PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: Patriots want minimum of 1st and 4th round picks for QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tag and trade wouldn't work with him. No one would give up a high pick for an relative unknown with a 22m tag on him. Can you imagine JG as he signs that tender? Like winning the lottery.

They can get a 2nd for him or wait and get a 4th round comp pick. They're not going to resign him for big money to sit on a bench. And if he wants to play, he won't re-sign to sit on a bench.
I disagree, Kenny. No matter where Garoppolo goes, he's most likely making right around 20m a year, and that is likely starting in 2018. Someone will need to sign him to a new long term deal.

If a team is actually going to part with a 1st round pick (some expect even more), they're going to be prepared to treat him like a franchise QB. With guys like Osweiler bringing in 18m a year with very limited exposure, I would think 20m would be comparable--especially since it would come two full years later.

A first and 4th is not worth a guy you think is a franchise quarterback.

I disagree, Kenny. No matter where Garoppolo goes, he's most likely making right around 20m a year, and that is likely starting in 2018. Someone will need to sign him to a new long term deal.

If a team is actually going to part with a 1st round pick (some expect even more), they're going to be prepared to treat him like a franchise QB. With guys like Osweiler bringing in 18m a year with very limited exposure, I would think 20m would be comparable--especially since it would come two full years later.
That makes even less sense. He has 2 games of experience. It would be like me telling you to buy my used camry for 50k because that's what nice car's cost and you do want to buy a nice car don't you?

JG isn't a franchise qb necessarily but if you want him to be one, pay him huge money and trade picks for him. It's cause and effect. He isn't going to be a great qb just because you pay him like one.

I need a great programmer so I'll hire this guy with minimal experience and pay him top dollar and his performance will match his salary.

This is delusional stuff even for this board and I'm actually a JG fan. Matt Moore of the pHins looks really good and he makes about 1/10 of 20m per year. "But moore is just a backup, JG is a franchise", says who?

Osweiler looked great in denver, you think someone would be stupid enough to make a similar mistake with JG? And give up draft pick to boot?

This is like the 6th overall pick we got for that tall qb from Arkansas. Didn't work out quite like that.

I would like for the Pats to keep Garoppolo, if for no other reason than insurance at the quarterback position. However, I'd be mighty curious to see how many draft picks Belichick could turn Cleveland's number one pick in the first round into.

I rather see him go to an NFC team like the bears, I think he might be a good fit there since the weather is cold as New England.

This is delusional stuff even for this board and I'm actually a JG fan. Matt Moore of the pHins looks really good and he makes about 1/10 of 20m per year. "But moore is just a backup, JG is a franchise", says who?

Osweiler looked great in denver, you think someone would be stupid enough to make a similar mistake with JG? And give up draft pick to boot?
All of the talk from fans and media members is based on the assumption that someone will part with at least a first round pick for him, so obviously he's going to be paid like a franchise QB. His contract is up in 15 months. As a matter of fact, the suggestion of high picks is even in the title of the thread and a comment by Schefter.

I don't even understand the debate, to be perfectly honest with you. You're suggesting that Garoppolo will bring a higher round draft pick, right? Obviously, if that's the case he's going to be a starter and rightfully paid like one.

I would like for the Pats to keep Garoppolo, if for no other reason than insurance at the quarterback position. However, I'd be mighty curious to see how many draft picks Belichick could turn Cleveland's number one pick in the first round into.
I couldn't imagine too many scenarios where he brings the very top pick in the draft as compensation.

I will be happy with a first rounder in the teens, and pleasantly surprised at anything more.

A first and 4th is not worth a guy you think is a franchise quarterback.
For NE, you mean? The biggest obstacle for keeping him is having to pay 2 QBs good money, particularly when Brady's cap hits climb to 22 million. Belichick isn't likely going to tie up 35-40 million at the QB position alone.

The second biggest obstacle would likely be the fact that Garoppolo wants a chance to lead his own team, even if Belichick somehow offered a good contract for a backup.

I think TB12's unprecedented situation is making the decision easy right now, although Belichick could choose to wait another season and allow the situation an attempt at playing itself out.

That makes even less sense. He has 2 games of experience. It would be like me telling you to buy my used camry for 50k because that's what nice car's cost and you do want to buy a nice car don't you?

JG isn't a franchise qb necessarily but if you want him to be one, pay him huge money and trade picks for him. It's cause and effect. He isn't going to be a great qb just because you pay him like one.

I need a great programmer so I'll hire this guy with minimal experience and pay him top dollar and his performance will match his salary.

This is like the 6th overall pick we got for that tall qb from Arkansas. Didn't work out quite like that.

