PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amateur Time at Gillette in 2024

McDaniels is not a bad option at all...but if you're him and getting paid $10M of Al Davis's $ to sit on your ass, why would you want to reinsert yourself into the burgeoning circus that is One Patriot Place....

Apparently in order to collect from a previous employer, fired ex-coaches like McDaniels must demonstrate seeking jobs elsewhere in good faith.

Apparently in order to collect from a previous employer, fired ex-coaches like McDaniels must demonstrate seeking jobs elsewhere in good faith.
And, JMD is a football junkie, I mean he's been doing it for over 20 years as well.
He hasn't succeeded anywhere but Foxboro, so why wouldn't he want to be involved somehow?
And I think a very experienced (and very good) playcaller and schemer could help Mayo and the new OC as an advisor. Why not?

So where does this QB come from in 3 years?
I’d trade a 2 for Fields. He’s just as good as Daniels. If not, draft one when he’s got a chance to succeed. I don’t think Daniels can succeed with current talent around him and who at OC?

I don’t think you realize how bad we are.

And, JMD is a football junkie, I mean he's been doing it for over 20 years as well.
He hasn't succeeded anywhere but Foxboro, so why wouldn't he want to be involved somehow?
And I think a very experienced (and very good) playcaller and schemer could help Mayo and the new OC as an advisor. Why not?

Yup. He could be quarterbacks coach/special offensive assistant, etc. Someone with his experience would be the perfect complement to a young OC without having to do a ton of heavy lifting.

Most of what Bedard has reported on Mayo's head coaching potential has been very positive. Whether Jerod was PREPARED at this very early stage of his coaching career to assume control of a program, especially with a front office in flux, is legitimately open to question. That's what we're seeing.

The "rubbing people the wrong way" flap had a gossipy feel to it, yet the context of Kraft anointing Jerod heir apparent lent it credibility along with Mayo's admission of a possible blindspot. None of that means Bedard or imaginary "rats" at 1 Patriot Place have an axe to grind. This silly notion of "BB loyalists" still employed by the team out to sabotage Mayo at the very real risk of losing their jobs makes no sense. If anything, all involved have a stake in seeing him succeed.

The process is very early with the bottom line that Mayo deserves benefit of a doubt for months to come. But out of the gate things are looking rocky, probably as expected.

Do you have a source for this?
I’m not saying Bedard is wrong in his skepticism but I disagree with the statement that it’s all imaginary that there would people who have something of an axe to grind. There must be some degree of bitterness down at Gillette over how the whole thing went down or about Mayo himself.

Of course it makes sense, that’s human nature to have some bitterness or jealousy. I think it’s a silly notion to believe that everyone down there is cool and wanting to see Mayo succeed.

Especially not with the abundance of leaks to different reporters including Wickersham.

The special teams coordinator they just hired has only 2 years experience in NFL as an assistant STC.
The Patriots will have the least experienced coaches in the NFL by far.
It's fine for the long term. However can not expect miracles in next 2 years. Experience matters.

I’m not saying Bedard is wrong in his skepticism but I disagree with the statement that it’s all imaginary that there would people who have something of an axe to grind. There must be some degree of bitterness down at Gillette over how the whole thing went down or about Mayo himself.

Of course it makes sense, that’s human nature to have some bitterness or jealousy. I think it’s a silly notion to believe that everyone down there is cool and wanting to see Mayo succeed.

Especially not with the abundance of leaks to different reporters including Wickersham.
Tunes is either a very naive person or he has an agenda.

If you saw the picture of him wearing a turtleneck w/ a parrott on his shoulder, you'd understand. Lol

The special teams coordinator they just hired has only 2 years experience in NFL as an assistant STC.
The Patriots will have the least experienced coaches in the NFL by far.
It's fine for the long term. However can not expect miracles in next 2 years. Experience matters.
Are you complaining?

Are you complaining?
not really. In order to build up talent they need another bad season next year and a top 10 draft pick. So its fine.
Just surprised by the degree to which they are willing to go with completely green staff.
Almost feels like they have already decided to punt on 2024 (which is OK)

I would bet that most USFL teams have more coaching experience than the Pats will have in 2024.
Has potential to blow up spectacularly

Last edited:
His HS coach called him 'Sunshine.'
His ALA coach called him 'McEnroe.'
His ALA teammates called him 'The Joker.'
Cam called him 'Mac n Cheese.'

I recommend Pats FO start looking into players nicknames more seriously in the future. They say a lot about how a person is perceived by others. All of those nicknames are telling, and not a good story of a future leader of men.
Parker is known as Carter
JuJu is Easy Money
Boutte is known as Parlay
TyQuan is Promiseland
Chad Ryland is Hooker

McDaniels is not a bad option at all...but if you're him and getting paid $10M of Al Davis's $ to sit on your ass, why would you want to reinsert yourself into the burgeoning circus that is One Patriot Place....
Because it's not just about money. If Josh still wants to coach, this is the place for him to be. His family is here, right? He has a great relationship with the Krafts, or did, at least.
I don't think the Pats want continuity on offense, hence all the McVay/Shanahan tree interviews, but Josh certainly would be a stabilizing force if the situation is as muddled as Bedard makes it out to be.

Re: Bedard...I was never a fan, but he's been right more than wrong of late. Credit where credit is due.

Over/under should be around 4 wins for 2024, and I'd take the under in a hummingbird's heartbeat.
Way too early to know what this team will look like in 2024. Lots of cap space (2nd most in the AFC), great position in every round in the draft, a solid defense to build on. Clearly, we're going to see a lot of veteran acquisitions to go with the draft on offense.

There are lots of sellers out there who are over the cap right now - The Bills and Dolphins are over the cap and the Jets only have $4.9M in cap space. Add in the Chargers, Packers, 49ers, Saints, Browns, Steelers, Cowboys, and Broncos. Lots of veterans are going to be shed by those teams that the Pats can pick over in the coming weeks.

The Patriots have over $60 million in cap space and only $7.9M in dead cap money, so they're not hamstrung the way they were in 2021.

Enjoy the next few months.

I’d trade a 2 for Fields. He’s just as good as Daniels. If not, draft one when he’s got a chance to succeed. I don’t think Daniels can succeed with current talent around him and who at OC?

I don’t think you realize how bad we are.
Trade for Fields and he's a one-year rental unless you pick up his 5th year option (in the Spring of THIS year) for around $22,000,000, fully guaranteed.

He's 10-28 as a starter. our #2 pick is what 34?

Absolutely NOT.

Tunes is either a very naive person or he has an agenda.

If you saw the picture of him wearing a turtleneck w/ a parrott on his shoulder, you'd understand. Lol

Yeah, I'll leave the naive agenda mongering to your odd obsessions. It figures someone off a ski trip wearing a turtleneck wouldn't compute for a Floridian. Try using your imagination, like you do so well here.

You linked Bedard's reporting with the idea of disgruntled Belichick loyalists in Foxboro dishing dirt on Mayo. For what he reported specifically, that's a stretch IMO -- especially since it happened before BB was fired.

Perhaps there are folks whose paychecks are signed by RKK out to disparage Jerod off the record. If true that's pretty risky behavior when their livelihoods depend at least in part on how the Patriots fare.

I'm about to shave off my goatee. Just wanted to be sure you'd recognize me when I return. I know it's important to you, and I want to stay attuned to your needs as your travel your life's journey. (Just practicing sounding like a "nice guy." Any good? I am considering also investing in a man purse, maybe even Sunrise Taupe Miata, the Michael Bubble model with the vanity mirrors.)

They have the cap room to spend and say they are ready to spend... but will they... that's my concern. We'll see. I hope my concern is unfounded.

I think they will spend. I think they'll re-sign Jennings, Onwenu, Bourne, Bryant, Wilson, Dugger. We could also see a Barmore Extension. I expect money to be spent on CB, FS, TE, RB. No. I don't expect a FA WR to be signed unless they're convinced that QB or OT is the way they're going in the 1st regardless of MHJ.

I also expect Jackson to be released after the start of the new season. Lawrence Guy is rumored to be on his way out as well.

I expect Phillips to be designated as a Post June 1st Cut.

Smith Schuster and Parker are likely going to be cuts prior to Camp, though one could be designated as a post Just 1st Cut. A lot on JJSS is going to depend on his injury..

Last edited:
Way too early to know what this team will look like in 2024. Lots of cap space (2nd most in the AFC), great position in every round in the draft, a solid defense to build on. Clearly, we're going to see a lot of veteran acquisitions to go with the draft on offense.

There are lots of sellers out there who are over the cap right now - The Bills and Dolphins are over the cap and the Jets only have $4.9M in cap space. Add in the Chargers, Packers, 49ers, Saints, Browns, Steelers, Cowboys, and Broncos. Lots of veterans are going to be shed by those teams that the Pats can pick over in the coming weeks.

The Patriots have over $60 million in cap space and only $7.9M in dead cap money, so they're not hamstrung the way they were in 2021.

Enjoy the next few months.

There are already numerous GOOD FAs at CB and FS available. If MAYO is true to his word, I would expect at least 1 CB to be brought in to replace Jackson when he's cut. Someone like Jaylon Johnson or L'Jarius Sneed or Keisean Nixon or Adoree' Jackson. I've mentioned several FS and TE the Pats could be interested in..

The Pats could also spend some money by Extending Stevenson while also bringing in someone like Barkley. What a 1-2 punch that would be if Elliott were to move on. D'Andre Swift would be a steal and he's only 25.

There are already numerous GOOD FAs at CB and FS available. If MAYO is true to his word, I would expect at least 1 CB to be brought in to replace Jackson when he's cut. Someone like Jaylon Johnson or L'Jarius Sneed or Keisean Nixon or Adoree' Jackson. I've mentioned several FS and TE the Pats could be interested in..

The Pats could also spend some money by Extending Stevenson while also bringing in someone like Barkley. What a 1-2 punch that would be if Elliott were to move on. D'Andre Swift would be a steal and he's only 25.
I wonder if we could play Mondre and Barkley together. With Barkley lining up as a wingback. And, used kinda like Deebo.

Sneed would be great too. A couple of elite pass rushers too. Allen and Burns. Would be a tough call. CB or Edge. Judo. Is entolast year of deal.

Mayo just got hired and this Beddard guy is already disparaging him? Way too early for that. I'm hoping for the best. It's a tough job following in the footsteps of BB. Give the guy some time.

Mayo just got hired and this Beddard guy is already disparaging him? Way too early for that. I'm hoping for the best. It's a tough job following in the footsteps of BB. Give the guy some time.
@Tunescribe believes Beddard and thinks he's doing a bang up job with no agenda. Bless him.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back