PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andrew Luck Retires from NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's Curtis Painter doing these days? Maybe they'll bring him back to tank another season for next years #1.

Not sure if Lawrence is even available until the following season. He was a red shirt freshman. They’d have to settle for Tua.
Sorry I meant the year after that! My bad!

Luck’s biggest problem was who he had protecting him for the first 6 years of his nfl career. If he had the line he currently had, he’d be a lot better off. He was an exceptional talent but the colts didn’t build correctly around him and protect their prize asset in luck and it’s led him to make this choice.

Luck’s biggest problem was who he had protecting him for the first 6 years of his nfl career. If he had the line he currently had, he’d be a lot better off. He was an exceptional talent but the colts didn’t build correctly around him and protect their prize asset in luck and it’s led him to make this choice.

Not so sure about that. Young players seem to hold onto the ball a lot longer than veterans. Sure, the oline can be blamed for some of it, but to not get rid of it quicker is on him. That short delay in release is one of the fine detail reasons that separates great and good qbs. Not saying your wrong, they probably weren’t that good, but the qb and oline go hand and hand

He was sacked less than Brady last season and his sack totals since coming into the league seven years ago are similar to Brady's. That doesn't include playoff runs, where Brady's been sacked 27 times since then and Luck 11.

Lucks been sacked 174 times since 2012, Brady 197, Russell Wilson 299..:eek:

I don't think it's as much of Oline problem as it is maybe bad luck, injury prone or whatever. Some guys can just take a beating and others can't for one reason or another.

Good kid, I wish him well and screw the colts.

Definitely, I think the biggest issue with Luck is he exposes (exposed now, I guess) himself to huge hits. For as much as Wilson gets sacked (his career sack rate is 8%, it's ridiculous), he's pretty good at not taking huge shots. Same with Brady, as we've all observed over his career he's great at not taking massive hits when it's not absolutely necessary. As much as some fans complain that he 'gives himself up' or whatever, it's a huge part of why he's still playing and Luck isn't. Every time I watched Luck play, I cringed watching him hold the ball too long and take massive hits he just didn't need to take. There's no shame in going to the ground rather than absorbing a huge hit trying to extend the play. Maybe being 240 pounds gave him an ill-fated sense of invincibility?

Perhaps Luck could have benefited from some TB12 method, idk.

What's Curtis Painter doing these days? Maybe they'll bring him back to tank another season for next years #1.
Funny thing is the rest of the team is good enough that I expect the Colts will have a semi-respectable win total (5-7) with Brissett, so I don't think they'll be in the running for Tua or whoever ends up being #1. If they let Brissett walk this offseason and go into next season with a JAG, though, they're definitely tanking for Lawrence.

If Luck had learned to protect himself like Brady has he would have avoided most of those injuries even with bad OLs. Consistently trying to truck opponent DEs is a recipe for disaster.

Part of the beauty of the TB12 method, according to Tom, is that even if he gets hit is not in as much pain as he used to be. Of course, o-line protection is key as well. But every QB is going to get hit sooner or later...TB can just absorb those hits better at this point in his career.

Funny thing is the rest of the team is good enough that I expect the Colts will have a semi-respectable win total (6-8) with Brissett, so I don't think they'll be in the running for Tua or whoever ends up being #1. If they let Brissett walk this offseason and go into next season with a JAG, though, they're definitely tanking for Lawrence.
Agreed, Ballard has done a vg job turning that **** ship around considering what he had to work w. Their fans deserve a neverending cycle of 7-9/8-8.

Fwiw regarding the next few QB classes
2020 is loaded w underclassmen they could conceivably wait another year & make 2021 truly something.

I think it's possible besides Tua. He should have the #'s & show enough improvements on film (behind that team) to go top 5-10 easy.

At some point last year Luck has gone some ungodly stretch of games without getting touched, thanks to a bolstered OL and short passing game focus installed by Reich.

I think he was always coachable to be safer, but that the coach and GM he had for most of his career did him no favors.

He was sacked less than Brady last season and his sack totals since coming into the league seven years ago are similar to Brady's. That doesn't include playoff runs, where Brady's been sacked 27 times since then and Luck 11.

Lucks been sacked 174 times since 2012, Brady 197, Russell Wilson 299..:eek:

I don't think it's as much of Oline problem as it is maybe bad luck, injury prone or whatever. Some guys can just take a beating and others can't for one reason or another.

Good kid, I wish him well and screw the colts.
T'hank you for these stats, I have not verified them, but the narrative is so one sided, it is probably because he is a nice guy. He said it himself that he likes to get hit to get his sea legs under him every game so he goes and initiate the hits himself if his game is not going well. Russell Wilson should be broken then and mentally psyched out of his skull then if we are going by poor offensive line. His style of play also contributed to this but that is not being discussed in the aftermath of his retirement.

Gronk, Calvin.

Its just sports. These guys were around 30 but their bodies were turning 50-60. That's not soft. Not a bust. Actually 3 really tough dudes. Very tough.

In an alternate universe where Brady left and Luck was drafted here I honestly think he could’ve won at least one super bowl here. I just think that organization did such a poor job of getting him any help. Terrible O-line, TY Hilton has been his own real weapon and no running game. I’m sure part of the mental fatigue was carrying the team on his back year in year out.

Most people seem downright shocked that he would do this. But honestly though it was a surprise I quickly kind of understood why he was doing it. All those injuries, it has to be draining. We’re not talking about a perfectly healthy 29 y/o with no real injury history. Don’t blame him.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHA, the colts...........F*** YOU..........that being said I have nothing against luck as a person or player. I actually kinda like the guy and even tho I hate the colts I'm not overly happy about this news if I'm being honest. I mean, it's not like luck was keeping us from going to any superbowls lol. I wish nothing but the best for him. He seems like a decent person...... Also, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes