PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All quiet on Hightower front or Dont'a-do-it FA tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he'd rather take a little more to play with the jets, then do we really want him here? One way he retires with 40m, the other with 50m. Marginal utility of money is low that high up.

Pats are his home and he's,won 2 rings and been close other years. People take less to come here, or they should.

The Jets may have offered more money but it would be a dumb decision to go there unless it's 100% guaranteed which doesn't exist.

With the Patriots he will probably be in the ring business during all the duration of the contract so he will be paid, with the Jets they're gonna dump him after 2 seasons once they see they are again headed to a wonderful 5-11 record. Well the Pats history of asking players to take pay cuts doesn't exactly help but anyway he will be relevant, no one is relevant in a 5-11 team.

Really hope he returns, he's the key to their defense imo. Belichick really played hardball with him, it's time to sweeten it a little and get it done, just as they did with McCourty.

....or, he could take days negotiating with other teams. ;)

Could be Andy, but history has shown that for the top guys, and evidentently that is how Hightower is being perceived, deals usually happen fast. I cannot beleive that Tenn, for example, don't have something in writing right now that would fit in a Miguel offer chart, as well as other teams.

I'm just guessing here, but I see Hightower as one of those guys who isn't going to be playing off one team against the other back an forth. I think it will be give me you best offer, then give BB a chance to match or come close enough for him to stay.

The keys aren't going to be the final amount of the total money, but more like what are the guarrantees, how real are they, when do the get paid, incentives, etc In other words the REAL money.

Call it a gut feeling, but I think we are going to wake up tomorrow and know where Donta Hightower is going to be playing next season. "OR he could take a couple of days to negotiated with other teams." ;)
Guess you were wrong on this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Hightower is a key member of our defense. That said, WE JUST WON A SUPER BOWL WITHOUT ROB GRONKOWSKI, JAMIE COLLINS, AND CHANDLER JONES, all thought to be essential "can't afford to lose" pieces to contending, especially Gronkowski, who when healthy is the best non-QB in the NFL and is probably worth a $20M contract when healthy.

We won the SB in 2004 without Ty Law and Roosevelt Colvin, two elite defenders. Many consider that team to be top-3 all-time.

We were by far the best team in football in 2015 after letting our entire highly-ranked cornerback trio walk away, before we were RACKED by injuries, and we still may have pulled it off without an epic coaching meltdown on the o-line in our house of horrors.

In 2010 we moved on from Richard Seymour AND Randy Moss and went 14-2.

We beat a playoff team 27-0 with Jacoby Brissett starting a QB!

I like Hightower, but there is no way this team is doomed without him!

The defense struggled in 2015 when HT went down and wasn't the same even when he came back with a lingering injury. He is the defensive captain and the glue on that side of the ball. Unlike collins and jones, HT has brains. And it takes a special player on our defense to wear the green dot and do it well. Unless you replace HT with someone equivalent or better like a von miller, it leaves a huge hole. People here think zack brown can replace him? Lol.

Last edited:
Let's just sum up quickly before we archive this uncanny thread full of anguish, drama and, well, pure boredom .. about a football player visiting some football clubs:

While the Jets were cooking and the Steelers ultimating .. BB was building a historically great team that every player wants to be on..

Now which one would you choose?
-

Last edited:
Lets's just sum up quickly before we archive this uncanny thread full of anguish, drama and, well, pure boredom .. about a football player visiting some football clubs:

While the Jets were cooking and the Steelers ultimating .. BB was building a historically great team that every player wants to be on..

Now which one would you choose?
-

Depends on the player. Which is why, again, I hate guys who say "I want to go to a championship team; I want to win". I will always, always go back to Matt Forte saying that ADAMANTLY........only to go to the Jets. Yes, they had won double digit games the previous season, but their track record does not scream "WINNER". Just say "I want a ****load of $$$". I'll respect you more then.

Just say "I want a ****load of $$$". I'll respect you more then.

Exactly. I will never, ever begrudge a player going for the max contract. Just don't insult my intelligence about it. I always loved how Shaun Jefferson handled it when he left NE. He said he liked his time in NE but he got a better offer elsewhere and he was upfront about that he was leaving to take a better offer.

Depends on the player. Which is why, again, I hate guys who say "I want to go to a championship team; I want to win". I will always, always go back to Matt Forte saying that ADAMANTLY........only to go to the Jets. Yes, they had won double digit games the previous season, but their track record does not scream "WINNER". Just say "I want a ****load of $$$". I'll respect you more then.

It's a symptom of them getting a free pass. If they were embarrassed enough to admit what they truly want it would be much better. A player who says they are all about winning yet go to a loser franchise for more money need to be mocked and vilified.

Exactly. I will never, ever begrudge a player going for the max contract. Just don't insult my intelligence about it. I always loved how Shaun Jefferson handled it when he left NE. He said he liked his time in NE but he got a better offer elsewhere and he was upfront about that he was leaving to take a better offer.
Floyd is a total piece of **** but, I do appreciate he is open in saying he doesn't really care about anything but money lol (well that and his unbeaten record...). That was the highlight of that pathetic Pacquiao-Floyd fight.

It's a symptom of them getting a free pass. If they were embarrassed enough to admit what they truly want it would be much better. A player who says they are all about winning yet go to a loser franchise for more money need to be mocked and vilified.
Gar/Pax dumping Rose and Noah to "get younger" and then bringing in Wade and Rondo was fantastic (even in their primes that duo makes no sense...).

Would have loved to seen Jefferson back here as a coach of the WR.. Always liked him as a player..

What we fail to acknowledge is that playoff and superbowl money is a mere
pittance to an extra 3 million dollars per year. For every Brady and Bruschi
there are hundreds who want to squeeze out every nickel.

Jets now out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes