PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Afterthoughts on “dress rehearsal“

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaffney doesn't play the same position as White and Foster. You are correct. The team likely evaluates White much more highly than you do. They made a bit of a statement when Foster was reduced to scrub reps in the 3rd pre-season game.

Gee...I thought they were all RB's ;) Maybe you mean they don't play the same role as a RB...:p

picky picky :D

Foster's first live action in quite a while...maybe coaches wanted to ease him in to knock some rust off......he looked very smooth both catching and running....I believe he'd be a nice addition if he stays healthy......I hear a few teams were after him when he signed with Pats so making it to the PS probably won't happen.....

Last edited:
I think some of you are giving up on Coleman a bit too quickly. I think there's still a chance for him. We'll see.
Coleman is fine as a 4th or 5th DB but in practically every matchup on the outside he has been beaten. He feels very "Arrington-ish" to me

IMO LeBlanc, Jones and Roberts have more upside.

That's why he is gone

I want DJ Foster to stick on the 53. If he shows anything in pass protection, I want at least one of Bolden /White gone. Yes they are good at certain things but their ability to just rush is pathetic at times.

Here's what I keep getting stuck on:

This team needs two receiving backs.

It's an essential role on this offense, and one of the most-injured positions in the game. They've paid the price in the past when they only carried one. So until Lewis returns, I want both White and Foster. That may mean giving up a more well-rounded player, or carrying too many RBs.

Been trying to figure out the CB situation, and it seems like J. Jones and LeBlanc have the edge over Roberts and Coleman right now.
They should all have the edge on Coleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at our current and future RB picture losing Foster would look pretty stupid. We don't know what's he got against top D or how he blocks etc. - but the way he moves, the way he floats between bodies with a different speed, his elusiveness, effortless pass catching and running with the ball is just too much potential to play with.
yeah how will we survive without the UDFA who hasnt played but has looked good in film. Remember how great Darryl Roberts was in training camp last year? Hows that going this year?

It's an essential role on this offense, and one of the most-injured positions in the game. They've paid the price in the past when they only carried one. So until Lewis returns, I want both White and Foster. That may mean giving up a more well-rounded player, or carrying too many RBs.
Yep. Bolden is on the bubble

It was. But not recognizing the blitz and turning short (on the play where JG got strip-sacked) wasn't very good.

I like Derby a lot and have him on every 53 I've done. But since Develin's going nowhere, I believe, it's between him and Harbor. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.

good point, i hadn't even noticed that. he only takes a few steps before turning, but he should have turned immediately after seeing that Worley (#26) was blitzing:

good point, i hadn't even noticed that. he only takes a few steps before turning, but he should have turned immediately after seeing that Worley (#26) was blitzing:

I hadn't seen it before, but #26 actually hits Garappolo in the head. Should have been a flag there based on the rules.
Also, this is one of the plays where White just can't handle his blocking assignment..

I hadn't seen it before, but #26 actually hits Garappolo in the head. Should have been a flag there based on the rules.
Also, this is one of the plays where White just can't handle his blocking assignment..

That is a good point, and it is White's man who ultimately chases down and strip sacks Jimmy after he shakes off the initial sack attempt and rolls out.

At least White was able to recover the fumble he helped cause.

What's killing roster projections is having what seems like 5 million ST-only types. Not that I want them all gone, but just clearing Bolden, King and Slater would solve pretty much everyone's positional depth problems.

What's killing roster projections is having what seems like 5 million ST-only types. Not that I want them all gone, but just clearing Bolden, King and Slater would solve pretty much everyone's positional depth problems.

FWIW, Bolden and King are off my working 53. I see Slater as a different case in that I always pencil in a ST captain who puts ST first, attending meetings etc., and you can't beat his combo of leadership and skills.

FWIW, Bolden and King are off my working 53. I see Slater as a different case in that I always pencil in a ST captain who puts ST first, attending meetings etc., and you can't beat his combo of leadership and skills.

Brady - unpaid vacation
Lewis - PUP
Amendola - PUP
Jackson - PUP
Vollmer - IR
King - cut
Bolden - cut

Yeah, with all that done, getting to 53, with lots of binkies saved, shouldn't be a problem.

Brady - unpaid vacation
Lewis - PUP
Amendola - PUP
Jackson - PUP
Vollmer - IR
King - cut
Bolden - cut

Yeah, with all that done, getting to 53, with lots of binkies saved, shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't be surprised to see King traded for a conditional 7th to a team needing a gunner.. Especially since King was ranked 4th last year in STs tackles despite not playing in all 16 games..

Brady - unpaid vacation
Lewis - PUP
Amendola - PUP
Jackson - PUP
Vollmer - IR
King - cut
Bolden - cut

So one would think. And yet here's a 56-man roster:

QB (2) J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett
RB (5) L.Blount, T.Gaffney, J.White, D.Foster, J.Develin
WR (5) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, K.Martin, A.Dobson
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, M.Bennett, A.Derby
C (1) D.Andrews
G (5) J.Thuney, S.Mason, J.Cooper, J.Kline, T.Karras
T (4) N.Solder, M.Cannon, L.Waddle, C.Fleming
DE (4) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, C.Long, T.Flowers
DT (5) M.Brown, V.Valentine, A.Branch, A.Johnson, M.Kuhn
ILB(2) D.Hightower, E.Roberts
OLB(5) J.Collins, S.McClellin, B.Mingo, K.Grugier-Hill, J.Freeny
CB (6) M.Butler, C.Jones, L.Ryan, D.Roberts, J.Jones, C.LeBlanc
SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, Slater

OG is a particular problem spot, with Mason & Cooper neither available to play nor PUP-eligible.

So one would think. And yet here's a 56-man roster:

QB (2) J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett
RB (5) L.Blount, T.Gaffney, J.White, D.Foster, J.Develin
WR (5) J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, K.Martin, A.Dobson
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, M.Bennett, A.Derby
C (1) D.Andrews
G (5) J.Thuney, S.Mason, J.Cooper, J.Kline, T.Karras
T (4) N.Solder, M.Cannon, L.Waddle, C.Fleming
DE (4) R.Ninkovich, J.Sheard, C.Long, T.Flowers
DT (5) M.Brown, V.Valentine, A.Branch, A.Johnson, M.Kuhn
ILB(2) D.Hightower, E.Roberts
OLB(5) J.Collins, S.McClellin, B.Mingo, K.Grugier-Hill, J.Freeny
CB (6) M.Butler, C.Jones, L.Ryan, D.Roberts, J.Jones, C.LeBlanc
SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, Slater

OG is a particular problem spot, with Mason & Cooper neither available to play nor PUP-eligible.

Yeah, but that's not just carrying lots of binkies. That's going crazy with them. Fleming, for example...

Yeah, but that's not just carrying lots of binkies. That's going crazy with them. Fleming, for example...

Where you see "Fleming," read "#4 Tackle TBD." :)

Obviously there are potential spots to trim from that roster -- there are 56 of them, after all! Just saying that given the OL health situation, it's still not easy.

Where you see "Fleming," read "#4 Tackle TBD." :)

Obviously there are potential spots to trim from that roster -- there are 56 of them, after all! Just saying that given the OL health situation, it's still not easy.

Even if you keep "Fleming", I see two easy vet cuts (based upon play/lack thereof: Kuhn, McClellin) and at least one likely P.S. move (CB6), which would get you to 53 while letting you float Mingo, Foster, Cooper and Mason, and also letting you give Dobson yet another last chance.

Also, and I know it runs counter to the idea of making the 53 as of right now....

Foster (for example) is one of those guys for whom week 4 may actually matter, so there are still a couple of spots that could clear themselves up in the next week of practice/exhibition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe