PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola facing yet another pay cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Danny took a pay cut to reduce his salary 2 years in a row but a dramatic drop this last season.. I think his salary was like 1.2 mil this year? So this 6 million dollar salary isn't guaranteed so its clearly just numbers that don't mean ****. Danny will probably play for 1.2-2 million this season.

Unless he can get more which I doubt he can. At least not significant enough for him to deal with moving all of his possessions and family/gf.

Danny much like Welker and Edelman receivers are so important for Brady's strengths as a QB. Not all QB's have the ability to use these small shifty receivers like Brady can. Brady can do it all but his short to medium bullet accurate passes are the best the league has to offer. And this is getting off topic but somehow he has changed his mechanics for his touch passes to get even better.

I know Brady didn't have a lot of deep threat talents that can run passed the secondary and catch a deep over the top touch pass from Brady. But with that said Brady has gotten better. He can literally do it all now at elite levels.

To me it seems for years he wasn't a great deep ball thrower... but was it him or his receivers? When he had Moss and Stallworth he threw bombs all season long and looked like a god at times.

But you gotta think if Bill thought Brady was great throwing deep balls consistently they would have eventually landed some big play guys. 1 Edelman 1 Moss type and 1 Gronk..

Last edited:
What level can DA be expected to play at/contribute in 2017? What will it cost to retain that contribution (including dead money if cut)? Who is the alternative, what can be their expected level of contribution in 2017, what do they cost (is it a cap dollar v production upgrade)?

That's how the Patriots do it. It can be icy cold but it's one of the reasons the Patriots maintain a high level of competitiveness.

DA will be 32 this year and he's been through his share of impact-ful injuries. Unless another team is willing to pay significantly more I'd be surprised if he doesn't stay with significantly lower base but a number of incentives.

I will be stunned if Amendola is not in a Patriots' uniform next year. The only way he is not is if the Pats feel someone like Lucien is ready to play for a team looking to go to the SB. Money is not going to be the issue.

1.75 million for one year with incentives (i.e. 30+ receptions, 300 yards, 13 games played, etc - - i.e. things he didn't hit last year).

Love the guy, but it's a salary cap era. Anything north of the above number is taking space away from keeping Butler/Hightower/Blount/Harmon/Marty/Branch/Floyd, etc. who are bigger priorities (I've already sadly made peace with having to let Logan Ryan go get rich somewhere else). Danny Amendola at 32 is not the player for whom I want the Patriots to be sacrificing other key players at other positions.

The WR position is flush and there is a possible stud waiting in the wings in Floyd/Lucien. We have 2 proven pass catching RB's. THAT was more of the reason why DA only caught 23 passes this year. In one game in 2014, Jonas Gray had as many TDs (4) and almost as many yards rushing (201) as DA had all regular season this year (243). Look, he was tremendously clutch in the SB, but alot of folks are focusing on just that one game. If the Pats LOST the AFCCG, he would be a different story in peoples' eyes. They'd be looking at his year through that moment.

I'd love to keep him, but I hope it's at the Patriots' price that allows them to pursue the higher priorities at less flush positions. Long-term, I hope they keep Floyd more than Amendola......just as in 2013, I liked them getting Amendola and letting Welker walk.

So what. (See, I can respond to posts just as flippantly as you! ;)) Just because he played for that last year doesn't mean he should get the same or less this year when he's contracted for $6 million-plus AND performed clutch en route to a championship. I believe he's worth more than $1.5 mil. Seems you don't.
I don't see how we is worth more now than he was a year ago. I think the result that came out of being in essentially the exact same position last year (except we are now deeper at the position) is relevant.

I will be stunned if Amendola is not in a Patriots' uniform next year. The only way he is not is if the Pats feel someone like Lucien is ready to play for a team looking to go to the SB. Money is not going to be the issue.

JE11, Mitchell, Hogan and Floyd gives them 4 high quality WRs.

I don't think Lucian's development is the only reason DA is gone.

It's highly possible the team goes with 4WRs, 3TEs and 5 RBs including Develin.

1. Raghu M @MB350
    @patscap I know Pats won't pay up and had meant if any other team wud pay as you felt Danny won't that kind of money as a fee agent...
    4 replies1 retweet7 likes
Raghu M‏@MB350

@patscap Cud get from a team like Jaguars or Browns if Jimmy goes there

profile_image

patscap
At best Amendola would be the 3rd wideout on both teams. No current #3 wideout is making more than 1M. Raghu M on Twitter
Posted: 9:16am - Feb 20, 2017

JE11, Mitchell, Hogan and Floyd gives them 4 high quality WRs.

I don't think Lucian's development is the only reason DA is gone.

It's highly possible the team goes with 4WRs, 3TEs and 5 RBs including Develin.

