PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All quiet on Hightower front or Dont'a-do-it FA tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
After TE position settled and Butler tendered - the only big remaining question to me is what happens with Hightower.

Not much news out there which normally would be a good sign but not necessarily around Patriots players - since most of them carry Foxboro culture also to the FA.

The (somewhat realistic) rumours I came across were about Titans and Raiders (possibly Detroit) and even that was days or even weeks ago. Please share what else you heard here..

Here are two proposed contracts - that seam reasonable in the light of latest contracts for top Fas flying around:

upload_2017-3-9_13-12-19.png

And this is what Patspulpit reported about Corry proposal:

Joel Corry, a former sports agent and founder of Premier Sports and Entertainment that's moved on to covering NFL contracts and salary-cap stuff for CBS Sports, can help us out a little bit.

Contract package: $67.5 million / 5 years
Overall guarantees: $35 million (last $5 million injury only)
Fully guaranteed at signing: $30 million
First three years: $42 million

Full articles here:
Crafting an extension with Dont’a Hightower
Oh boy, this agent's projected Dont'a Hightower contract is insane
_____

While this seem to be way outside of Pats proposal and what they might consider paying, most rumours out there strangely still favour Hightower coming back. The latest Reiss' take from last night was he has a feeling Hightower comes back too.

On the other hand Chandler Jones' contract from last night looked real scary (also bc Hightower was for sure well aware of it).

Pats have the money of course. But they also have long-term financial discipline second to none, clear salary structure, trust in their evaluations .. and are always prepared in case they have to move on.
_____

Hightower is now the top 3 remaining FA. Those usually go within first minutes of the market that opens at 4PM. I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case w Hightower. Lombardi says that before the deadline the two options remain opened for a player. So it would be a good guess it is about Pats and another team.

In any case I wouldn't mind hearing much about Hightower in the next 24..

___
Here one of the articles about possibilities if High is gone. There are many around..
Guregian: Linebacker Dont’a Hightower in driver’s seat of free agent talks with Patriots

Chandler jones got 17 mill a year with 50 mill guaranteed. I don't think Hightower is taking 12-13 and 30.

Chandler jones got 17 mill a year with 50 mill guaranteed. I don't think Hightower is taking 12-13 and 30.

And with this, Arizona's Super Bowl window has officially closed.

After TE position settled and Butler tendered - the only big remaining question to me is what happens with Hightower.

Not much news out there which normally would be a good sign but not necessarily around Patriots players - since most of them carry Foxboro culture also to the FA.

The (somewhat realistic) rumours I came across were about Titans and Raiders (possibly Detroit) and even that was days or even weeks ago. Please share what else you heard here..

Here are two proposed contracts - that seam reasonable in the light of latest contracts for top Fas flying around:

View attachment 16502

And this is what Patspulpit reported about Corry proposal:

Joel Corry, a former sports agent and founder of Premier Sports and Entertainment that's moved on to covering NFL contracts and salary-cap stuff for CBS Sports, can help us out a little bit.

Contract package: $67.5 million / 5 years
Overall guarantees: $35 million (last $5 million injury only)
Fully guaranteed at signing: $30 million
First three years: $42 million

Full articles here:
Crafting an extension with Dont’a Hightower
Oh boy, this agent's projected Dont'a Hightower contract is insane
_____

While this seem to be way outside of Pats proposal and what they might consider paying, most rumours out there strangely still favour Hightower coming back. The latest Reiss' take from last night was he has a feeling Hightower comes back too.

On the other hand Chandler Jones' contract from last night looked real scary (also bc Hightower was for sure well aware of it).

Pats have the money of course. But they also have long-term financial discipline second to none, clear salary structure, trust in their evaluations .. and are always prepared in case they have to move on.
_____

Hightower is now the top 3 remaining FA. Those usually go within first minutes of the market that opens at 4PM. I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case w Hightower. Lombardi says that before the deadline the two options remain opened for a player. So it would be a good guess it is about Pats and another team.

In any case I wouldn't mind hearing much about Hightower in the next 24..

___
Here one of the articles about possibilities if High is gone. There are many around..
Guregian: Linebacker Dont’a Hightower in driver’s seat of free agent talks with Patriots

I don't think that's crazy at all, it's almost exactly what I said yesterday but I had it at $65/5/40 guaranteed. 13 a season seems pretty much what it should take to get this done, I just don't believe they will go beyond that.

Agreed. No way in hell. And he (High) actually earned his next contact. Lol

I don't think that's crazy at all, it's almost exactly what I said yesterday but I had it at $65/5/40 guaranteed. 13 a season seems pretty much what it should take to get this done, I just don't believe they will go beyond that.
If someone is willing to pay chandler jones 17 mill a year who would no one be willing to pay Hightower more than 13?
I hope you are right but the contracts being offered say you can't touch Hightower for 13. He'll Jamie Collins got 12.5.

If someone is willing to pay chandler jones 17 mill a year who would no one be willing to pay Hightower more than 13?
I hope you are right but the contracts being offered say you can't touch Hightower for 13. He'll Jamie Collins got 12.5.

I don't think the Patriots will go beyond 65/5/40, that doesn't mean another team wouldn't: I would like to see them offer him that deal and hope it will get it done.

Well, it should be quiet until after 4 PM when free agency actually starts.

You're probably right, since it all depends on the open market now (which is notoriously insane). But that said, edge rushers usually get more than inside linebackers, and even though Hightower can and has rushed off the edge at times, I think the league still considers him an ILB.

I don't know what Hightower gets but it won't be what Jones got. The reality is that Arizona made a splash trade for Jones, they had to re-sign him to make the trade look viable.

Allowing Hightower to explore is options is very ballsy, but he may find that his Market is not as high as he thinks. The guy is an incredible backer in the Patriots system but he does have his shortcomings, notably in coverage, and has battled numerous injuries throughout his career. I hope he's back but I certainly don't expect the Pats to offer him anywhere near what Jones just got.

I think he's gone. He has all the reasons to take money over championships, and the Patriots have all the reasons to not commit a huge part of their salary cap on a guy that is awesome but is on the verge of breaking down, LB is a tough position, he gives 100% on the field and already dealt with some nagging injuries.

As usual, BB doesn't pay for past performance, and this money can be spread around the roster.

You're probably right, since it all depends on the open market now (which is notoriously insane). But that said, edge rushers usually get more than inside linebackers, and even though Hightower can and has rushed off the edge at times, I think the league still considers him an ILB.
I don't know why Hightower would be considered an ILB. he doesn't play there. We haven't run a 34 in a long time. We play 2 lbs 85% of the time. He isn't a MLB, he is just a LB
I believe that it's likely if he leaves he ends up in a 34 team and basically turns into the role of willie mcginest.

I think he's gone. He has all the reasons to take money over championships, and the Patriots have all the reasons to not commit a huge part of their salary cap on a guy that is awesome but is on the verge of breaking down, LB is a tough position, he gives 100% on the field and already dealt with some nagging injuries.

As usual, BB doesn't pay for past performance, and this money can be spread around the roster.
Why would he have all the reasons take money over championships? He seems to me to be a guy who values winning rather than dismissing the importance of it.

I don't think the Patriots will go beyond 65/5/40, that doesn't mean another team wouldn't: I would like to see them offer him that deal and hope it will get it done.
Why are you drawing that line?

Why would he have all the reasons take money over championships? He seems to me to be a guy who values winning rather than dismissing the importance of it.

He already has two and he gets nicked up a lot. He very reasonably may be viewing this as his chance to score his one big payday and I wouldn't blame him in the least.

He already has two and he gets nicked up a lot. He very reasonably may be viewing this as his chance to score his one big payday and I wouldn't blame him in the least.
Why would winning cause someone to care less about winning?
He is getting his big pay day one way or another. It's just a matter of taking a little less because you understand a team that stays competitive and challenges for championships every year needs to spread money further to put better players around you.
And this whole injury thing in ht is so overblown.
He has had a few minor, not chronic injury and most of the games he has missed was big picture thinking to test him when he could have played if needed. Someone in this thread called him about to breakdown. Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft