PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and they don't want it to get worse.
They are delusional if they think anyone is buying their BS. I don't think there is a fan base that doesn't despise Goodell and the league in general. They are lucky they have a modern gladiator show that attracts the masses. The lack of consistency in applying the rules, crappy officiating, biased enforcement of rule breaking, hypocrisy in their owners, consistent lying makes the entire "Shield" brand a fiasco.

Train wrecks like AB that are elite players do in fact attract fans because they are mostly rubber neckers anyway.

I think you know why the NFL is not publicly clearing him of any wrongdoing, Kontra. You are making the argument why he should play and that is fine.
I’m just trying to rack my brain and come up with a reason why any team would time a work out right now if they knew he was just going to end up suspended should they sign him. The only thing I can think of is that the team must not think that will happen. Working him out now with an eye toward next year does not compute logically since they could just do that in the offseason without the distracting press as they march into the postseason. Brown has already effectively served a suspension. That time off was a suspension in every effective way but name only. This looks like the Saints would expect the NFL to wrap up its “investigation” quickly and for Brown to be available to them this season.

I’m just trying to rack my brain and come up with a reason why any team would time a work out right now if they knew he was just going to end up suspended should they sign him. The only thing I can think of is that the team must not think that will happen. Working him out now with an eye toward next year does not compute logically since they could just do that in the offseason without the distracting press as they march into the postseason. Brown has already effectively served a suspension. That time off was a suspension in every effective way but name only. This looks like the Saints would expect the NFL to wrap up its “investigation” quickly and for Brown to be available to them this season.
One of the main reasons is because the team is not on the hook for anything, and the money comes from the playoff pool. If he’s placed on the CE list, the Saints wouldn’t be affected financially. They probably feel as though it’s worth a chance.

Or, they want to see how much he may have lost having been out of football for the last three months.

Sign him Saturday and play him on Sunday. Exempt list on Monday.

Just because a player is a rock star on the field but has too much volatility and bad press off it, doesn't mean he should be playing and associated with the brand.
Oh yeah because the Patriots, who have been accused of cheating at least a dozen times, had multiple of these scandals, whose owner was soliciting prostitutes, whose star TE murdered multiple people, whose head coach has a notoriously bad relationship with the press have such a public reputation to protect!

How could we deal with the media bashing if AB returned???

source.gif

One of the main reasons is because the team is not on the hook for anything, and the money comes from the playoff pool. If he’s placed on the CE list, the Saints wouldn’t be affected financially. They probably feel as though it’s worth a chance.

Or, they want to see how much he may have lost having been out of football for the last three months.

Yep, it's the proration thing I've been harping all season about. It'll never be cheaper than right now to sign AB.

I’m just trying to rack my brain and come up with a reason why any team would time a work out right now if they knew he was just going to end up suspended should they sign him. The only thing I can think of is that the team must not think that will happen.

Could be. I'm not advocating a particular hypothesis as to why the Saints are trying him out. Could be they have in fact heard from the league and they've stated hes in the clear or the investigation will be wrapped up by the playoffs. Perhaps the league hasn't tipped their hand and the Saints are acting on their own volition. Could be as simple as Loomis/Payton are doing Rosenhaus a solid.

Working him out now with an eye toward next year does not compute logically since they could just do that in the offseason without the distracting press as they march into the postseason. Brown has already effectively served a suspension. That time off was a suspension in every effective way but name only. This looks like the Saints would expect the NFL to wrap up its “investigation” quickly and for Brown to be available to them this season.

It could be they want to "buy low" before the frozen orange juice crop report comes back OK

Lol...seriously, what if the Pats made the Super Bowl and signed him the day before the game?

Oh yeah because the Patriots, who have been accused of cheating at least a dozen times, had multiple of these scandals, whose owner was soliciting prostitutes, whose star TE murdered multiple people, whose head coach has a notoriously bad relationship with the press have such a public reputation to protect!

How could we deal with the media bashing if AB returned???
All irrelevant to ABs situation.

Troll post, BTW.

IMO the Saints are looking at him in case other playoff teams show interest. Some other team, one that Goodell doesn't hate, could pick him up and he might not be so quick to suspend. But if the Saints signed him, Goodell would almost certainly suspend within minutes out of spite. That is the nature of the Saints relationship with Goodell.

I don't want him anywhere near the Saints but if doing this this keeps him off the Packers, 49ers, etc. I'm all for it.

So will the Saints getting screwed last year play into any of this???

But if the Saints signed him, Goodell would almost certainly suspend within minutes out of spite.
As crazy as that sounds, there is probably some truth to that. The NFL needs to completely clean out the NY offices.

As I said earlier - It's all smoke and mirrors.... He ain't playing anywhere anytime soon.

So will the Saints getting screwed last year play into any of this???
An interesting point to ponder. Also remember that some folks felt Goodell did the Patriots a favor by letting Josh Gordon back aboard this last time.

Could be. I'm not advocating a particular hypothesis as to why the Saints are trying him out. Could be they have in fact heard from the league and they've stated hes in the clear or the investigation will be wrapped up by the playoffs. Perhaps the league hasn't tipped their hand and the Saints are acting on their own volition. Could be as simple as Loomis/Payton are doing Rosenhaus a solid.

It could be they want to "buy low" before the frozen orange juice crop report comes back OK
Spoken like a true day trader. ! :D

As I said earlier - It's all smoke and mirrors.... He ain't playing anywhere anytime soon.

Maybe. But a coach isn’t going to comment in detail on a player he hasn’t signed yet. That’s the general rule in most situations. So that statement doesn’t do much to prove anything. At least there were no oxymorons in that statement. Thank God for that.

I’m just trying to rack my brain and come up with a reason why any team would time a work out right now if they knew he was just going to end up suspended should they sign him. The only thing I can think of is that the team must not think that will happen.

You want one possible reason ?

Same as when the Pats worked out AP a few years back. Doing a favor to the agent.

You want one possible reason ?

Same as when the Pats worked out AP a few years back. Doing a favor to the agent.
I don’t think they’d be working out Harris too if that’s all there was to it. You have to also factor in the need.

Saints performed "due diligence" working out AB, but won't sign him.

Nevermind, late on the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots