PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And The Talk About Wynn Continues

Bedard/Curran think unless Wynn is out for a personal reason, it’s time to trade him. They don’t think he’s worth the headache.

Its hard to blame an often injured OT for not showing up for voluntary OTA's. I suspect he wants to preserve himself and come to training camp in one piece.
That being said...he has been such a huge disappointment. I had high hopes for him when he was drafted that he would be an all pro level LT.
I would be fine with Pats trading him now, saving 10 million off the cap and getting an extra draft pick.

He is not going to make the difference between being a bottom half of the league team and being a serious AFC contender.

Bedard/Curran think unless Wynn is out for a personal reason, it’s time to trade him. They don’t think he’s worth the headache.
What headache?
I’d be more concerned about the headaches Mac Jones will get with a crappy OT (2 when brown gets injured) than done made up issue with Wynn.

Honestly Wynn should feel some heat right about now. He didn't participate in OTAs. He has been injury prone and pretty much underwhelming as a 1st round pick and this is the final year on his contract. He hasn't been comparable to Matt Light or Nate Solder, not even close to that level.

On TOP of that the Patriots would save over 9.6m dollars by getting him off their roster. Knowing how cutthroat BB the GM is, would anyone be surprised if the Patriots trade Wynn for a mid round draft pick if ANYBODY else looked competent at LT during training camp?

For me that would be the LEAST surprising move of all. I mean look at recent history, BB dumped pro bowl guard Shaq Mason for a 5th round pick and then used a 1st round pick to replace him. The main motivation was money and clearing cap space. I don't see why Wynn would be any different. It's not like Wynn is the Chosen One, he's pretty much a JAG at LT.
He traded Mason and replaced him with Onwenu.
He drafted Strange to shore up the hole at LG, not to replace Mason.

Mason is not a pro bowl G.

i think way too much is being made of an oft-injured OL not showing up for VOLUNTARY otas

Being Wynn's last year at redemption , it's better to have him perform and earn the big contract next year than trade him for a 5th rounder who mostly ends up being a worse JAG than Wynn . We need to protect Mac's blindsided and can't trust Brown's health too much. Wynn Is also
Not that durable , but at least the odds are better when we have both brown and Wynn.

Let's root for Wynn to have an all pro season this year and be the highest paid LT on another team next year.

What headache?
I’d be more concerned about the headaches Mac Jones will get with a crappy OT (2 when brown gets injured) than done made up issue with Wynn.
They said he's been unreliable for the 3 of the 4 years he's been in the league going on IR, has been mediocre overall when on the field, came to camp out of shape after the Pats picked up his 5th year option, struggled through the first half of the 2021 season and finally missing the playoff game.

I'd really like to see a healthy, motivated Wynn playing for the Pats this season. That's my best case scenario, let's see what happens.
This reads to me to like he is asking for more money or a trade behind closed doors.

They said he's been unreliable for the 3 of the 4 years he's been in the league going on IR, has been mediocre overall when on the field, came to camp out of shape after the Pats picked up his 5th year option, struggled through the first half of the 2021 season and finally missing the playoff game.

Well when you put it like that................

The coming to camp out of shape part is most worrisome to me. That was last year, when he skipped OTAs like he’s doing this year. Makes me concerned about his ability to condition on his own, and whether he will sow up out of shape this year too.

Players get injured. You don’t get rid of a player because you are afraid he will get injured and you are stuck with the backup so you can make the backup the starter.
All the rest is just you giving an unsupported opinion that the patriots disagree with.

The coming to camp out of shape part is most worrisome to me. That was last year, when he skipped OTAs like he’s doing this year. Makes me concerned about his ability to condition on his own, and whether he will sow up out of shape this year too.
Except he just made that up so your bar for worrisome information should be raised

This reads to me to like he is asking for more money or a trade behind closed doors.
What reads like that?
He is a player on a guaranteed 5th year option skipping OPTIONAL workouts.
He is essentially a guy playing in a tag with a free agent contract in the offing. Protecting himself against injury is a valid reason.

Players get injured. You don’t get rid of a player because you are afraid he will get injured and you are stuck with the backup so you can make the backup the starter.
All the rest is just you giving an unsupported opinion that the patriots disagree with.
Players are more likely to get injured when they’re not in shape. Conversely, a properly conditioned player will be more resilient against injuries. So there could be some reasons for concern.

I’d like to think otherwise, and definitely hope none of this comes true. But we have to be realistic.

you dont trade Wynn unless you can get something really good for him... like a 2nd rounder or better, which is unlikely

He's more valuable as a starting quality OL that is prone to injury for the 2022 season than a 2023 5th rounder is

Except he just made that up so your bar for worrisome information should be raised
Nice try. 15:49 is when they talk about Isiah.

Players are more likely to get injured when they’re not in shape. Conversely, a properly conditioned player will be more resilient against injuries. So there could be some reasons for concern.

I’d like to think otherwise, and definitely hope none of this comes true. But we have to be realistic.
Do you really think that attending OTA is the difference between being in shape or not in shape for a professional athlete?

Yes we have to be realistic and assuming a player skipping OTAs is going to therefore be out of shape and get injured is far from realistic.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back