Patriots do not say to players "we underpaid you last year, so we will overpay you next year because it all balances out." Once 2017 is over, they are not going to say to Garoppolo "we only gave you $1 million last year, so we will overpay you this year since it all balances out."

What they will do is completely disregard whatever money he made in the past and decide if he is worth 1 year, $25 million. (Spoiler alert: He isn't)
This seems pretty basic.

Don't hold your breath, when Schefter dismisses talk of Jimmy G being traded with such confidence and has done for months it makes me believe it's not going to happen he clearly gets his info from people at the top of the organization

Butler might be traded but with him needing paid on top of it, i can't see them getting anything but a pick at the very end of the first round or top of 2nd round.

Either way if you expect the Pats to be picking magically in the top 20 some draft day i think its wishful thinking.

But Patriots media PR guy, Mike "First Round Arm Talent" Mayock said a few days ago that he isn't ruling out a Garoppolo trade and the Browns should trade the #12 overall pick.

Who knows who is talking to who but both Mayock and Schefter are media people the Pats use to spread their message in the media.

LMAO, not for #1 overall or even #11. The Browns are even more brain dead than anyone thought if they offer that up for Garoppolo. I don't think he's going anywhere this year. That's a chip that Belichick, at least so far, seems to value more than a draft pick.

We have no idea what people value Garoppolo as. Rumors are (from Cleveland writers) that the Browns are willing to part with the #12 overall.

All I am saying is that at least the Browns are very interested in trading for Garoppolo. So the possibility of a trade is real. There was no interest around the league for Mallet and all the trade talk in these parts were just BS fantasy talk.

Brace yourself ..... seismic forces are in motion

upload_2017-4-18_12-50-36.png

upload_2017-4-18_12-55-28.png

upload_2017-4-18_12-49-35.png

upload_2017-4-18_12-51-55.png

#12 and a 2nd rounder seal the deal.

We have no idea what people value Garoppolo as. Rumors are (from Cleveland writers) that the Browns are willing to part with the #12 overall.

All I am saying is that at least the Browns are very interested in trading for Garoppolo. So the possibility of a trade is real. There was no interest around the league for Mallet and all the trade talk in these parts were just BS fantasy talk.
Given the state of our draft capital, I'd have to think if the Browns were really interested in trading a top 15 pick, it would have happened already. Either Belichick values holding onto Garoppolo more than that for one more year (unlikely) or that hasn't been offered and is just baseless speculation (likely).

Asinine fantasy trade offer by Barnwell. Sounds like that preposterous JJ Watt trade offer from earlier in the year.

It appears to them that it dors and there is a cogent argument to support it.
No there isn't. He's never going to be anything more than a backup in the league.

Why? If you believe he's better than any prospect in this draft and he will turn your team around then you do it. You have to be right or it will cost you your job but getting a franchise QB is the most difficult thing to do as a GM and if you believe you can get one you take your shot.

I know what you are saying and I agree but it's unlikely any GM thinks that way about JG based on what we've seen and in a small sample size - at least a guy who you MUST trade 1 overall - and if they do then they shouldn't be GM.

Pats made an offer to Gillislee.

Given the state of our draft capital, I'd have to think if the Browns were really interested in trading a top 15 pick, it would have happened already. Either Belichick values holding onto Garoppolo more than that for one more year (unlikely) or that hasn't been offered and is just baseless speculation (likely).

I never thought Garoppolo would be traded until just before the draft if he was going to get traded. There is no upside to trade him any earlier no matter what the Browns were offering because the Browns' offer can only get sweeter. The closer to the draft, the more leverage the Pats have.

No there isn't. He's never going to be anything more than a backup in the league.
you are aware that there are professional talent evaluators who disagree with you right? Or do you seriously think you are presenting the only opinion that exists?

There are some dominoes that could still fall.

If Butler gets traded to Saints -- We trade for Sherman.
If Jimmy G gets traded for a ransom -- Draft night gets a whole lot more interesting.

At least our GM is too smart to promise fireworks. Looking at you Celtics and Bruins!!

We'll see what happens. But even if not a single trade happens and we keep both Butler and Jimmy G -- We are rolling out the #1 team in the NFL on paper for 2017 on opening day. That's a pretty awesome feeling. :)

BB the GM has really helped BB the coach a ton this off-season.

My gut feeling is we'll trade Butler and sign J. McCourty. I think Bill is keeping JG for two years and will see where his 42 year old QB is at at that time. JG is affordable, keeping him 2 years is basically equivalent to a 2 year/$26M contract now, about $1M this year and $25M as a franchised QB next year. Expensive but affordable.
Hard to imagine Belichick paying 25m dollars to a guy who wouldn't even be playing, isn't it? I mean, this is a unique situation, sure, but it's hard to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back