PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: Another lawyer has “fired” him as a client

But the one who is defending him (the one who looks like Bartolo Colon with a wig) against the moving company is still on the job this week??

So does this seem correct in summarizing this drama dating back to training camp?

Antonio Brown is broke (see the many, many issues he’s had which all revolve around money), blows up on the Raiders in order to get them to cut him so he can get another signing bonus out of the Patriots. His insane behavior at Raiders training camp is so bizarre it can only be explained as a con.

Britney Taylor waits until this additional signing bonus is announced, and thinking Brown is finally solvent, files a lawsuit immediately to pressure him into settling.

But it’s a huge misstep by Taylor.

She saw the bonus, no doubt, which answers the question of why she filed this immediately after he signed with the Patriots. But what she didn’t realize is that the check hadn’t been paid yet, and by making the case very public, she inadvertently killed the golden goose.

Taylor’s story may or may not be true, but whatever happened, this is all about money. And if you just assume that both Brown and Taylor are doing everything possible for financial gain, then the behavior from both of them is better understood.

As for the NFL and the Patriots, they are aware that the Raiders stunt was an attempt to double dip on sign-on bonuses, which may be the first time in modern sports that a player has faked a mental illness to break one contract and then pickup another. Brown is blackballed forever from the league. It isn’t about his off field troubles...it’s that he basically stole from an owner why he won’t play another down in the league.

???

So... He's broke?

That mean we can sign him for short money? Yessssss!

Do it now! Do it!

So does this seem correct in summarizing this drama dating back to training camp?

Antonio Brown is broke (see the many, many issues he’s had which all revolve around money), blows up on the Raiders in order to get them to cut him so he can get another signing bonus out of the Patriots. His insane behavior at Raiders training camp is so bizarre it can only be explained as a con.

Britney Taylor waits until this additional signing bonus is announced, and thinking Brown is finally solvent, files a lawsuit immediately to pressure him into settling.

But it’s a huge misstep by Taylor.

She saw the bonus, no doubt, which answers the question of why she filed this immediately after he signed with the Patriots. But what she didn’t realize is that the check hadn’t been paid yet, and by making the case very public, she inadvertently killed the golden goose.

Taylor’s story may or may not be true, but whatever happened, this is all about money. And if you just assume that both Brown and Taylor are doing everything possible for financial gain, then the behavior from both of them is better understood.

As for the NFL and the Patriots, they are aware that the Raiders stunt was an attempt to double dip on sign-on bonuses, which may be the first time in modern sports that a player has faked a mental illness to break one contract and then pickup another. Brown is blackballed forever from the league. It isn’t about his off field troubles...it’s that he basically stole from an owner why he won’t play another down in the league.

???
I feel like the faked insanity explanation would have made sense at some point in the process, but we’re pretty far past that point now. He didn’t have some master plan to become an alleged felon who could very well be spending some time in jail.

I see your :eek::eek::eek::eek: and raise you :cool::cool::cool:

d%#*!@t, Ian needs to add a”shocked” emoji for us to hit.....
The emoji needs to look like Captain Renault from Casablanca.

Regards,
Chris

Brown is blackballed forever from the league. It isn’t about his off field troubles...it’s that he basically stole from an owner why he won’t play another down in the league.

I mean, that and it speaks to an alarming level of unreliability. It will take a desperate team indeed to feel like they can count on this guy to have his priorities straight for a full season, and no matter what you thought of the Patriots WR situation, it would be very unlike them to make a move like that out of desperation.

I feel like the faked insanity explanation would have made sense at some point in the process, but we’re pretty far past that point now. He didn’t have some master plan to become an alleged felon who could very well be spending some time in jail.

I agree it seems very odd that he would basically fake insanity with the Raiders when so many subsequent events have made it appear the guy is really off his rocker. But I’m just looking at his behavior in Oakland followed by him coming back to sanity, supposedly, with the Patriots. His craziness always seems to stem from him not getting what he wants, like a child. So, I think in Oakland he wanted to get out of town and/or wanted a new contract.

It seems that the helmet wearing, GM attacking psychosis was in fact a very sneaky move to achieve his own ends. By calling him mentally ill, people soften their stance on his behavior. What if he is just doing everything possible to make money, including a bad faith effort in Oakland? It’s harder to society to come to terms with a sociopath than a “crazy guy with CTE.”

I don’t think the guy has a real mental illness. All of the shenanigans I’ve seen have been very calculated attempts to get what he wants by throwing a large hissy fit. He has the emotional maturity of an adolescent for sure.

Last edited:
I agree it seems very odd that he would basically fake insanity with the Raiders when so many subsequent events have made it appear the guy is really off his rocker. But I’m just looking at his behavior in Oakland followed by him coming back to sanity, supposedly, with the Patriots. His craziness always seems to stem from him not getting what he wants, like a child. So, I think in Oakland he wanted to get out of town and/or wanted a new contract.

It seems that the helmet wearing, GM attacking psychosis was in fact a very sneaky move to achieve his own ends. By calling him mentally ill, people soften their stance on his behavior. What if he is just doing everything possible to make money, including a bad faith effort in Oakland? It’s harder to society to come to terms with a sociopath than a “crazy guy with CTE.”

I don’t think the guy has a real mental illness. All of the shenanigans I’ve seen have been very calculated attempts to get what he wants by throwing a large hissy fit. He has the emotional maturity of an adolescent for sure.

'Coming back to sanity' for a week doesn't really mean all that much. I may be misremembering, but I'm fairly sure he acted sane for longer than that with the Raiders, it's just it didn't really started getting publicized till he started to go off the rails.

I'm not a psychologist, so I'm just guessing, but I'm pretty sure having the emotional maturity of an adolescent when you're in your 30's IS a sign of a mental illness.

I'm not a psychologist, so I'm just guessing, but I'm pretty sure having the emotional maturity of an adolescent when you're in your 30's IS a sign of a mental illness.
Is it treatable?

Maybe we are just into semantics here and outside of our expertise, but I think the key here is that he is deploying conscious decisions to act like a d-bag until people relent and give him his way, which has worked very well in his bubble with enablers and yes people for so long. He seems to have an excellent grasp of what’s happening around him and a subsequent strategy to get his way. This guy is very consciously conning people out of money through sophisticated money grab schemes. I have little doubt he is using the mental illness defense as an excuse for his behavior, which is despicable but shows no signs of mental deterioration, just very poor coping skills.

Maybe we are just into semantics here and outside of our expertise, but I think the key here is that he is deploying conscious decisions to act like a d-bag until people relent and give him his way, which has worked very well in his bubble with enablers and yes people for so long. He seems to have an excellent grasp of what’s happening around him and a subsequent strategy to get his way. This guy is very consciously conning people out of money through sophisticated money grab schemes. I have little doubt he is using the mental illness defense as an excuse for his behavior, which is despicable but shows no signs of mental deterioration, just very poor coping skills.
What you described falls under "sociopath".

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes