PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola facing yet another pay cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Mitchell emerging, I think Dola is going to have a hard time getting reps, he's turning 32 this upcoming season, and his value to the team is probably close to what you wrote.

But considering his salary cap hit is $1,416,668 even if we cut him, I don't think him taking $1.5M would make sense for him.

Let's say he signs for $1.5M, goes into training camp, then gets cut near the end (say he gets beat out by Floyd). At that stage, you've got an older, injury-riddled WR trying to hook onto a team after rosters are more or less set.

If he doesn't renegotiate and gets cut early, he at least has a chance to hook on with a team and go through the entire training camp to increase his odds. So to stay with the Patriots, I think he'd need more than an extra $100K.

He made just under $2.9M last year. If BB wants him back, I could see them offering something like $2.5M, perhaps adding enough guaranteed money to make the whole thing guaranteed. An extra $1M would give Dola some incentive to do it, while giving some very good protection for a very reasonable cost.
He actually made 1.5m last year. But they guaranteed it which would address your concerns here.

In case anyone's curious, here's what he said after his first restructure in 2015:

Amendola on contract restructure: 'This is home to me'

"I love playing for this team," he said on Tuesday. "I love playing for these coaches, this organization. I got family out here, this is home to me. I love playing for this team. It's a great experience and I'd like to prolong that for as long as I can. It's been fun."

Jules, Hogan, and Mitchell are locks. If DA and Floyd are up for competition for the final 2 spots likely with a few other guys then bring them both back. Financially for them and us I'm thinking 1 of the 2 plus a couple low end free agents/mid rd draft picks is probably more likely.

I love DA so I'd choose him over Floyd money aside. Floyd's skill set is intrigueing and I'm OK with him too. There's obvious risk with Floyd but probably means a cheaper price tag too. And then there is the youth if he can put his troubles in the past he has way more long term upside.

I'm not convinced re: Floyd. Especially with the upcoming suspension. I think we let him go and get a comp pick for him.
regarding floyd, i think it would make sense for the patriots to re-sign him if he's willing to take a low-money deal. presuming he will get suspended for 2-4 games, he wouldn't count against the roster during those games and his salary would be pro-rated, lessening his cap hit, but he will get the chance to participate in the entire training camp and pre-season.

if there's an injury in the WR corp during the first month, he would fit in instantly as opposed to some free agent off the street who would have to be brought up to speed with the patriots offense. at worst, the patriots would have an extra 2-4 weeks to decide between keeping amendola (or whatever other WRs are on the roster at that point) and floyd.

Last edited:
regarding floyd, i think it would make sense for the patriots to re-sign him if he's willing to take a low-money deal. presuming he will get suspended for 2-4 games, he wouldn't count against the roster during those games and his salary would be pro-rated, lessening his cap hit, but he will get the chance to participate in the entire training camp and pre-season.

if there's an injury in the WR corp during the first month, he would fit in instantly as opposed to some free agent off the street who would have to be brought up to speed with the patriots offense. at worst, the patriots would have an 2-4 weeks to decide between keeping amendola (or whatever other WRs are on the roster at that point) and floyd.
Good point if the price is right.

Everything you say is exactly right, but I'd be flabberghasted if Amendola hit the FA market and had no takers, even if the Pats couldn't fit him on their roster. The guy is clutch cash money and a good chemistry guy. Any team with a young QB should be sniffing the tires if Amendola was available, even if he couldn't play much on the field, he's a guy you want around so that his attitude rubs off on the rest of the offense.

This. Put him on Tennessee last year, for example, giving someone to actually complement Delanie Walker, and they win the division.

He actually made 1.5m last year. But they guaranteed it which would address your concerns here.

Going to address these in reverse order.

I apologize, I forgot who I was responding to. I forgot I need to spell out every little detail. Yes, he actually received only $1.5M last year, though his total compensation was $3M based on how it was accounted for. But technically sure, $1.5M in compensation in the season (I wrote calendar year, but I'm sure there'd be the inevitable response that several weeks of the season were in 2017...).

The cap hit is sunk money. It has nothing to do with the 2017 salary.
Based on your logic a higher salary would make him more likely to be cut at the final cutdown based upon staying under the cap.

Based on your earlier response, you clearly get the distinction between cap hit and salary. So your proposal seems really strange to me. It's basically play the new season for less than $100K. Does that seem realistic?

The cap hit is sunk money, but it does affect the 2017 salary because it was paid (and accounted for) as part of this upcoming season. So in any potential renegotiation, the Patriots will feel they've already paid part of that compensation (because they have).

If the Patriots think he's worth $3M, and they've already paid him $1.4M, and can convince him to sign for $1.6M, that's a win. But if they think he's a $3M player, and Dola wants $3M more, they're not going to do it.

As for the second part of that post, I've read it a few times and I think you've skipped a few steps. Yes, having a higher cost than what you proposed would make it more likely he'd be cut. But you're overlooking 2 things:

1. he will not be on the team at your proposed $1.5M (unrealistic for player), and
2. he will not be on the team with his current $7,791,668 salary cap hit (unrealistic for team)

So you're comparing the proposed $2.5M against your $1.5M figure, saying it's higher and so it increases the odds of him being cut. But that's a totally unrealistic number and Dola is not going to do it.

An option with some new money, but not ridiculously unrealistic money, would be the most viable way for Dola and the Patriots to continue the relationship.

Link: Patriots will ask Danny Amendola to take a pay cut

This makes sense on paper, but I hope they're fair with him. Amendola is incredibly clutch and has established himself as a valuable role player coming off the bench. Assuming Floyd hangs on and produces, this returning WR corps would represent needed continuity and could end up being Brady's best unit ever.

+1. Where alse is he going to go for more money than what the Pats should be whittling him down to? I t's a win-win situation. Danny made his money and then some on the original contract and the first whittle down. The Pats get to keep an experineced and trusted #5 receiver at a (now) decent cap hit). And Devin Lucien is waiting in the wings from our PS - - he's not chopped liver.

There really is no reason to draft anyone this year for WR unless something crazy happened and a beast drops to the Pats. It's a great situation.

Won the superbowl 2 weeks ago and people already coming down on each other.

With Mitchell emerging, I think Dola is going to have a hard time getting reps, he's turning 32 this upcoming season, and his value to the team is probably close to what you wrote.

But considering his salary cap hit is $1,416,668 even if we cut him, I don't think him taking $1.5M would make sense for him.

Let's say he signs for $1.5M, goes into training camp, then gets cut near the end (say he gets beat out by Floyd). At that stage, you've got an older, injury-riddled WR trying to hook onto a team after rosters are more or less set.

If he doesn't renegotiate and gets cut early, he at least has a chance to hook on with a team and go through the entire training camp to increase his odds. So to stay with the Patriots, I think he'd need more than an extra $100K.

He made just under $2.9M last year. If BB wants him back, I could see them offering something like $2.5M, perhaps adding enough guaranteed money to make the whole thing guaranteed. An extra $1M would give Dola some incentive to do it, while giving some very good protection for a very reasonable cost.

$2.5 million (with "enough guaranteed") for Amendola??????

That's great........ from Amendola's point of view. But how is $2.5 million with "enough guaranteed money" good from the Patriots point of view?

IMHO, the Patriots are in the driver's seat in this negotiation, not Danny. And it is not immoral at all. Danny has already made far more than his value the past 4 years (let's face it, the only season he actually produced to his contract level was 2015).

I like him as much as anyone else here, but let's not cry for his pocketbook. $1.75 million with incentives is more than enough.

Last edited:
Going to address these in reverse order.

I apologize, I forgot who I was responding to. I forgot I need to spell out every little detail. Yes, he actually received only $1.5M last year, though his total compensation was $3M based on how it was accounted for. But technically sure, $1.5M in compensation in the season (I wrote calendar year, but I'm sure there'd be the inevitable response that several weeks of the season were in 2017...).

Based on your earlier response, you clearly get the distinction between cap hit and salary. So your proposal seems really strange to me. It's basically play the new season for less than $100K. Does that seem realistic?

The cap hit is sunk money, but it does affect the 2017 salary because it was paid (and accounted for) as part of this upcoming season. So in any potential renegotiation, the Patriots will feel they've already paid part of that compensation (because they have).

If the Patriots think he's worth $3M, and they've already paid him $1.4M, and can convince him to sign for $1.6M, that's a win. But if they think he's a $3M player, and Dola wants $3M more, they're not going to do it.

As for the second part of that post, I've read it a few times and I think you've skipped a few steps. Yes, having a higher cost than what you proposed would make it more likely he'd be cut. But you're overlooking 2 things:

1. he will not be on the team at your proposed $1.5M (unrealistic for player), and
2. he will not be on the team with his current $7,791,668 salary cap hit (unrealistic for team)

So you're comparing the proposed $2.5M against your $1.5M figure, saying it's higher and so it increases the odds of him being cut. But that's a totally unrealistic number and Dola is not going to do it.

An option with some new money, but not ridiculously unrealistic money, would be the most viable way for Dola and the Patriots to continue the relationship.
He played last year for 1.5 mill and his cap hit included another 1.4 amortized signing bonus for a cap hit of 2.9 mill

I am suggesting they pay him the same thing this year. 1.5 mill with a2.9 cap hit.
Are you suggesting they increase it to 3 mill with a 4.4 cap hit?

No idea where you are getting "extra 100k" from. Whether his amortized bonus was 1.4 mill, 14mill or nothing is totally irrelevant.

How is paying him the same thing next year that he was paid this year unrealistic and unacceptable to the player? It's what he aceepted 11 months ago.

Must be noted. Yea he's not durable, but for a guy that's 5'10 he has some of the best hands I ever seen.

Along with Gronk, best hands on the team. And that's saying something. Gronk is 6'6 with micky mouse hands. Lol
Not attacking you, but is there a correlation between height and hands? Are you talking about the size or the ability to catch the ball? And Tom Brady talks about how big Gronk's hands are in addition to his catch radius, so I don't know why you say he has "Micky Mouse" hands.

He played last year for 1.5 mill and his cap hit included another 1.4 amortized signing bonus for a cap hit of 2.9 mill

I am suggesting they pay him the same thing this year. 1.5 mill with a2.9 cap hit.
Are you suggesting they increase it to 3 mill with a 4.4 cap hit?

No idea where you are getting "extra 100k" from. Whether his amortized bonus was 1.4 mill, 14mill or nothing is totally irrelevant.

How is paying him the same thing next year that he was paid this year unrealistic and unacceptable to the player? It's what he aceepted 11 months ago.

Never mind. I was thinking salary cap total, you were talking base salary, we're talking about the same offer more or less, $1M vs. $1.5M in new money.

That's great from Amendola's point of view. But how is $2.5 million with "enough guaranteed money" good from the Patriots point of view?

IMHO, the Patriots are in the driver's seat in this negotiation, not Danny. And it is not immoral at all. Danny already received far more than his value the past 4 years (let's face it, the only season he actually palyed to his contract was 2015).

I like him as much as anyone else here, but let's not cry for his pocketbook.

I don't think $2.5M to $3M cap hit ($1M-$1.5M in new money) is unrealistic for a vet who could potentially be a #3 or #4 WR on your team. If Floyd is re-signed, he could drop to 5th, but he has Brady's trust, a ton of experience in big games, and would be quality depth for a very affordable price.

You could afford to do it because a) Edelman is so underpaid, and b) Chris Hogan's contract was front-loaded to make it difficult to match for the Bills, and actually his cap hit drops from $5.5M last season to under $3M this season.

Edit: clarifying cap hit vs. salary since that's caused confusion already...

Not attacking you, but is there a correlation between height and hands? Are you talking about the size or the ability to catch the ball? And Tom Brady talks about how big Gronk's hands are in addition to his catch radius, so I don't know why you say he has "Micky Mouse" hands.

Mickey Mouse means oversized - his hands are huge.

i'm pretty sure "mickey mouse" hands means "big". like:

gronk-catch.jpg

vnn8vym.png

Last edited:
This. Put him on Tennessee last year, for example, giving someone to actually complement Delanie Walker, and they win the division.

I doubt this. Amendola does not have the durability to be a WR2 - he really is best in a situation where he can be a lethal WR4. At age 31, teams know this.

Never mind. I was thinking salary cap total, you were talking base salary, we're talking about the same offer more or less, $1M vs. $1.5M in new money.

I don't think $2.5M to $3M cap hit ($1M-$1.5M in new money) is unrealistic for a vet who could potentially be a #3 or #4 WR on your team. If Floyd is re-signed, he could drop to 5th, but he has Brady's trust, a ton of experience in big games, and would be quality depth for a very affordable price.

You could afford to do it because a) Edelman is so underpaid, and b) Chris Hogan's contract was front-loaded to make it difficult to match for the Bills, and actually his cap hit drops from $5.5M last season to under $3M this season.

Edit: clarifying cap hit vs. salary since that's caused confusion already...

CP, that line of reasoning is great if WR was the ONLY position on the football team. And there is no way he will be the #3 WR (if he is, that means we are in trouble with injuries).

We have other puzzle pieces to worry about (Hightower,Butler, Branch, Ryan, Harmon, Marty, etc.). DA is simply not that high on the overall priority list.

If $1.75 million with incentives is not good enough for him, I just don't see him as high a priority than several others to be using precious cap space. Devin Lucien now knows the system and can come in as the #5.

Last edited:

Just talking about catch radius. Obviously a bigger guy like Gronk has a bigger catch radius then guys like Edelman and Amendola.

And Mickey Mouse hands are hugeeee just like Gronks. That's all. Nothing negative.

Last year amendola made 1.25 mill plus a 250k roster bonus.
3 mill would double his pay.
I read the article wrong, he's supposed to make $6 million and change this year, which he won't get. But I think he's worth more than $1.5 mil.

Gotcha. I obviously didn't get the analogy.:oops:
i'm pretty sure "mickey mouse" hands means "big". like:

gronk-catch.jpg

vnn8vym.png

Just talking about catch radius. Obviously a bigger guy like Gronk has a bigger catch radius then guys like Edelman and Amendola.

And Mickey Mouse hands are hugeeee just like Gronks. That's all. Nothing negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes