PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Afterthoughts on “dress rehearsal“

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like what I've seen from Elandon Roberts so far this preseason; he sticks his nose in there and is a strong tackler. Don't see him making the 53 at this point but would be a strong PS player.

Anthony Johnson is active and quick up the middle; he's also tenacious. He may not have shown up with a sack last night, but he was pressuring the Panthers' backfield. He's disruptive, and I hope he's on the 53.

I like the way Gaffney hits the hole and moves upfield.

Hogan runs good routes, gets open and has sure hands; he's going to be a key player this season.

J. Jones is an impact STer and should be on this team.

C. Jones is going to break a PR for a TD or two this season and is probably the third CB.

I realize Bolden is a core STer and a decent sub RB, but it seems like there are better options on the roster.

Valentine looked stout as he held his ground on the plays I saw him in. They should let Kuhn and Knighton go and keep the younger DL players like Johnson.

2. The core team looks very good, D beautiful, magic. The new core guy is Valentine. Together with Brown they were monsters. Unbelievable. Kuhn and Knighton at the moment don't seem necessary. Flowers another great night rushing. Jonathan Jones to me is a core ST. I just can't see him cut. They couldn't even start returning on account of him. Coleman solidified his spot. Cyrus in the core as well with returns. I didn't see much of Harbor and I saw a lot of Develin. A lot of positives from A group.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you.
Coleman is last on the depth chart based on what I saw last night. He was repeatedly beaten by his man. The only thing that saved him from at least 2 TDs was that on one there was an over-throw and the other the guy flat out dropped it.

LeBlanc and Jonathan Jones outplayed him, hands down. Roberts is probably better than him as well..

I like what I've seen from Elandon Roberts so far this preseason; he sticks his nose in there and is a strong tackler. Don't see him making the 53 at this point but would be a strong PS player.

Anthony Johnson is active and quick up the middle; he's also tenacious. He may not have shown up with a sack last night, but he was pressuring the Panthers' backfield. He's disruptive, and I hope he's on the 53.

Hogan runs good routes, gets open and has sure hands; he's going to be a key player this season.

C. Jones is going to break a PR for a TD or two this season and is probably the third CB.

I realize Bolden is a core STer and a decent sub RB, but it seems like there are better options on the roster.

Valentine looked stout as he held his ground on the plays I saw him in. They should let Kuhn and Knighton go and keep the younger DL players like Johnson.

A DT group of Brown, Valentine, A. Johnson, and A. Branch would be a pretty good group. I agree with your assessment of A. johnson as well.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you.
Coleman is last on the depth chart based on what I saw last night. He was repeatedly beaten by his man. The only thing that saved him from at least 2 TDs was that on one there was an over-throw and the other the guy flat out dropped it.

LeBlanc and Jonathan Jones outplayed him, hands down. Roberts is probably better than him as well..
Yea I'm not seeing it for Coleman either.

Only thing I'd disagree with is that Bolden is SO GOOD at picking up a blitz. He did it a couple of times last night, too. BB values that. I think he sticks.

Only thing I'd disagree with is that Bolden is SO GOOD at picking up a blitz. He did it a couple of times last night, too. BB values that. I think he sticks.

It doesn't do any good to "pick up the blitz" if the LB just goes right through you, as is what happened last night on two occasions. If you aren't preventing the LB from putting pressure on the QB, you've failed. And it wasn't only Bolden. White failed last night as well on at least 1.

ps. I am very excited about this year's draft.

Cyrus Jones will be a very good player and will start as a rookie.

Thuney looks like our left guard for the next few years - incredibly polished.

Brisset looks cool, athletic and smart back there. Great rookie start.

Vincent Valentine is a younger Branch/Knighton with great power.

Mitchell looked good in the short time we saw him.

Grugier-Hill might well make the 53 and has impressed everyone.

Roberts looked good last night.

Karras looks raw, but the potential is there.

Haven't seen much o f Lucien, so time will tell.

(And DJ Foster...please don't lose him.)

Been trying to figure out the CB situation, and it seems like J. Jones and LeBlanc have the edge over Roberts and Coleman right now.

IMHO I would sacrifice White to keep Gaffney and Foster.......but that's just my untrained eye.......

I'll ask BB and Josh what they think in our next meeting ;)

I don't want to see any of the CBs cut. So much potential in that group.

Which corners would you keep on the 53. IMHO, when we have 5 corners that can play reasonably well, any one else is competing for the Practice Squad.

CORNERS: Butler, Ryan, Jones, Coleman, LeBlanc
===========
IMHO, Roberts is not worth a roster spot as a corner or as a special teamer. Do you disagree? Would you keep him instead of LeBlanc or Coleman?

IMHO, J Jones has shown a lot. HOWEVER, I would not give him a ST spot over Ebner, King or KGH. Would you?

IMHO I would sacrifice White to keep Gaffney and Foster.......but that's just my untrained eye.......

I'll ask BB and Josh what they think in our next meeting ;)

Gaffney doesn't play the same position as White and Foster. You are correct. The team likely evaluates White much more highly than you do. They made a bit of a statement when Foster was reduced to scrub reps in the 3rd pre-season game.

Id keep another CB and one less S. I think they would more likely make the PS than the good CB prospects.

Which corners would you keep on the 53. IMHO, when we have 5 corners that can play reasonably well, any one else is competing for the Practice Squad.

===========
IMHO, Roberts is not worth a roster spot as a corner or as a special teamer. Do you disagree? Would you keep him instead of LeBlanc or Coleman?

IMHO, J Jones has shown a lot. HOWEVER, I would not give him a ST spot over Ebner, King or KGH. Would you?
Yes

===========

Id keep a guy who virtually annihilates return game and plays on a similar level to the bubble CB's. They all have ups and downs all the time since the start of TC.

===========

J. Jones looks like an impact gunner, a different ST position from the safeties.

Roberts is the tallest CB on the roster, with good speed and leaping ability as well. There are certain matchups where you'd want a guy like that.

LeBlanc has IMO shown the best pure cover skills of the three.

I can talk myself into any of them being in the lead.

Last edited:
I want DJ Foster to stick on the 53. If he shows anything in pass protection, I want at least one of Bolden /White gone. Yes they are good at certain things but their ability to just rush is pathetic at times.

So far I still want Kline gone. My dislike for him has been consistent. You can't expect to have a running game with him in the lineup. Even before the shoulder injury, he lacks raw power.

Cornerback battle is still pretty even. It is not often we have this many quality guys. J. Jones is showing up on st but I have been most impressed by Daryl Roberts. Outside of one deep ball that he was still competitive on, I haven't really seen him beat and he deflected some short passes that are usually completions. LeBlanc is in the mix but I think he is the first to go.

Anthony Johnson has been too disruptive to imagine a scenario where he isn't on the 53.

Linebackers were inconsistent. I expect almost all of them to be cut.

I think Dobson has a spot. Contract year is no joke lol. Edelman, Dobson, Hogan, and Mitchell seems like one of the best groups we have ever had going into the regular season.

===========

1. I would try to keep all seven corners although I recognise that won't be easy. It's one of the positions you need to stock up on, particularly as you need three pretty much every play,

2. Yes we have some good special teamers. I thought Jones' gunning the other night was terrific. Bearing in mind that King never sees the field aside from special teams whereas Jones looks like he might be a capable slot CB in time, that's where I think he'd fit. But I also recognise that King was a terrific STer last year too.

Yea I'm not seeing it for Coleman either.
I think some of you are giving up on Coleman a bit too quickly. I think there's still a chance for him. We'll see.

20-yard reception on a 2nd and 19 is nice, though:

It was. But not recognizing the blitz and turning short (on the play where JG got strip-sacked) wasn't very good.

I like Derby a lot and have him on every 53 I've done. But since Develin's going nowhere, I believe, it's between him and Harbor. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe