PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola facing yet another pay cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a pivotal piece of this team...I am talking in SBs. He has taken his beatings around here in the past. Not like JE11 but man oh man I would love to see this guy back...for so many obvious reasons...

Amendola gets 2.5M or so. He will take it and be happy to be on a winner. If he wins another Superbowl here and again makes key plays to do it no one will care what he did in the regular season. He is already well liked in this area as is. If he makes plays in the playoffs to help them win a 3rd in 4 years that be insane.

Any money he leaves on the table will be made back easily in local endorsements and talk shows and just support from the community. We tend to take very good care of our sports stars here as long as you give it all you got, makes key plays and key moments and are a team first guy.

Amendola checks all those boxes.

$2.5 million (with "enough guaranteed") for Amendola??????

That's great........ from Amendola's point of view. But how is $2.5 million with "enough guaranteed money" good from the Patriots point of view?

IMHO, the Patriots are in the driver's seat in this negotiation, not Danny. And it is not immoral at all. Danny has already made far more than his value the past 4 years (let's face it, the only season he actually produced to his contract level was 2015).

I like him as much as anyone else here, but let's not cry for his pocketbook. $1.75 million with incentives is more than enough.

He earned everything he made in 14 and 16 no question in my mind. Just coming up big in the playoffs is enough to justify that money with a little here and there in the regular season.

He earned everything he made in 14 and 16 no question in my mind. Just coming up big in the playoffs is enough to justify that money with a little here and there in the regular season.

He earned it in '15 too - even though we did not win.

CP, that line of reasoning is great if WR was the ONLY position on the football team. And there is no way he will be the #3 WR (if he is, that means we are in trouble with injuries).

We have other puzzle pieces to worry about (Hightower,Butler, Branch, Ryan, Harmon, Marty, etc.). DA is simply not that high on the overall priority list.

If $1.75 million with incentives is not good enough for him, I just don't see him as high a priority than several others to be using precious cap space. Devin Lucien now knows the system and can come in as the #5.

To be clear, are you saying he should re-negotiate so his salary is $1.75M, or his salary cap charge is $1.75M?

In the first scenario, I agree, in the second, I don't think he'll play for $450K this year when he could potentially make more elsewhere and get playing time.

Dola's re-negotiation in 2014 included offset language, but I don't see any notes about it this year.

I'm at the point now where it actually annoys me that Amendola is the guy who has to take cuts. He's earned every penny and then some. That said, as others rightfully point out, we'll have to see about cap hit and guaranteed money.

Amendola = Mr. Clutch!!!!!! Really hope he comes back

To be clear, are you saying he should re-negotiate so his salary is $1.75M, or his salary cap charge is $1.75M?

In the first scenario, I agree, in the second, I don't think he'll play for $450K this year when he could potentially make more elsewhere and get playing time.

Dola's re-negotiation in 2014 included offset language, but I don't see any notes about it this year.

The first.

Your earlier recommendation of $2.5 million though is not workable.

The first.

Your earlier recommendation of $2.5 million though is not workable.

Earlier recommendation was $2.5M total cap hit, including the $1.4M from the signing bonus. I meant $1M in new money.

And apologies to @Andy Johnson, I thought he had misread it but seems others are confused. I should probably get more sleep.

Dola is on the books for $1.4M already so another $1M guaranteed would bring him up to around $2.5M on the books, $1M in new money, slightly less than last year's $1.4M in new money and $2.9M salary charge. So I'm actually proposing less than what you are in terms of new money.

Some comments on the comments:

1. DA has never been the same explosive receiver since his groin injury he got in is first game here. He's also never been durable, which isn't surprising given his complete lack of fear and his reletively frail body.

2. What he HAS been is a very tough, clutch receiver to made the most of his limited targets over the years. It seemed that most of his 23 receptions were tds or moved the chains in key situations, and I can't remember a single drop.

3. All that being said, given what he said after he signed last season, he's going to stay here for about what they gave him this season. Let's not forget that $1.5MM is more than most people make in a LIFETIME, and he's unlikely to make that much if he doesn't play. He loves it here and no other team is likely to even offer that much more for an "injury prone, tiny, 30+ year old WR", regardless of his clutchness.

4. He DOES have a significant role here than easily makes that small investment worthwhile. He not only adds depth to the operation, he can back up Edelman both as a slot WR, and adds depth to the kicking game.

5. So in the end, I see it as a sure thing that the Pats and DA work out something that gets him back in camp come July at a very cap friendly result, and both sides being very happy.

Earlier recommendation was $2.5M total cap hit, including the $1.4M from the signing bonus. I meant $1M in new money.

And apologies to @Andy Johnson, I thought he had misread it but seems others are confused. I should probably get more sleep.

Dola is on the books for $1.4M already so another $1M guaranteed would bring him up to around $2.5M on the books, $1M in new money, slightly less than last year's $1.4M in new money and $2.9M salary charge. So I'm actually proposing less than what you are in terms of new money.

CP, here is word for word your earlier post:

".....He made just under $2.9M last year. If BB wants him back, I could see them offering something like $2.5M, perhaps adding enough guaranteed money to make the whole thing guaranteed. An extra $1M would give Dola some incentive to do it, while giving some very good protection for a very reasonable cost."

My confusion there is that nowhere do I see you saying "Offering him a CAP HIT of $2.5 million". You wrote about offering Danny Amendola $2.5 million.

I read the article wrong, he's supposed to make $6 million and change this year, which he won't get. But I think he's worth more than $1.5 mil.
He played for 1.5 last year

CP, here is word for word your earlier post:

".....He made just under $2.9M last year. If BB wants him back, I could see them offering something like $2.5M, perhaps adding enough guaranteed money to make the whole thing guaranteed. An extra $1M would give Dola some incentive to do it, while giving some very good protection for a very reasonable cost."

My confusion there is that nowhere do I see you saying "Offering him a CAP HIT of $2.5 million". You wrote about offering Danny Amendola $2.5 million.

Yeah, I understand, that's why I said I had been unclear. I've already conceded that I was unclear, not sure why you're bringing it up again, unless you're just nagging me like my wife :p

To be clear, he didn't make $2.9M last year, he had a $2.9M cap hit. He has $1.4M cap hit this year, so the extra $1M would bring it up to $2.5M.

Yeah, I understand, that's why I said I had been unclear. I've already conceded that I was unclear, not sure why you're bringing it up again, unless you're just nagging me like my wife :p

Dude, nothing personal. I have been multitasking, so it's very likely I didn't see your correction.

You
asked me a question and I gave you the courtesy of an answer.

Dude, nothing personal. I have been multitasking, so it's very likely I didn't see your correction.

You
asked me a question and I gave you the courtesy of an answer.

I didn't take it personally, just saying there's no need to nag. I heard you the first ten times, I'll take out the freaking garbage :p ;)

Man. He is one of the most clutch players in the NFL. As long as it hits his hands, he isn't dropping the pass. I wasn't a fan because of his speed but he has made too many vital catches. If I was in charge, I'll be tempted to leave his pay as is.

He played for 1.5 last year
So what. (See, I can respond to posts just as flippantly as you! ;)) Just because he played for that last year doesn't mean he should get the same or less this year when he's contracted for $6 million-plus AND performed clutch en route to a championship. I believe he's worth more than $1.5 mil. Seems you don't.

I have nothing but love for DA he's a guy who lays his body on the line and enjoys being on a winner. He also a proven playoffs performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft