PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And The Talk About Wynn Continues

You didn’t answer about who you think is good depth.
I would also like to see the answer to this.

I expect to see at least two additions to compete with our "good depth".
It is hard to believe that we cannot find upgrades for at least a couple of the four backup positions.

Brown is in upgrade over an inconsistent Wynn and it's a lot easier to find a solid RT than a solid LT.
Where?
You are creating a hole that does t need to be created.
I’m sure Mac will feel good that it’s easier to find RTs than LTs while his RT is getting him killed.
Your plan leaves us with a LT who has mostly been a RT, a C, a RG who couldn’t beat out Ted karras and a bunch of rookies and no bodies.
We need to add OL not subtract.

We have backup OTs who are closer to out of the league than starters.
We currently have a weakness as backup OT and you want to make the weak backup a league worst level starter. Why?

Brown has played 25 of 49 games the last 3 years

Do you want Herron and Cajuste as your bookends when he gets hurt again?

Where?
I’m sure Mac will feel good that it’s easier to find RTs than LTs while his RT is getting him killed.
Your plan leaves us with a LT who has mostly been a RT, a C, a RG who couldn’t beat out Ted karras and a bunch of rookies and no bodies.

We currently have a weakness as backup OT and you want to make the weak backup a league worst level starter. Why?

I don't think that anyone is suggesting get rid of Wynn and not signing or trading for a RT. Personally, I would have drafted an OT instead of Thorton. We need to develop at least one OT for 2023.

I do agree with you that Wynn-Brown is much better than Brown-Herron or Brown-Cajuste.

I suspect that it would cost a draft pick to trade away Wynn and to trade for a starting RT.

FWIW, I agree with you. I would go with what we have.

Where?

I'd argue LT is already a hole.

You think Wynn is a functional LT and will be fine in 2022.

I don't.

Well, in retrospect it turns out that drafting Wynn over Calvin Ridley was a huge bullet dodged. So that’s something.
Well certainly it would seem so given the way his career has recently turned, but maybe with a more professional organization like the Pats things would have turned out differently.

Saban at Alabama definitely does not tolerate or turn a blind eye to trouble makers the way that someone like Urben Meyer did. However, I think it is almost the opposite problem, everything is planned out and every minute regimented at Alabama that several Alabama players have ended up acting like the kid that goes starts doing dumb things and goes wild when he leaves the strict parent's household. That happened to Ridley with Atlanta, Henry Ruggs with Las Vegas, McClain with the Raiders and Cowboys, etc., in each case they went from a highly structured environment at Alabama to a loosy-goosy organization like the Raiders or Cowboys.

In contrast, for the ex-Alabama players that come to the Pats under BB, it must seem just like Alabama except arguably with inferior on-facilities food ;) $15M AL Dining Facilities

I'd argue LT is already a hole.

You think Wynn is a functional LT and will be fine in 2022.

I don't.
Well he has been since he got here and he is a heck of a lot better than the backups.
Wynn is at worst an average starting LT.
The backups we have are at best a serviceable backup you hope doesn’t need to play.

I think it's too risky to move on from Wynn this year... If you want to move him out, who would be a viable replacement? Name names not just trade or sign a starting lt or rt...

Trent Brown is better, but he isn't reliable for 17+ games... I like that this year's deal has weight clauses and/or incentives... But realistically we need to consider that he will go down for a stretch during the season...

Wynn is the best option at the moment.... Maybe a vet rt will get kicked loose during camp cuts but for right now the line is better with him than without him...

Wynn wasn't in camp, so the OT's needed to changed.

It would have been so, so easy to have Herron replace Wynn and leave Brown at RT. Of course, Belichick played with the media (as always) by moving Brown to LT and having Herron play RT.
Honestly Wynn should feel some heat right about now. He didn't participate in OTAs. He has been injury prone and pretty much underwhelming as a 1st round pick and this is the final year on his contract. He hasn't been comparable to Matt Light or Nate Solder, not even close to that level.

On TOP of that the Patriots would save over 9.6m dollars by getting him off their roster. Knowing how cutthroat BB the GM is, would anyone be surprised if the Patriots trade Wynn for a mid round draft pick if ANYBODY else looked competent at LT during training camp?

For me that would be the LEAST surprising move of all. I mean look at recent history, BB dumped pro bowl guard Shaq Mason for a 5th round pick and then used a 1st round pick to replace him. The main motivation was money and clearing cap space. I don't see why Wynn would be any different. It's not like Wynn is the Chosen One, he's pretty much a JAG at LT.

Last edited:
Honestly Wynn should feel some heat right about now. He didn't participate in OTAs. He has been injury prone and pretty much underwhelming as a 1st round pick and this is the final year on his contract. He hasn't been comparable to Matt Light or Nate Solder, not even close to that level.

On TOP of that the Patriots would save over 9.6m dollars by getting him off their roster. Knowing how cutthroat BB the GM is, would anyone be surprised if the Patriots trade Wynn for a mid round draft pick if ANYBODY else looked competent at LT during training camp?

For me that would be the LEAST surprising move of all. I mean look at recent history, BB dumped pro bowl guard Shaq Mason for a 5th round pick and then used a 1st round pick to replace him. The main motivation was money and clearing cap space. I don't see why Wynn would be any different. It's not like Wynn is the Chosen One, he's pretty much a JAG at LT.
If shaq is a 5th, then wynn is a conditional 7th. Makes way more sense to keep him, it seems.

Honestly I'd trade Wynn if they think they can rely on Brown to stay healthy at LT. It's a really big cap savings and they'd get a draft pick too. Yes, you then have to backfill RT but like I said on the first page, I feel that they're going to pass more often this year so Brown at LT and a lesser player like Herron at RT makes some sense... plus I could see value in a stalwart like Brown lining up next to the rookie Strange. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned about Wynn and a rookie playing next to each other on the left side and both not knowing WTF to do on a given play. Generally Wynn was fine, but there were times last year where he looked dazed and confused.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back