Any Cooks follow-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Because he was flat-out ragdolled from the head down. If anybody knows anything, it's not on the first page of posts. Will check back in the morning.

Well, he did walk off the field under his own power.

By the way, I know it's tough to marvel at the Pats' successes this season now... but 500 yards after Cooks was out of the game? Are you kidding me? Just sayin'.

Malcolm Jenkins took out Cooks, no penalty it really pissed me off.. if the NFL was serious about concussions there would be a rule that Jenkins sits out until Cooks returns.. but as they are not the status quo suffices.

The same thing for when Gronkowski was concussed.. there is a lot of real estate between the knees and head that he can be tackled.

BTW Malcolm Jenkins also took out Hogan on the final hail mary, that was a blatant foul. Can never understand why the so called, "letting them play" only applies to the Superbowl.. in the biggest game on the biggest stage you change the standard??

The NFL and concussions is just lip service and makes no sense to me..

Malcolm Jenkins took out Cooks, no penalty it really pissed me off.. if the NFL was serious about concussions there would be a rule that Jenkins sits out until Cooks returns.. but as they are not the status quo suffices.
Cooks has to have his head on a swivel. Once he caught it and ran, he is a runner and not afforded protection of helmet to helmet. Think of the hit Michael Floyd put on the Dolphin (?) last year. Similar situation. Floyd was blocking for Edelman and the DB wasn't watching..... In those situations, either watch everybody to avoid getting lit up or go to the ground. Cooks looked disoriented and paid the price unfortunately.

Cooks has to have his head on a swivel. Once he caught it and ran, he is a runner and not afforded protection of helmet to helmet. Think of the hit Michael Floyd put on the Dolphin (?) last year. Similar situation. Floyd was blocking for Edelman and the DB wasn't watching..... In those situations, either watch everybody to avoid getting lit up or go to the ground. Cooks looked disoriented and paid the price unfortunately.

Did you even see that hit???? His head was on a swivel!

If the league forced teams to release a final injury report, given Belichick military background Cooks status would be:

He's probably still in Minnesota trying to hurdle guys and deciding whether or not to go down

The same thing for when Gronkowski was concussed.. there is a lot of real estate between the knees and head that he can be tackled.

BTW Malcolm Jenkins also took out Hogan on the final hail mary, that was a blatant foul. Can never understand why the so called, "letting them play" only applies to the Superbowl.. in the biggest game on the biggest stage you change the standard??

The hit in cooks was entirely legal.

PS, in all seriousness, you can just head-butt a runningback with impunity? There's no helmet-to-helmet rule on running backs?
No. There can’t be. Can you imagine trying to tackle a rb if that was a rule?

Helmet to helmet only applies to defenseless players.

No. There can’t be. Can you imagine trying to tackle a rb if that was a rule?

Helmet to helmet only applies to defenseless players.

Okay when you put it that way... er, it sort of makes sense. Something in me sees that clip and says "there oughtta be a law." I guess manslaughter might apply even if the NFL rules aren't broken...

He's probably still in Minnesota trying to hurdle guys and deciding whether or not to go down

That was a good old fashioned Boston tea-bag party.

I agree that a hit to the helmet should warrant a flag, and even an ejection - That's an easy argument to push for.

With regards to Cooks' hit specifically, the reason there was no flag, was because he esablished himself as a runner, and was not a defensless receivers. Now again, runner vs. receiver is a ******** argument if you ask me. Helmet to helmet should immediately draw a penalty and an automatic ejection regardless of what capcity the player on offense was at that given moment. I'm just trying to point out that by the existing rule, Cooks was not a defensless receiver, and hence there was no flag thrown.

Okay when you put it that way... er, it sort of makes sense. Something in me sees that clip and says "there oughtta be a law." I guess manslaughter might apply even if the NFL rules aren't broken...

If helmet to helmet is illegal when the player is defenseless to prevent concussions, it should also be illegal when the player is a runner. It's still going to result in a concussion regardless of how defenseless he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes