Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Link: Patriots will ask Danny Amendola to take a pay cut

This makes sense on paper, but I hope they're fair with him. Amendola is incredibly clutch and has established himself as a valuable role player coming off the bench. Assuming Floyd hangs on and produces, this returning WR corps would represent needed continuity and could end up being Brady's best unit ever.

Link: Patriots will ask Danny Amendola to take a pay cut

This makes sense on paper, but I hope they're fair with him. Amendola is incredibly clutch and has established himself as a valuable role player coming off the bench. Assuming Floyd hangs on and produces, this returning WR corps would represent needed continuity and could end up being Brady's best unit ever.

A receiving group of Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Floyd and Amendola is in my eyes the best and deepest group in the NFL...

And that's not even including Gronkowski. I hope they keep all players.

He has made some of the biggest catches on the biggest stage.

589a5b57827aef5556000001.jpeg

Just realized aside from the 2 pt conversion, td, and multiple key catches on the last 2 td drives, he also caught that 4th and 3 shortly after atl went up 28-3. Without that, game most likely over. Gotta find a way to keep this guy.

He also keeps je off punt return duty - anyhow id say da has been a better returner last 2 years.

If they are fair with him he will be back, he clearly loves being on this team, he's taken huge pay cuts, and he gives absolutely everything he has. Amendola has been a critical piece of their last two Lombardi's, I really hope they don't try to squeeze every dime out of him.

I think they'll be fair and it will work out... Danny knows he is not as good as he used to be but still has a lot of value here. Can't imagine him getting paid more than $3m a year anywhere else - and then he'd have to go there and learn their system with no certainties he will make their roster. He's nearly a lock here. I think it would be nice if they could get him signed for this year and next year at around $2-3m per year. He has absolutely incredible hands, he's very clutch, knows the system like the back of his hand, has chemistry with Brady, keeps JE off of punt return duty much of the time, and can be a replacement for JE to a degree in a pinch.

Link: Patriots will ask Danny Amendola to take a pay cut

What is fair? I would say 1.5 mill

Was clearly on a snap count the whole season until the SB. Not sure if it was the ankle. I have liked the guy from the beginning, but hard seeing him get more than 1.5 million a year.

As good as he is, I'm done with him. I just can't get passed the carport.

1.5 seems fair for a #4 receiver/returner (sometimes). He is clutch as hell but 23 catches is still 23 catches. I don't see him making much more than that on the open market. Plus the Brady Bromance is strong. That article isn't saying anything that has been discussed here a million times.

What is fair? I would say 1.5 mill

With Mitchell emerging, I think Dola is going to have a hard time getting reps, he's turning 32 this upcoming season, and his value to the team is probably close to what you wrote.

But considering his salary cap hit is $1,416,668 even if we cut him, I don't think him taking $1.5M would make sense for him.

Let's say he signs for $1.5M, goes into training camp, then gets cut near the end (say he gets beat out by Floyd). At that stage, you've got an older, injury-riddled WR trying to hook onto a team after rosters are more or less set.

If he doesn't renegotiate and gets cut early, he at least has a chance to hook on with a team and go through the entire training camp to increase his odds. So to stay with the Patriots, I think he'd need more than an extra $100K.

He made just under $2.9M last year. If BB wants him back, I could see them offering something like $2.5M, perhaps adding enough guaranteed money to make the whole thing guaranteed. An extra $1M would give Dola some incentive to do it, while giving some very good protection for a very reasonable cost.

I start this by saying I want Danny back.

But the numbers game could be interesting if we also bring back Floyd you already have the position full leaving little/no room for anything else.

Are there any other free agents you'd want. Plus always a good idea to be drafting and cultivating at all positions.

I think it might make some sense to chose 1 of DA or Floyd. And then bring in some youth to round out the depth.

I guess Floyd would know his leash is short so he could be cut in camp if somethings better but with DA obviously nothings a lock there either but there would be a bigger assumption of making the final roster.

Jules, Hogan, and Mitchell are locks. If DA and Floyd are up for competition for the final 2 spots likely with a few other guys then bring them both back. Financially for them and us I'm thinking 1 of the 2 plus a couple low end free agents/mid rd draft picks is probably more likely.

I love DA so I'd choose him over Floyd money aside. Floyd's skill set is intrigueing and I'm OK with him too. There's obvious risk with Floyd but probably means a cheaper price tag too. And then there is the youth if he can put his troubles in the past he has way more long term upside.

Bottom line is this should be interesting to see play out in the next few weeks. And in TC. And this position should be pretty deep almost anyway this plays out.

I'm not convinced re: Floyd. Especially with the upcoming suspension. I think we let him go and get a comp pick for him.

As for DA, I think it helps that his GF is a Rhode Island native and he'll likely to want to stay close to her. What I don't understand is why the Pats can't just completely restructure his contract for a 3 year deal with good guaranteed money in the first year, a decent base salary for year two, and the third year be a "no way you'll see this" structure. I think DA is critical next year. After that, I'd expect his role to lessen and after that he may even just call it quits. But I don't see Devin Lucien supplanting DA in 2017 (I already assume Mitchell will be the #2 WR now and Hogan #3.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back