He's a 2nd round physical talent, and he's looked awesome in what limited reps he's got. He's still young, he's cheap, and he's been groomed by the best organization in football.

He's certainly as-if-not-more attractive than Goff or Wentz was, and look at the King's ransoms those guys demanded.

I'm not sure I agree with the parallel you're trying to make although I do see where you're coming from.

First, while he did get "limited reps and exposure" as far as the normal football fan is concerned, to the key football people, his reps read like a thick book.

They saw that he is a well-groomed quarterback with a full arsenal of tools, who has outstanding footwork and throwing mechanism. They saw how well he slid protection and how accurately he identified the mike or hot blitz, and that he was not afraid to audible if he saw a mismatch, and more importantly that he had a sizable bag of tricks (freezing the middle safety with his eyes and hitting Hogan on the seam, for example). But more importantly, they saw that on the national stage, he didn't wilt under the pressure or fold in the spotlight, he went 24-33 with 0 INT. How many NFL quarterbacks can do all those things, and right away?

I think it's the equivalent of an experienced car mechanic taking a quick look under the hood and listening to the engine and saying "whoa, this is a well-tuned engine- someone took real good care of this car" as opposed to a hack who kicks the tire.

So I'd be real surprised if JG didn't get a 1st and something else.

I rather see him go to an NFC team like the bears, I think he might be a good fit there since the weather is cold as New England.
Yea but the people aren't as cool there.

:p

Yea but the people aren't as cool there.

:p
Many Chicagoans make New Englanders look like we have inferiority complexes...there's full of yourself and then there's Chicago...

Tag and trade wouldn't work with him. No one would give up a high pick for an relative unknown with a 22m tag on him. Can you imagine JG as he signs that tender? Like winning the lottery.

They can get a 2nd for him or wait and get a 4th round comp pick. They're not going to resign him for big money to sit on a bench. And if he wants to play, he won't re-sign to sit on a bench.
Yeah, what NFL team would trade away a bunch of their draft picks for a QB who has never played in the NFL before and then pay the guy a boatload of money?
Jared Goff

For NE, you mean? The biggest obstacle for keeping him is having to pay 2 QBs good money, particularly when Brady's cap hits climb to 22 million. Belichick isn't likely going to tie up 35-40 million at the QB position alone.

The second biggest obstacle would likely be the fact that Garoppolo wants a chance to lead his own team, even if Belichick somehow offered a good contract for a backup.

I think TB12's unprecedented situation is making the decision easy right now, although Belichick could choose to wait another season and allow the situation an attempt at playing itself out.

If New England thinks Jimmy is a franchise quarterback, I would try to get more than a first and a fourth. Seems relatively low but then again the guy never played a full season. I would just hate to see Jimmy turn out to be an all pro player and then the Patriots struggle to find a qb for 10 years. I do think it's important to consider you don't need a top 5 QB to win the Super Bowl. In my opinion Flacco, Eli, Wilson(was not top 5 in 2013, I don't think he's top 5 now either), Peyton for his second, roethlisberger in his first we're not top 5 quarterbacks.

Many Chicagoans make New Englanders look like we have inferiority complexes...there's full of yourself and then there's Chicago...

Its obnoxious.

If the other teams can't evaluate Jimmy fully, they should just ask BB. I'm sure he'll tell them how great he is.

Anything that doesn't bring in a high 1st plus a 2nd or 3rd does not offset the value of a backup that would be in a position to win it all.

Even in the small sample set, it is clear he has all the tools ..... using osweiler as a comparison is idiotic .... it is more like drew brees that you're looking at

If New England thinks Jimmy is a franchise quarterback, I would try to get more than a first and a fourth. Seems relatively low but then again the guy never played a full season. I would just hate to see Jimmy turn out to be an all pro player and then the Patriots struggle to find a qb for 10 years. I do think it's important to consider you don't need a top 5 QB to win the Super Bowl. In my opinion Flacco, Eli, Wilson(was not top 5 in 2013, I don't think he's top 5 now either), Peyton for his second, roethlisberger in his first we're not top 5 quarterbacks.
Would Pats fans really be upset if trading Jimmy this offseason led Brady and the team to one or two more Super Bowl titles (after the potential one this year)?
I would be okay with Jimmy being an All Pro player for another team in 2020 if that meant the Pats franchise had 6 or more championships.

Would Pats fans really be upset if trading Jimmy this offseason led Brady and the team to one or two more Super Bowl titles (after the potential one this year)?
I would be okay with Jimmy being an All Pro player for another team in 2020 if that meant the Pats franchise had 6 or more championships.

If anyone disagrees with you they need to have their head examined. Especially if BB drafts 2-3 impact players that are Pro-Bowl caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back