PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And The Talk About Wynn Continues

How is this confusing?

The large majority of players in the last year of their contract don’t show up to OTA’s.

Why all the handwringing?
Wynn :poop::poop::poop::poop: aside, I just realized that I’ve gone 36 years of my life not knowing what handwringing was.

Wynn :poop::poop::poop::poop: aside, I just realized that I’ve gone 36 years of my life not knowing what handwringing was.
Tom missing OTA’s wasn’t a problem despite his effect on the entire offense… but Wynn whose job doesn’t change year to year is going to be an issue?

He’s playing for a contract, nobody is more motivated to do well than Wynn.

Trade him. Recouping 75% of his cap space is a Wynn.

If it's true that the O will run more outside zone blocking schemes, I would think having the starting OL present, regardless of non contact, would be important; especially given there are 2 new starters. I'll defer to you however, given your experience.
What's interesting about the different types of personnel they have with kind of lightning and thunder sides to the OL is that you can't run zone blocking on the left side and power blocking on the right, I'm not quite sure how that would work out in reality, but it's the first thing that came to mind after reading your post and sounded intriguing

He’s playing for a contract, nobody is more motivated to do well than Wynn.
and there you have it. How this year goes for Wynn WILL determine how the rest of his NFL career goes. If it goes well he's looking a long term very lucrative contract with the Pats or some other team looking for a starting LT. If it goes badly then he'll just be another low end jag looking for a back-up job for another team. So YES, Wynn really REALLY want to have a great year.

and there you have it. How this year goes for Wynn WILL determine how the rest of his NFL career goes. If it goes well he's looking a long term very lucrative contract with the Pats or some other team looking for a starting LT. If it goes badly then he'll just be another low end jag looking for a back-up job for another team. So YES, Wynn really REALLY want to have a great year.
All he really has to do is stay healthy and play like he has just about his entire Patriot career. Somebody, probably not the Pats, will give him a decent contract that utilizes a health contingency... a snap based incentive deal. Somebody may even trade for him at the end of camp if they suffer injuries along the O-Line the Pats stay healthy.

People here are acting like Wynn hasn't played well in the past, he has... injuries have been his bugaboo. Either way this wasn't my point... players without a contract rarely attend OTA's, it's one of their only leverage moves in a league that greatly favors ownership. There should be zero shock that Wynn is not attending... hell Kyler Murray has two years left on his rookie contract, thinks he's vastly underpaid and he's not attending. Deebo Samuel doesn't have a contract and he's not attending... this is commonplace.

...and Wynn has yet to prove he is consistent at that.
He has been fine when he plays, he played 16 games last year.
We have no one capable to replace him.

I think they could get by with Brown at LT, Herron at RT and using Onwenu as the swing man assuming things go south.

They're deep at the OC/C position, there's some flexibility there assuming everyone exits preseason healthy.

I think they could get by with Brown at LT, Herron at RT and using Onwenu as the swing man assuming things go south.

They're deep at the OC/C position, there's some flexibility there assuming everyone exits preseason healthy.
Herron is not a viable starter. We saw that last year.
What depth? A rookie will start and there isn’t a single backup with quality nfl experience.

He was very mediocre last year - even inconsistent.

Obviously they would need a replacement.

Herron is not a viable starter. We saw that last year.
What depth? A rookie will start and there isn’t a single backup with quality nfl experience.
Herron has filled in well as a spot starter. He wasn't very good at the beginning of last season... but then neither were Thuney, Mason or Onwenu. The OLine was a mess at the start of last season... I'd put a fair amount of that on coaching. Also we have zero clue how Yodney Cajuste has progressed. A small sample size isn't always a definitive result... especially with young players.

I was screaming for them to take an OT with the first pick in the draft a month ago, so I get your hesitation... but there are very few perfect teams.

Please write 10 time on the blackboard.

The coaching staff of the patriots considers Onwenu a guard.
Onwenu is not an OT.
==========
OK, he is OK as an emergency OT if there are 2 game day injuries. However, I expect us to have 4 OT's on the 53, not including Onwenu.

He has to be out of his mind if Wynn is skipping OTA's because he wants a new deal. And his latest cryptic tweet is indicating something may be up.

Imagine going to your boss and asking for a raise after you've been unreliable in 3 of the 4 years you've been with the organization (IR). In addition, his play when on the field has been mediocre including that two to three game stretch last season where he was getting trucked by D-lineman. That was really bad. His Agent should win a Nobel Peace Prize if he lands a multi year extension for Wynn before the season starts.

If he pulls a stunt and tries holding out, I hope Bill pulls the trigger and trades him. Brown should be the starting LT anyways.

Herron has filled in well as a spot starter. He wasn't very good at the beginning of last season... but then neither were Thuney, Mason or Onwenu. The OLine was a mess at the start of last season... I'd put a fair amount of that on coaching. Also we have zero clue how Yodney Cajuste has progressed. A small sample size isn't always a definitive result... especially with young players.

I was screaming for them to take an OT with the first pick in the draft a month ago, so I get your hesitation... but there are very few perfect teams.
Herron has played poorly as often as he had played barely acceptably. That’s not a starting RT.
You don’t dump a solid starter when everyone else you have at the position is a below average backup.

The OL was a mess because Brown was out and we were worse than terrible at RT.

You didn’t answer about who you think is good depth.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back