I agree that if DA is not here, it is the Pats doing and not Amendola's. But I am far from convinced they are going to keep Floyd and cut Amendola - Floyd is younger and has upside but has major off the field issues and not clear he will mesh with the Pats' passing game. Pats really love their empty set formations. Now you can set a RB out wide, but to be able to run 4 WR sets - you really need 5 WRs in case of injury. Plus Amendola returns punts - an iffy proposition for the Pats now beyond JE. Amendola's days in NE are coming to an end, but I think he is here next year.

I agree that if DA is not here, it is the Pats doing and not Amendola's. But I am far from convinced they are going to keep Floyd and cut Amendola - Floyd is younger and has upside but has major off the field issues and not clear he will mesh with the Pats' passing game.

At a minimum hes on the books for 2017 for ~$1.4m. The question is can the team/DA work out a deal. I'm assuming they can.

We have no idea what they are thinking re: Floyd or if he has the ability to play in this offense at the level Tom and JMD require. For argument's sake, I'm assuming he does and they will have him back on a low-risk, high-upside deal.

I really think he can add a nice dimension to this offense.

Keep in mind JE and DA are getting up there in age so having a WR with 4+ prime years left is pretty important.

I can easily see JE transitioning into the role DA has now in a couple of years. That might be part of the planning.

Pats really love their empty set formations. Now you can set a RB out wide, but to be able to run 4 WR sets - you really need 5 WRs in case of injury. Plus Amendola returns punts - an iffy proposition for the Pats now beyond JE. Amendola's days in NE are coming to an end, but I think he is here next year.

I dont think I've ever seen JMD run a 5-wide w/ 5 WRs. As you say its always a RB or TE in the mix. With that said your point of having 5WRs on the roster is valid.

Because of the uncertainty in the return game and his ability to clearly play at a high level is more than enough justification to have him part of the WR grouping.

With all that said, I agree. I think it's highly likely hes back but by no means is it a lock.

1. DA has never been the same explosive receiver since his groin injury he got in is first game here. He's also never been durable, which isn't surprising given his complete lack of fear and his reletively frail body.
I could swear I heard one of the talking heads say that the accumulation of these injuries are making DA consider retirement. That seems to be at odds with his recent comments about wanting to stay a Patriot, so perhaps those comments were off-base?

He has earned his money, I don't like that they ask him to take pay cuts year after year just because his contract was a bit overpaid.

I hope they just manipulate the money to get some refresh now and pay him down the road.

Last edited:
He has earned his money, I don't like that they ask him to take pay cuts year after year just because his contract was a bit overpaid.

I hope they just manipulate the money to get some refresh and paying him down the road.
i agree, not unless you start calling his number and he doesn't return in some way

but at this point he excels every time you ask him to do something, we literally are short a SB if he wasn't on team yesterday...that's not small

How soon we forget. DA is the most reliable receiver the Pats have, you throw it at Danny he makes the catch. He caught two critical TDs in the last 2 SBs plus a bunch of clutch catches.

Pay the man, so what if he's 32? How old is Fitzgerald?

You have Floyd and Mitchell who emerged as a rookie with some big catches in the spotlight along with Jules.

Not worth the 6.3 or whatever it is..but still valuable like everyone is saying

i agree, not unless you start calling his number and he doesn't return in some way

but at this point he excels every time you ask him to do something, we literally are short a SB if he wasn't on team yesterday...that's not small

Exactly, he was huge in the first 4 games without Brady too, a clutch catch on a 3rd down against Arizona and the TD's against Miami. I agree he is not living up to the contract during the regular season but it's a complicated situation because as you said he is nothing short of a clutch player when in the spotlight.

I hope they just manipulate the money to get some refresh now and pay him down the road.
I agree with the sentiment, but not the conclusion. No question that Danny is extremely both likeable, dependable (when availablke). and clutch. However, at age 32 and 3--4 other guys ALREADY ahead of him at WR (depending on Floyd's return), there is no way the Pats can justify having him on the team with a $6MM cap charge.

So I take umbrage with the media's narrative that "poor Danny Amendola is being asked to take another pay cut." That is a distortion of the reality of the situation. The narratvie wants you feel like Danny is being screwed by the Pats, and continues the storyline that that the Pats are cheap and have no loyalty to their players.

In my opinion, Danny's CONTRIBUTION to the team is well worth the $1.2-1.5MM the team will ask him to take, but no more. Danny has real value as a depth player who can back up Edelman, and as an receiver in spread formations. He also adds depth to the return game. But that being said, if they let him go next season, it will like be because they would view keeping him would hinder the development of some younger WR prospect.

I like the little things Amendola does such as blocking but I have been a big critic of his for years now. I thought the original contract he signed was too much and who knows what he could've gotten elsewhere but it feels like he is only getting half of what he signed on for. It is actually sad. It's good for us but his agent failed him in not securing more guaranteed money. He should look into whoever represented Jamarcus Russel lol.

Not sure if anyone posted it but guardi said danny is willing to take a paycut to stay with the pats.

I think he knows he wont get much on the open market and loves it here

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back