PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amateur Time at Gillette in 2024

Compared to last year MHJ would certainly make the offense look incrementally better. Drafting MHJ is a decision that should be made based on the other players available at that draft position without considering who the QB is going to be. Mac could be a stop gap while looking for the QB of the future. Even if Mac returns to his rookie form, he has proven that he is not the stone eyed killer needed at QB to compete for the super bowl. Too many of the close losses last year were situations where Mac's mistakes at crucial moments snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
There were also late game drops on good passes by receivers that contributed.

No it doesn’t. Not with Mac Jones at QB.

you are not drafting MHJ to catch ball 3 yds behind the line of scrimmage which is basically the only thing Mac can do consistently. In fact, having MHJ will increase INTs for Mac Jones not TD
Even if Corky Mac is not back, the Pats still need marquee WRs. Look for a 180 degree difference from the way that BB built an offense.

Look at big Jerry and CD Lamb? Playoffs.

These old broken down WRs ain't cutting the mustard. Little Jerry may as well pile his money up in his Brookline, MA fireplace and set a match to it. Young WRs on rookie deals is like having a coupon in hand. Win - win.

There were also late game drops on good passes by receivers that contributed.
True, it was not all on Mac. He would definitely look better with other players around him. He has also given enough evidence for me to believe that he is not the QB of the future.

Eh, seems you might have overstated things a bit. Yes, a lot of us are pretty spoiled but those who've been around a while realize and appreciate how good things have been the last two decades. As a 30-year Pats season ticket holder I feel privileged and grateful, knowing how bad to mediocre things are in most pro sports cities. Sports talk radio has a disproportionate influence since their job is stirring controversy and stoking negativity to get people riled up/involved/paying attention. Boston-area sports fans really have few legitimate gripes.
Pretty much exactly what I told the guy.

Look on the bright side, you can start researching potential top players in the 2025 draft no
BPA every round for 2 years. This is a rebuild. Not a reload. Then, I’ll worry about QB.

BPA every round for 2 years. This is a rebuild. Not a reload. Then, I’ll worry about QB.
Trade back and add picks in the '24 and '25 drafts. With good selections they could get better in a hurry.

Even if Corky Mac is not back, the Pats still need marquee WRs. Look for a 180 degree difference from the way that BB built an offense.

Look at big Jerry and CD Lamb? Playoffs.

These old broken down WRs ain't cutting the mustard. Little Jerry may as well pile his money up in his Brookline, MA fireplace and set a match to it. Young WRs on rookie deals is like having a coupon in hand. Win - win.
Can you stop calling him Mac? I think some dude with Downs Syndrome was named Mac 30-40 years ago.

One of the best things I did was to stop listening to sports talk radio, as all they do is spike and create controversy. At one point they were informative, but that has passed in favor of made up BS.. The breaking point for me was when Bertram was discussing the Brady/Gisele split was due to her wanting to be in Miami instead of Tampa, as the market for her services there better(how the f.. do you know that?). Another reason I left was because every time Bertram started some BS about a rumor he heard or a nontroversy he started which was obviously incorrect, Zolak (who knows more about the Pats than most) would either leave the booth or go silent.
Now I prefer some good old rock and roll from Pandora..
Have you tried sports on SIRIUS/XM? Especially NFL radio.

Bedard just intimated that the feeling at the Sr Bowl amongst NFL player personnel and management types is that the Pats are an unorganized rudderless ship

Bedard just intimated that the feeling at the Sr Bowl amongst NFL player personnel and management types is that the Pats are an unorganized rudderless ship

He also suggested that some of the people interviewed have since said they're not interested. Not good to hear. Apparently the pressure is ramping up and if an OC isn't set by next week, it's a big problem. They need to know what KIND of offensive system they're running to guide where the QB search goes and who else to target for offensive assistants.

At this point I think they should consider going back to McDaniels if he's interested. He has institutional knowledge and experience developing young quarterbacks.

Last edited:
Can you stop calling him Mac? I think some dude with Downs Syndrome was named Mac 30-40 years ago.
Probably Mayor of Boston.

He also suggested that some of the people interviewed have since said they're not interested. Not good to hear. Apparently the pressure is ramping up and if an OC isn't set by next week, it's a big problem. They need to know what KIND of offensive system they're running to guide where the QB search goes and who else to target for offensive assistants.

At this point I think they should consider going back to McDaniels if he's interested. He has institutional knowledge and experience developing young quarterbacks.
Agreed. Can’t just take whatever rando actually accepts the job. Stakes are way too high.

Agreed. Can’t just take whatever rando actually accepts the job. Stakes are way too high.

It's popular here for people to crap on thoughts of a third McDaniels stint, but in this situation he could be a stabilizing influence at multiple levels. He's a smart, experienced OC with institutional knowledge and has a solid track record developing young QBs. And his system is malleable, he's demonstrated that. "Young and new" at the coordinator level isn't always better.

Last edited:
Interesting to see everyone that called Bedard a scumbag now believing everything he spews is godspell. Lol

I listened and yes it did not sound encouraging at all. I lay this chaos at the feet of Kraft. They haven’t even technically moved on from guys who we expected were gone. He just got rid of Bill, a few coaches fled and the rest are in limbo. Feels like he just threw it all at Mayo, Wolfe and Groh, none of whom have previously held either the position of HC or GM and said “figure it out”.

If things are really as dire as it sounds like they should probably be talking to McDaniels and by that I mean Kraft should be talking to McDaniels directly.

Interesting to see everyone that called Bedard a scumbag now believing everything he spews is godspell. Lol
I don’t think Bedard is throwing **** against the wall. And his reporting is backed up by what we’ve heard from others.

One of Bedard’s sources is clearly anti-Mayo so it’s possible that the situation is being portrayed in a more dramatic light as if it’s a train wreck.

I listened and yes it did not sound encouraging at all. I lay this chaos at the feet of Kraft. They haven’t even technically moved on from guys who we expected were gone. He just got rid of Bill, a few coaches fled and the rest are in limbo. Feels like he just threw it all at Mayo, Wolfe and Groh, none of whom have previously held either the position of HC or GM and said “figure it out”.

If things are really as dire as it sounds like they should probably be talking to McDaniels and by that I mean Kraft should be talking to McDaniels directly.
I don’t think Bedard is throwing **** against the wall. And his reporting is backed up by what we’ve heard from others.

One of Bedard’s sources is clearly anti-Mayo so it’s possible that the situation is being portrayed in a more dramatic light as if it’s a train wreck.

What gave you the impression an "anti-Mayo" source has Bedard's ear? Bedard has seemed pretty objective about all this so far, IMO. You've got to figure the road will be plenty bumpy with the front office so unsettled and a rookie head coach possessing little leagewide experience. That's why someone like McDaniels could be a stabilizing influence, I'd assume he has a rolodex full of offensive assistant prospects.

I'm pulling for Mayo and willing to ride with this thing, but the likes of Vrabel would have hit the ground running and been further ahead immediately. I fear you're right, re. Kraft tossing these guys a set of keys and telling them to figure it out. I mean, apparently Groh and Wolfe have been advising Mayo who to interview for OC. Seems they're flying by the seat of their pants with the clock ticking.

Last edited:
Vegas 2024 Super Bowl odds have Pats at 31st - 150 to 1 - just above Carolina.32nd.

Bedard has absolutely taken an anti-Mayo position. I assume the Pats are flushing out the remaining rats in the building. What a ****ed up situation Bill left. He was 100% the #1 problem. Good riddance.

Compared to last year MHJ would certainly make the offense look incrementally better. Drafting MHJ is a decision that should be made based on the other players available at that draft position without considering who the QB is going to be. Mac could be a stop gap while looking for the QB of the future. Even if Mac returns to his rookie form, he has proven that he is not the stone eyed killer needed at QB to compete for the super bowl. Too many of the close losses last year were situations where Mac's mistakes at crucial moments snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Where does this QB of the future materialize? They are rare and hard to find. Top of the draft is the best place to find one. Yes, kind of a crap shoot, but elsewhere is even more of a crap shoot.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back